• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I agree with ya Flash. If they don't send you any legal paperwork requesting/demanding your appearance, I would ignore it.

Can you get the IP address where the email actually originated? Can one ascertain whether or not it actually came from .gov??

Also, and I'm just rambling here... Perhaps they are investigating an individual and contacting address in his contacts w/o actually knowing who they are contacting. In that case, I certainly wouldn't answer it.

Interesting.. keep us updated.
    Agreed. I wouldn't do anything.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Jesus, people. If they busted an eBay seller then EMAIL addresses are what they have. It is a starting point.

Ebay recently had some kind of security breach (who hasn't?) and asked everyone to change their password. Certainly possible his email address was compromised. Hell, I get scam emails from Facebook contacts all the time. I delete them immediately.

It's hard for me to imagine that this is how a legitimate investigation is conducted but I certainly defer to your expertise.

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Airfare hotel and per diem is probably cheaper than the 6 flash lights.

I guess I'm the odd man out here but...

Let's assume that this guy stole far more merchandise than six flashlights. I'm sure this is a much bigger issue than that. I have NO SYMPATHY for thieves. I say roast the SOB if found guilty. Oh... and enjoy your free vacation while there.;)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I guess I'm the odd man out here but...

Let's assume that this guy stole far more merchandise than six flashlights. I'm sure this is a much bigger issue than that. I have NO SYMPATHY for thieves. I say roast the SOB if found guilty. Oh... and enjoy your free vacation while there.;)

Please note my statement was a joke mocking the gubbermint's ludicrous wasteful spending.

Assuming this isn't some sort of fraudulent activity, I would imagine your scenario is very likely.

That being said, is it robbery if you steal from a crook? ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When working eBay crimes, the email address is a starting point. However, the smart way to respond is to not call back; instead, let them serve you. From your email address, it's easy enough to get your real-world information. If NCIS wants you to testify somewhere, they'll find you. You don't need to contact them.

As for the economics of the situation, there are some things that are done on principle without regard to ROI.

Most murders are drug dealers killing other drug dealers, right? So the smart move, from a simple ROI viewpoint, is to ignore them. We don't do that and I should think the reasons are obvious. It's the principle of the thing.

If you're a tax return preparer and you get a return preparer penalty because you deliberately do things wrong, the penalty can be as low as $25. The IRS will spend any amount of money to make you pay that $25 as an example to others. It's the principle of the thing.

If a govt employee is stealing and selling govt property, the folks involved in the investigation may have a situation where, in their judgment, ROI is unimportant. They could simply be enforcing the principle of the thing.

Get where I'm coming from?

Top Bottom