• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My Uncle use to hit the garage and estate sells. Never found a smoking deal on a firearm or accessory , but he would buy broken craftsman tool and Buck knives with a broken blade. He would send in the knives and take the tools to Sears. Always got a repaired knife back at no charge and Sears would swap out the tools.
    Hurley's Gold

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    They typically do not advertise. It will happen when you see one item in a box of miscellaneous stuff ( a reloading die, scope rings, etc) and you ask if there is any other stuff like that and sometimes you hit a gold mine.
    But you do have to scour garage sales. I used to do it when I worked offshore on my time home. Might have 1 in 30 have gun stuff after asking.

Hoji; All,

My latest garage sale FIND was an UNUSED SKIL saw in the case with 2 3/8HP motor. = 10 bucks.

The widow of the buyer said, "He bought it when he retired from the school about 4 years ago but I don't think that Henry ever even plugged it in." & "IF you want if for ten dollars, it's yours."
    SOLD.

yours, satx

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Then what are you waiting for....

ZX0RCAM,

DITTO.

FYI, in all the years that I've prowled the garage/estate sales, I've gotten "stuck" with a BAD scope that looked FINE at the sale just ONCE from an estate sale in Lufkin.

I gave it to a friend, who was a Deputy Constable in Harris County & "Buck" returned it to the Weaver repair station, that was back then in El Paso. = As far as I know, it is still mounted on his Canadian Centennial .30-30.

yours, satx

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Gloss scopes just don't look good on matte guns and matte scopes just don't look good on shiny blued guns. The majority of hunting long guns these days have matte finishes. American hunters are not as genteel in tastes anymore. They mostly have to look "tacticool" out getting venison for the freezer. It makes me wonder if their game freezers are even painted in camo.

View attachment 258543
    The opposite of your claim is true.

Far less people are willing to spend the money on a gun that has a less durable, more expensive finish.

Looks have gone out of favor for utility, which is why modern rifles are starting to favor the Gewehr 1888/carcano action instead of the Mauser 98 action

A high gloss browning turns butt ugly when that stock finish gets damaged, as does anything that has a worn "fancy" finish

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Far less people are willing to spend the money on a gun that has a less durable, more expensive finish.

Looks have gone out of favor for utility, which is why modern rifles are starting to favor the Gewehr 1888/carcano action instead of the Mauser 98 action

A high gloss browning turns butt ugly when that stock finish gets damaged, as does anything that has a worn "fancy" finish
    Maybe so, but still nothing looks as good as a beautiful wood stock and mirror finish royal blue.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    To All,

Rather than whining/moaning about NO "glossy scopes", start haunting the estate sales, garage sales & thrift stores, as I do, for scopes by Leopold, Redfield, Weaver & even Zeiss. - IF you do that, you'll find what you want at prices from "almost nothing" to 100 bucks or so..

ADDENDA: Don't tell a soul as it's a secret. - LOTS of "cheap BUBBA-ized" surplus rifles are wearing HIGH-QUALITY scopes, that are worth more than the same rifle/scope combination.
    (Buy the scoped rifle, take off the GOOD scope, replace the scope with a "garage sale cheapie" & resell the "Bubba-modified" rifle for at least as much as you paid for it.)

All of my CF rifles have "bought used, on the cheap" 2X-6x scopes from the 1950s-80s.

just my OPINION, satx
    A request to the friendly TGT community for assistance in locating a hard to find item is certainly neither "whining nor moaning". Good advice on hunting for treasure in the garage sales and estate sales.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    A request to the friendly TGT community for assistance in locating a hard to find item is certainly neither "whining nor moaning". Good advice on hunting for treasure in the garage sales and estate sales.
    Given who the OP actually is, any derision directed his way is both appropriate and probably not derisive enough.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    LOL.......this thread.....

I am actually looking for a now shunned glossy scope for the Weatherby Lazermark.....I don't want the matte finish on the highly polished rifle....

