i miss westerns like tom horn what happen to them all?

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
TGT Supporter
Feb 11, 2019
Hays County
Personal favorites by actor: in no particular order:
Rooster Cogburn - John Wayne
The Outlaw Josey Wales - Clint Eastwood
Quigley Down Under - Tom Selleck

Good westerns I haven't seen posted by others yet:
High Plains Drifter
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Legends of the Fall (set in the early 1900's but close enough...and holy f%$k I hate that brother jumping crazy bitch)
Dances with Wolves
Young Guns 1 & 2
The Man from Snowy River (no guns but still pretty good)
Back To The Future: Part III (kind of)

Maverick44

Certified All-American Gun Nut
At its core, The Mandalorian is simply a Western set in the Star Wars Universe. Even the music.

So I think in some cases the essential themes of a Western are still around, they have just been recast and reborn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I can't disagree with you. What's odd is, it's also more like classic Star Wars than the sequel films could ever have hoped to be.

Maverick44

Certified All-American Gun Nut
Dances with Wolves was really good. I enjoyed the Shootist too. The Tombstone with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer was really good too. Quigly Down Under REALLY made me want that Sharps.

I watch a lot of Gunsmoke, and Maverick too whenever I see it on (I bet you would never have guessed that one).

baboon

TGT Addict
May 6, 2008
In a dumpy house on an expensive lot
Dances with Wolves was really good. I enjoyed the Shootist too. The Tombstone with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer was really good too. Quigly Down Under REALLY made me want that Sharps.

I watch a lot of Gunsmoke, and Maverick too whenever I see it on (I bet you would never have guessed that one).
The Shootist is the best work John Wayne ever did.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
Lifetime Member
Oct 4, 2013
Gunz are icky.
The Searchers
She wore a yellow ribbon
Ride the high country
The Big Country
The Sacketts
Rancho Deluxe
Will Penny

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
We see lots of actors playing tough guy Navy Seals and other tough guy roles, most of them have never served and I can't speak about their sexuality. Audie was the real thing. A true war hero, not a great actor, but I liked every role he was in because you could only respect him for how great he really was.
A number of the old actors served in WW2, a number of them seeing combat.

Jimmy Stewart flew a good number of combat missions in bombers, for instance.

Kirk Douglas. Jason Robards. Paul Newman. Steve McQueen. Henry Fonda. Charles Bronson. James Arness. Ernest Borgnine

Hollywood was different in those days.

General Zod

TGT Addict
Sep 29, 2012
Kaufman County
A number of the old actors served in WW2, a number of them seeing combat.

Jimmy Stewart flew a good number of combat missions in bombers, for instance.
Jimmy Stewart was a B-17 instructor pilot stateside, then became a B-24 bomber pilot and commander of the 703rd Bomb Squadron when it shipped out to England during WWII. He was later promoted to Major and took command of the entire 445th Bomb Group. He flew at least 20 combat missions with his squadron, including one where his bomber took a direct hit forward of the bomb bays, but the flak shell didn't explode. On landing, the aircraft broke apart at the impact point, but the entire crew got out safely. Surveying the scene, Maj. Stewart remarked to an NCO "Sergeant, somebody sure could get hurt in one of those damned things...". He later became operations officer of the larger 453rd Bomb Group and continued to fly combat missions, this time in B-17s.

He remained in the Air Force Reserves after the war and retired in 1968 as a Brigadier General, with experience flying B-47s and B-52s. His final combat sortie was over North Vietnam as an observer in a B-52.

Top Bottom