• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    getting tired of the boring SUV people hauler that im the sole passanger in 99% of the time.

Was thinking i might get another MR2 since i had a v6 swapped one a few years back. this time i wanted a turbo, but their expensive and they can be finicky little bastards when they want to be. Then i recalled i always had a soft spot for E30 BMWs. not only are they cheap, but they are reliable and plentiful. And, a convertible sounds just as awesome as an mr2 t-tops car.

the more i browse, the more i want a 325is. then, i come across an e30 sitting on corvette salad shooters, and i think i may be in love. im bored and got nothing better to do and i feel like posting a picture. discuss.

1185710_10201231666825194_2079992030_n.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    325 BMW's .. are safe and cool.. i had an old 1969 1600 (looks like a 2002) i screwed up in the restoration process.. wrong paint.. did a lot myself, beyond my abilities.. but the 2002 if you can find one is also a forever car.. problem is so expensive now compared to the 325 series..

those vet wheels work.. can ya handle the low ground height.. ha ha... yeah the more i look at it, the more i love it to...

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    I won't be that low if I go that route. Those are probably coilover suspension for maaaaaaad lows, and I'm sure a bit more rubber can be put onto those wheels and still clear the fenders.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think a convertible e30 is a terrible idea. Get a Miata or Z3 or S2000 or something else that was designed from the ground up to be a convertible. In the one pictured above, I'd be asking a lot of questions on how they lowered it. They could have done a nice job with it or screwed it up. If you really want an e30, don't waste any time in getting one... They bottomed out several years ago and value on them is going back up (for decent ones anyways). I've been looking for the right deal on a 325i to build into a spec e30 racer for awhile. I think the great deals on them are gone :p

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    I think a convertible e30 is a terrible idea. Get a Miata or Z3 or S2000 or something else that was designed from the ground up to be a convertible. In the one pictured above, I'd be asking a lot of questions on how they lowered it. They could have done a nice job with it or screwed it up. If you really want an e30, don't waste any time in getting one... They bottomed out several years ago and value on them is going back up (for decent ones anyways). I've been looking for the right deal on a 325i to build into a spec e30 racer for awhile. I think the great deals on them are gone :p
    as far as the vert, im not into racing, i want something ejoyable and fun that looks good. ive was dead set on a t-top mr2 turbo, but then i remembered id be dropping $4-$5k for one. then i remembered the E30. honestly i might take it to a drift event once or twice, but other than that it would be a fun daily driver. top down is a nice way to drive.

as far as picking one up soon....just waiting on my taxes next year. theres currently a 325is vert on CL the owner is asking $3500, and ive seen it for a month. im sure he would take $2800, but....dont have the $$ right now.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I'd take the easy route and go for the Miata Dan mentioned...maybe a really good deal on a S2000...OR if you want to have a bit more room like the BMW, a MINI might be of interest. The MINI and S2000 aren't likely in the price range you seek, but a Miata could be.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Turn some heads ...

CTSV_01.jpg

CTS-V is a 4-door Corvette.

Less than 10,000 were made over a four year period.
    Blazing fast, amazing brakes and handling all in a package that yields 25mpg.

It could be yours ... it just sits in my shop and is rarely driven.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm thinking $3K might fall a tad short of the asking price.

But its fun to see jaws drop on fellers with GT Mustangs ....

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    I'm thinking $3K might fall a tad short of the asking price.

But its fun to see jaws drop on fellers with GT Mustangs ....

if i could i would. when i was in the market for a used car, i was looking at CTS-Vs and GTOs. they were just outta my price range and i wanted an SUV anyway (family mobile).

on that note: the GTOs sterring wheel is the ugliest thing i have ever seen.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    First time I drove a GTO I was amazed at how cramped it was inside.
    I'm a big guy, but can get in and out of a C5 with helmet, HANS and suit without a problem.
    The goat was like putting on a pair jeans a size too small.

And the back seat? well forgetaboutit ...

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Welp, ive pretty much decided on an e30 for next hear. hoping my tax return with a kid and full time student will get me a good bit of spare change to takle the last of my debts with enough left over for a decent e30 hoon mobile.

also been looking at this

E30V8.com - Home of the BMW E30 5.0 V8 conversion and a few of the build threads on the interwebs like this one from a couple of high school kids. Five- oh swap into an e30. - StanceWorks (38 pages of awesomeness from highschool kids)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    my budget is gonna be $2-$3k
    For that amount of money and if I wanted a nice coupe, the 91-94 (first-gen) Nissan Sentra SE-R was an upright, quick, good-handling machine. They were much prettier in person than in pictures. Too bad most of them have been bought up and converted to racers of some sort. If I could find a good one, I just might go for it.

ser_zpsc7ba3546.jpg

Actually, I don't know what they cost. I did some googling and didn't find anything but the last time I looked, several years ago, they were holding value and had achieved a sort of cult status. Anybody know what a good one will cost these days?

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    For that amount of money and if I wanted a nice coupe, the 91-94 (first-gen) Nissan Sentra SE-R was an upright, quick, good-handling machine. They were much prettier in person than in pictures. Too bad most of them have been bought up and converted to racers of some sort. If I could find a good one, I just might go for it.

ser_zpsc7ba3546.jpg

Actually, I don't know what they cost. I did some googling and didn't find anything but the last time I looked, several years ago, they were holding value and had achieved a sort of cult status. Anybody know what a good one will cost these days?

oh, that was definitely on my list. unfortunately its FWD, and thats a no go for me. they are also hard to find.

if i could find one id be looking at the old 80s model 200sx'.

Top Bottom