• ...and so much more!
  • AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    There are still a number of shiny blue rifles in America that need glossy scopes. You will have to pay an arm and leg to have a custom shop put on a glossy finish to a glass sight or shop for a good preowned one with gloss finish. Here I am with a glossy Leupold on my Browning A-Bolt II BOSS in .25-06. Both gun and scope spanking new in 1996. Unfortunately, I lost this gold-ring Vari-X II 1.75x6, 32 in a 1999 home burglary. This would have been my deer scope for life.

96 deer hunt.jpg

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Well, I went to Leupold site the other day and none were listed in GLOSS. I asked Leupold why not and here is their reply to me as follows:

Mr. Jones,

Thanks for reaching out! We at Leupold and Stevens are always innovating and improving our products and technology. While we regularly release new and improved products, others are discontinued based on demand and our production capacity. At this time we do not have any plans to bring back gloss finished riflescopes. If you feel strongly about finding this product, I recommend checking at a variety of retailers. While we are no longer producing them, it can take some time for products to make it to retailers so you may find one on the market. If any of our other products might work for you, please call us at 1-800-LEUPOLD or 503-526-1418. Our technicians can talk to you about what is important to you and help you find a current product that would suit your needs.

Regards,
    Zachary
    Leupold Technical Service

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Gloss scopes just don't look good on matte guns and matte scopes just don't look good on shiny blued guns. The majority of hunting long guns these days have matte finishes. American hunters are not as genteel in tastes anymore. They mostly have to look "tacticool" out getting venison for the freezer. It makes me wonder if their game freezers are even painted in camo.

tacticool deer.jpg

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Hit a gunshow, always a table or four with great scopes. I picked up a gloss brass ring Leupold 2.5x7 for $125 with Leupold rings last year in Fort Worth. It will live happily ever after on my Mannlicher Schonauer carbine.

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Hit a gunshow, always a table or four with great scopes. I picked up a gloss brass ring Leupold 2.5x7 for $125 with Leupold rings last year in Fort Worth. It will live happily ever after on my Mannlicher Schonauer carbine.

I will need a shiny Leupold like that should I luckily find one of two vintage rifles of my dreams:

a. very good to mint, Husqvarna (Swedish-made bolt-action) with walnut (non-gloss) Monte Carlo checkered stock, black pistol grip and for-end caps, white spacers, gloss blued finish, Mauser style action with polished-metal ball knob bolt handle

I will not need a scope at all if I am to find a:

b. very good to mint, Savage Model 99/1899 (American-made lever-action) with walnut (non-gloss) checkered pistol grip stock and iron sights; I would replace the factory open rear sight with an adjustable Barrel Mount Peep Sight as made by Skinner Sights, LLC; this would be my woods gun for deer

1622311128154.png

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Rather than whining/moaning about NO "glossy scopes", start haunting the estate sales, garage sales & thrift stores, as I do, for scopes by Leopold, Redfield, Weaver & even Zeiss. - IF you do that, you'll find what you want at prices from "almost nothing" to 100 bucks or so..

ADDENDA: Don't tell a soul as it's a secret. - LOTS of "cheap BUBBA-ized" surplus rifles are wearing HIGH-QUALITY scopes, that are worth more than the same rifle/scope combination.
    (Buy the scoped rifle, take off the GOOD scope, replace the scope with a "garage sale cheapie" & resell the "Bubba-modified" rifle for at least as much as you paid for it.)

All of my CF rifles have "bought used, on the cheap" 2X-6x scopes from the 1950s-80s.

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    To All,

Rather than whining/moaning about NO "glossy scopes", start haunting the estate sales, garage sales & thrift stores, as I do, for scopes by Leopold, Redfield, Weaver & even Zeiss. - IF you do that, you'll find what you want at prices from "almost nothing" to 100 bucks or so..

ADDENDA: Don't tell a soul as it's a secret. - LOTS of "cheap BUBBA-ized" surplus rifles are wearing HIGH-QUALITY scopes, that are worth more than the same rifle/scope combination.
    (Buy the scoped rifle, take off the GOOD scope, replace the scope with a "garage sale cheapie" & resell the "Bubba-modified" rifle for at least as much as you paid for it.)

All of my CF rifles have "bought used, on the cheap" 2X-6x scopes from the 1950s-80s.

just my OPINION, satx

Of course, I want a "preowned" scope to perform and look like new: not all beat up, no fogged lenses, no failure to hold a zero. I would certainly want an excellent preowned Husky rifle to make a home for that scope. A sharp-looking shiny-black Weaver might work well and look good too on a classic Swedish hunting rifle. I consider Leupold Gold Ring, the gold standard, the Cadillac of scopes.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    To All,

just my OPINION, satx
    I want to know where the garage sales are with firearms and firearm accessories offered for sale. Have never seen one. :(

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I want to know where the garage sales are with firearms and firearm accessories offered for sale. Have never seen one. :(
    They typically do not advertise. It will happen when you see one item in a box of miscellaneous stuff ( a reloading die, scope rings, etc) and you ask if there is any other stuff like that and sometimes you hit a gold mine.
    But you do have to scour garage sales. I used to do it when I worked offshore on my time home. Might have 1 in 30 have gun stuff after asking.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

oldag,

FYI, I've been a garage/estate sale "prowler" for over 40 years & have found deals from Ft Drum NY to Brownsville, TX.

It just takes getting out of bed by 0530 & hitting the sales just as the sales open and/or ASKING if the people have firearms & ammo/quality knives/vintage fishing gear/antique outboard motors for sale.
    (I collect all of those.)

Also, it's called KEEPING YOUR EYES OPEN at the sales to make $$$$$$$$. = I bought FOUR "old school" accordions at one garage sale for 125 bucks about 4 years ago in 78750 & sold each one for over 150.oo on craigslist w/i 5 days.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    They typically do not advertise. It will happen when you see one item in a box of miscellaneous stuff ( a reloading die, scope rings, etc) and you ask if there is any other stuff like that and sometimes you hit a gold mine.
    But you do have to scour garage sales. I used to do it when I worked offshore on my time home. Might have 1 in 30 have gun stuff after asking.

Hoji,

SPOT ON.
    (When I worked 3 twelve-sixteen hour days on & got 4 days off, I had LOTS of time to "prowl the sales".)

ADDENDA: One of my recent garage sale TREASURES is a 1955 JOHNSON 18HP outboard with FACTORY electric start, that has FEW total hours & NOT a scratch in the paint.

It was offered to me for 50.oo cash (Nearly broke my arm paying him for it!!) & I turned down 1000.oo from a "well to do" AOMCI member, who KNEW just how rare that it is.
    (The person who buys it next can try to get my daughter to sell it to them at MY estate sale.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom