Gun Zone Deals

I like to drink a lot...of water. TX dry climate and heat, what's your water plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Funny you mentioning this. Just came across this cool vid series, and it's from a guy in San Antonio:

Rainwater Collection System Series - YouTube

Minus the cost of materials, can't beat FREE water! ;)

Also, seems like the most important aspect always boils down to filtering and purification. Any recommendations there? Lately, I've been thinking about getting a Berkey water filter for the kitchen. I looked around at tons of other options, from whole house filtration systems, to portable/semi-portable types like Berkey's, but there are too many options to choose from.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    i read on some of the prepper sites that you can store water in gallon jugs for up to a year with just a few drops of bleach in each container

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've just got my water filters from my hiking daze. A lot of work to get a liter of water and it just removes most parasites in the water, not chemicals (which is why I ask about about how to clean the pool water).

I suppose the first question I should ask is how much I can realistically keep on hand, how to store it and how long it will last.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I'm on full rainwater collection. No public water, no well. We have a 40,000 gallon tank that's full now after the recent rains, and that could last us for about 18 months. The filtration is a sand filter at the tank along with an ozone generator, and two canister filters and a UV light at the house. I haven't actually looked into this, but I suppose you could do without the sand filter if you have a decent filter at the collection point. The ozone is a good disinfectant, but bleach could replace that, I suppose. The final thing is the UV light which kills just about everything and draws about .5 amps. If you can run that and a pump off of some solar, you might have a stand alone system that could sustain you for a while (assuming it rains).

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm on full rainwater collection. No public water, no well. We have a 40,000 gallon tank that's full now after the recent rains, and that could last us for about 18 months. The filtration is a sand filter at the tank along with an ozone generator, and two canister filters and a UV light at the house. I haven't actually looked into this, but I suppose you could do without the sand filter if you have a decent filter at the collection point. The ozone is a good disinfectant, but bleach could replace that, I suppose. The final thing is the UV light which kills just about everything and draws about .5 amps. If you can run that and a pump off of some solar, you might have a stand alone system that could sustain you for a while (assuming it rains).

This sounds so awesome.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Long term water storage without looking like a prepper. Get a hot tub, fill it and use it. Buy a water bed, fill it and use it. When shtf, take out what you need. Choose your cleaning option Boil it/filter it/treat it, then drink it.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have been buying 2.5 gallon containers of water and keeping enough on hand for about a week. I'll rotate the stock from time to time as well. Some sort of filtration system has been in the plans though.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    i read on some of the prepper sites that you can store water in gallon jugs for up to a year with just a few drops of bleach in each container
    Water from your tap has already been treated if you are on a city water system. But bleach is the easiest and cheapest way to "purify" water. If you are going to treat large amounts you can use pool "shock" which is essentially concentrated bleach.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The GI water jugs are really really sturdy. I found some that look similar to them and they are made in Canada so have less bad chemicals in them. They are good to go, but not nearly as sturdy as those GI ones though. I found these at Academy awhile back but now all they have are the thin cheesy ones which are more for a weekend camping trip. I had these before and they do split and leak. I need to just get a 55 gallon barrel and put it in the garage.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    what is the typical shelf life of bottled water? (store bought)?

At least a year on mine that I just checked. It was Ozarka drinking water, not spring water. I say that, because on the HEB spring water, there was no date given. Not sure if the municipal sourced drinking water last longer due to it being processed the way it is rather then the spring water, but I felt better having a date on it.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    if you drink bottled water regularly - i suppose you could have a base stock - and work thru a rotation of using the oldest stuff and replacing it so that you always have a certain amount on hand

Top Bottom