Target Sports

I like to drink a lot...of water. TX dry climate and heat, what's your water plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    what is the typical shelf life of bottled water? (store bought)?

Indefinite. Water doesn't go "bad". Only reason why you'll see "expiration" dates on them, is because the FDA requires it on everything. As long as the container is sealed, and doesn't have a breech, then the water won't go bad, nor need any additional purification. However, storage is key and plastic is NOT the best container. Plastic lets odors into the water. The water might be good, biologically, but can end up tasting "off". I've got several of the stainless/aluminum bottles that I've stored water in for "in case". It's not much, but it's enough for the immediate short term. All that I did for those is boil tap water and then pour it into the container, seal while still hot. Boiling purifies the water and the container, helping ensure no contamination.
    ARJ Defense ad

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    so the plastic doesnt "break down" at some point and contaminate the water?

I'd say in a controlled environment, away from UV light, then not really, at least not in the amount of time to be concerned about. However, in UV light, plastic (that doesn't have UV inhibitors) breaks down fairly readily. The plastic then becomes brittle and I think you'd have to worry more about loss of water due to breakage than contamination.

Your two major concerns with plastics, in general, are heat and UV light. Some plastics are more susceptible and some are more resilient. As long as you keep those two taken care of, then I'm comfortable saying indefinite as far as we're concerned.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Sunlight breaks down the plastic water bottles.
    Stored indoors they're good for decades.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    What you don't see in the picture is the demand pump near the tank. That's what pressurizes the system to and through the house. I'd have to check, but I think it's 60 psi drawing less than an amp.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    A 10,000g water collection system. Water is ionized and double filtered for regular use and triple filtered with charcoal water filter for drinking water.

q3tz.jpg

37hw.jpg
    zspg.JPG

Last edited:

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A 10,000g water collection system. Water is ionized and double filtered for regular use and triple filtered with charcoal water filter for drinking water.
    q3tz.jpg

q3tz.jpg

37hw.jpg

zspg.JPG

Mind sharing your total cost on the collection, storage and delivery systems?

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I believe it was about 12,000 almost 7 years ago. You might get away with about 9,000 for all the goods if you did the work yourself. I believe the tank alone is about 6,000-7,000g's. It's been a while since I last checked.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I bwlieve it was about 12,000 almost 7 years ago. You might get away with about 9,000 for all the goods if you did the work yourself. I believe the tank alone is about 6,000-7,000g's. It's been a while since I last checked.

Thank you.
    Looks doable. There's a tank dealer close to here.
    Ive got a few stops to make.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The video channel Sig posted has a lot of good info.

Another interesting question, I don't plan on staying in my house for more than a few years, so I'll have to try to setup something that I can take apart and bring with me to where I land next. That's if I go full hog on this.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I have a 1,200 gallon tank attached to my deepwell. Also have an artesian well about 50 yards from my house I could use in an emergency.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Do you have a hand pump on the regular well?

Nope. Regular well uses an electric air compressor to flow water into the tank. I have a standby generator with enough propane to run for about 2 weeks.

Forgot to mention I have a 26,000 gallon swimming pool and a 1/2 acre pond. Also live about 2 miles from Toledo Bend.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Funny you mentioning this. Just came across this cool vid series, and it's from a guy in San Antonio:

Rainwater Collection System Series - YouTube

Minus the cost of materials, can't beat FREE water! ;)

Also, seems like the most important aspect always boils down to filtering and purification. Any recommendations there? Lately, I've been thinking about getting a Berkey water filter for the kitchen. I looked around at tons of other options, from whole house filtration systems, to portable/semi-portable types like Berkey's, but there are too many options to choose from.

My parents live in colorado and they had a rain water collection system on their house for their garden and the sheriff showed up and told them to take it down or they would and they wouldn't be easy about it either.

As for purification you can build a filter from sand, charcoal, and ceramic pellets. I have a large wood burning brick grill in my back yard so it's easy to boil any water I need.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My parents live in colorado and they had a rain water collection system on their house for their garden and the sheriff showed up and told them to take it down or they would and they wouldn't be easy about it either.

As for purification you can build a filter from sand, charcoal, and ceramic pellets. I have a large wood burning brick grill in my back yard so it's easy to boil any water I need.

Make sure it's activated charcoal.

Top Bottom