Do have one on another rifle that I can cabbage, but would rather not.....

Looking for engraved rings too.....Oh the horror..............

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Yep. I have a bunch of rifles and shotguns in the safe that have glossy blue finishes and walnut stocks - and its a pain in the arse to keep them looking nice. Most were inherited with some surface rust to one degree or another - and those are in need of a good refinish, because they look like shit up close because you can see the discoloration left by the rust, even when it was cleaned with fine steel wool & oil. Cold blue products used to touch up a hot blue finish also kinda look like ass, because you'll never get the same luster or color tones.

Bead blasted stainless steel or cerakote finishes are just far easier to keep looking good. Synthetic stocks are both lighter and more durable than wood. These are qualities that make these guns fore more utilitarian to the average shooter/hunter, especially if you're hunting or shooting in wet climates. The last time I went deer hunting, it rained / fogged most of that time. I was using an old Spanish Mauser that'd been sporterized and had a beautiful blue finish with matching gloss blue scope... damn thing would literally rust while in the field. I oiled & cleaned it daily, I wiped it down with a silicone impregnated cloth, but you couldn't keep it from starting to rust up after a day afield. Especially when brought into the warm truck cab for the ride home. We left the rifles on the back seat, uncased so they wouldn't be trapped in their cases wet.

Its not about being "tacticool" - its about being practical. Wood & gloss blue are gorgeous, but wood swells with moisture, and blue finishes rust easy. A swollen stock isn't great for accuracy, compared to a plastic stock.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of deep lustrous blue and walnut - they're just a bitch to keep looking good vs the "modern" stainless/synthetic stuff. I wouldn't call the newer stuff "tacticool" either - unless the guy is out there with a McMillan stock with adjustable comb on his .375 CheyTac, with camo finish, 20X Nightforce scope, running around in a Ghillie suit to bag a 95lb deer.

I'm not one to go drop $1000 on an all matching camo outfit with the latest in realistic print camo, but I don't think that makes a guy tacticool either, just really into modern hunting apparel. He may or may not bag more deer than a dude walking into the woods in a highway safety vest and blue jeans, since deer are color blind and only see grayscale/blue hues, but if it floats his boat, more power to him.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Yep. I have a bunch of rifles and shotguns in the safe that have glossy blue finishes and walnut stocks - and its a pain in the arse to keep them looking nice. Most were inherited with some surface rust to one degree or another - and those are in need of a good refinish, because they look like shit up close because you can see the discoloration left by the rust, even when it was cleaned with fine steel wool & oil. Cold blue products used to touch up a hot blue finish also kinda look like ass, because you'll never get the same luster or color tones.

Bead blasted stainless steel or cerakote finishes are just far easier to keep looking good. Synthetic stocks are both lighter and more durable than wood. These are qualities that make these guns fore more utilitarian to the average shooter/hunter, especially if you're hunting or shooting in wet climates. The last time I went deer hunting, it rained / fogged most of that time. I was using an old Spanish Mauser that'd been sporterized and had a beautiful blue finish with matching gloss blue scope... damn thing would literally rust while in the field. I oiled & cleaned it daily, I wiped it down with a silicone impregnated cloth, but you couldn't keep it from starting to rust up after a day afield. Especially when brought into the warm truck cab for the ride home. We left the rifles on the back seat, uncased so they wouldn't be trapped in their cases wet.

Its not about being "tacticool" - its about being practical. Wood & gloss blue are gorgeous, but wood swells with moisture, and blue finishes rust easy. A swollen stock isn't great for accuracy, compared to a plastic stock.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of deep lustrous blue and walnut - they're just a bitch to keep looking good vs the "modern" stainless/synthetic stuff. I wouldn't call the newer stuff "tacticool" either - unless the guy is out there with a McMillan stock with adjustable comb on his .375 CheyTac, with camo finish, 20X Nightforce scope, running around in a Ghillie suit to bag a 95lb deer.

I'm not one to go drop $1000 on an all matching camo outfit with the latest in realistic print camo, but I don't think that makes a guy tacticool either, just really into modern hunting apparel. He may or may not bag more deer than a dude walking into the woods in a highway safety vest and blue jeans, since deer are color blind and only see grayscale/blue hues, but if it floats his boat, more power to him.

Sasquatch,

You didn't ask my advice on avoiding rust when it's rainy/damp with blued firearms but nonetheless, a coat of GOOD QUALITY car wax rubbed into the blued areas WORKS.
    (I used to be a resident of & LEO on the TX Gulf Coast, where you can sit & watch your blue handgun quietly rust "while you wait". = The constantly damp air has SALT in it. And YES, even "stainless steel" and/or "aluminum alloy" CORRODES in that "hostile to metal" environment.)

The BEST "protective" against the salt that we LEOs ever found was CARNUBA WAX, combined with regular cleaning & re-waxing.

yours, satx

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Sasquatch,

You didn't ask my advice on avoiding rust when it's rainy/damp with blued firearms but nonetheless, a coat of GOOD QUALITY car wax rubbed into the blued areas WORKS.
    (I used to be a resident of & LEO on the TX Gulf Coast, where you can sit & watch your blue handgun quietly rust "while you wait". = The constantly damp air has SALT in it. And YES, even "stainless steel" and/or "aluminum alloy" CORRODES in that "hostile to metal" environment.)

The BEST "protective" against the salt that we LEOs ever found was CARNUBA WAX, combined with regular cleaning & re-waxing.

yours, satx

That's a good tip, SATX. I'll remember that one next time I'm at the store.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    since deer are color blind and only see grayscale/blue hues, but if it floats his boat, more power to him.
    I am not sure I believe that at all. Several times hunting in Pennsylvania while walking across snow in that suckass 250” of blaze orange I have seen deer over 800 yards away. Stop. Put binos on them only to see the shitheads all looking directly at me. Take one step, nothing but deer ass with tails straight up. Couple of seconds later the danger “bark” makes its way across the field.

Color blind my ass.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I am not sure I believe that at all. Several times hunting in Pennsylvania while walking across snow in that suckass 250” of blaze orange I have seen deer over 800 yards away. Stop. Put binos on them only to see the shitheads all looking directly at me. Take one step, nothing but deer ass with tails straight up. Couple of seconds later the danger “bark” makes its way across the field.

Color blind my ass.

I don't know if there's been further study into deer's vision - I wonder if they can see part of the UV spectrum? Lot of laundry soap has UV dye for whatever reason, as does a lot of clothing dye. Could've been that he was seeing your clothing shine from the UV dye?

Every study I've seen on deer vision says they can see blues and gray. Of course I've ever seen thru deer eyes, and they say dogs are also color blind yet my dogs have favorite toys that they pick out identical to the others that are only different in color, so maybe its all bullshit that makes someone feel better? I dunno.

250 inches of blaze orange - that's a damn lot of orange. Someone average height or smaller would essentially be head to toe orange :laughing: And what about midgets who hunt, do they have to run a flag pole up their back with a big orange flag? :roflsmile:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My hunting clothes do not get washed with any detergent, soap, etc. just water.

I know what the science says, I also know what being in the field and killing thousands of deer personal observations say.
    I know they see blue. Under armor had some badass cold gear a few years ago in almost perfect woodland camo pattern.
    Kept getting busted by deer. Took a closer look at the top and lo and behold, bright blue stitching. Now it only gets worn while drinking beer around campfire.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My hunting clothes do not get washed with any detergent, soap, etc. just water.

I know what the science says, I also know what being in the field and killing thousands of deer personal observations say.
    I know they see blue. Under armor had some badass cold gear a few years ago in almost perfect woodland camo pattern.
    Kept getting busted by deer. Took a closer look at the top and lo and behold, bright blue stitching. Now it only gets worn while drinking beer around campfire.

I wonder what a Hawaiian shirt would do afield....

Top Bottom