APOD Firearms

I like to drink a lot...of water. TX dry climate and heat, what's your water plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    if you drink bottled water regularly - i suppose you could have a base stock - and work thru a rotation of using the oldest stuff and replacing it so that you always have a certain amount on hand
    ^^^What we do in the hellishhorses household. Wife gets irritated that she can't use her kitchen closet because it's filled with Sam's water when it goes on sale. I stock up on their $2.48 32/ct — 10 cases of water for $25. We also have the hot tub for emergency uses, but a rainwater collection tank would be a much better option. With my pool equipment resources, I'm thinking I could do much better.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    For the price that bottled water is, you would be crazy not to have at least a week or two stocked up, especially if you don't have another source.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    Here's the 40,000 gallon tank. Orange 4' level is for reference.

40K tank.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
      photo 1.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 308

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    Here are two 10,000 tanks that we had before we got the 40,000. The orange 4' level is for reference.They're not collecting rainwater. They have fire hose connections and I keep them filled in case of a fire. The closest hydrant is about 1 mile away.

photo 3.jpg

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    This sounds so awesome.

Thanks. The water tastes great, too. My wife went to a restaurant in Austin the other day and commented about how awful the water tasted.

That said, collecting rainwater is challenging. There are 100+ things that can go wrong, from clogged gutters to loose connectors causing huge leaks to dead squirrels. And of course, droughts. The process, though, is pretty simple. Depending on your situation, you could create a small version off of a single existing gutter to see how it works and learn the lessons with a small, cheap system.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I'm also on rain catchment, FYI in Texas all parts purchased for rain catchment are sales tax free, which adds up quick when you are spending $1000+ on tanks and equipment.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    This is a whole 'nother level right there.

The secondary market for fiberglass tanks like that isn't great. We thought about selling them to the guy who installed the big system, but we wouldn't have got much money for them. And he couldn't offer much because he'd likely have to sit on them for a while. Around that same time, a house not too far from us burned to the ground because the Driftwood VFD couldn't get enough water to it in time. So, we figured we'd keep the tanks and have them full just in case. They're much closer to the house than the big tank, and are about 25' higher than the house. A truck can drive right up to them and hook up, if necessary.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    A quick scan & did not find any "proof for purchase" requirements....
    Where I'm at catchment is so common that I just mention that's what it is for and they pull the sales tax off. I've never had to do more than that but then this is here.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    [Q

The secondary market for fiberglass tanks like that isn't great. We thought about selling them to the guy who installed the big system, but we wouldn't have got much money for them. And he couldn't offer much because he'd likely have to sit on them for a while. Around that same time, a house not too far from us burned to the ground because the Driftwood VFD couldn't get enough water to it in time. So, we figured we'd keep the tanks and have them full just in case. They're much closer to the house than the big tank, and are about 25' higher than the house. A truck can drive right up to them and hook up, if necessary.

SH- Great info!!! I'm not there yet, but you certainly set the bar high and give me some things to think about when we do finally move out of the city.

Obamascared

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    I bought a bunch of these straws from last gun show that purfy water anyone no if it was a big waste of money. Supposedly one star can purify 100 gallions of pooh water. He right you have to have pool or a live water source to get beyond a couple of weeks.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom