Join TexasGunTalk

i miss westerns like tom horn what happen to them all?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by saiga308, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 Well-Known

Dec 15, 2019
    none.......
    I consider him one of the best in the western genre, and one of my favorites.

Many of his books have been made into movies.

satx78247 likes this.
  2. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet, but the closest you're going to get to a Western in this day and age is 2 fairies running a bed and breakfast and one of the two has a Sam Elliott deep voice, but ruins it by discussing how much he likes to crochet right after he serves breakfast...

satx78247 likes this.
  3. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    6 pages in and no mention of The Outlaw Josey Whales....

4. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

Agreed.

5. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    Louie cranked out his books in one or two days..

How do I know this?

Because he said so.

satx78247 and Axxe55 like this.
  6. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    baboon,

My mother taught Audie Murphy in grade school & his sisters in Home Ec too.
    (MAJ Murphy was a member of our 3-144th INF, TXARNG before & after WWII.= When the 3-144th was planning the 1st AUDIE MURPHY DAY in Greenville, I talked to him often by phone. I last talked to him by phone 2 days before the plane crash BUT sadly never met him in person.)

One of Mother's TREASURES was a Christmas Letter that he wrote to her from a hospital in USAREUR, after he got shot. = She kept it in her Bible as long as she lived..

Fwiw, I liked his TV show, WHISPERING SMITH & have all the episodes on DVD.

yours, satx

Pops1955 and Axxe55 like this.
  7. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Cool story. I read Audie was pretty much a drunkard, my guess dealing with PTDS & always carried a pistol. I think he would have been a great consultant on all the WWII movies. If he had we wouldn't be picking movies apart about guns in the wrong hands of troops.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  8. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    baboon,

I never talked to MAJ Murphy when he "sounded" drunk, so perhaps he was NOT a "drunkard".
    (Inasmuch as he flew his own plane very often, I tend to disbelieve the "stories" that everyone "heard" about his "heavy drinking".)

Also, as I wear a concealed 9mm pistol on my belt every day, does that mean that I have PTSD?
    (He was known to routinely carry a WWI-era Luger handgun, that he brought home from the war but as far as I know he never shot anyone with it OR even "drew down on" anyone.)

I wonder how many of MAJ Murphy's reported "problems" were HOLLY-WEIRD hype and/or common gossip??

yours, satx

oldag likes this.
  9. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Doctor had him strung out on Placidyl which is some pretty heavy shit, of which Audie kicked on his own. Placidyl was eventually yanked from the market place. More then a few famous people have been strung out on it.

10. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    baboon,

Inasmuch as Placidyl was OFTEN prescribed by physicians & some of its KNOWN side effects are SIMILAR to the effects of alcohol, PERHAPS that's where the "stories" of MAJ Murphy being a "drunkard" came from??

It is KNOWN that he suffered from insomnia for several years after WWII & it is also well-known that doctors at that time passed out the drug like "candy" to anyone who complained of not being able to sleep.
    (Doctors in the 1950s & 1960s often PASSED OUT powerful drugs, like BROAD SPECTRUM antibiotics, hypnotics & powerful sedatives, whose "side effects" were poorly understood at that time.)

ADDENDA: Even in the early 1980s, SOME of the prescription meds that my late wife was prescribed by her oncologist BUT "not warned about the effects of" scares me to death, in retrospect. = One of those meds was a VERY POWERFUL hypnotic, which was known to cause "periods of unconsciousness" but Vickie's doctor never told her to NOT drive her car when taking the pills.
    (Fwiw, I found out what the "little green pills" were about 6 months after Vickie's death from acute leukemia.)

yours, satx

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020