• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    hello all, went to the range last night with my new RIA 1911A1. I really like it. shoots great and the trigger is not half bad. but when i put the target our past 10 yards it was hard to see the sights.. very small. what is a cheap upgrade for this pistol? can i do something like this myself? good smith to go too?

did i mention cheap.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Google King's gun parts, they have some three dot sites that fit in place of the old GI type sites. The front one has to be re-staked and the rear just drifts in.

DRJ

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    i have been needing to change my sights on my para, but i don't want to have the slide cut for novak's or bomar style sights, but i do want the adjustability of "target" sights

If you want windage and elevation adjustability, then why not just get the target sights that use the "stock" dovetail?

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I agree with Sig Fiend. Target sights are great if you are going to do some bullseye shooting. But, if you are going to fight with that pistol, the distances are going to be typically very close. Train and learn to point shoot at close range.Close being 3ft out to about 75 ft. Beyond that you should be looking for a way to get away from the threat. I have made hunting shots with a handgun out to 125 yards, 44 mag scoped but I know my limits and the cartridge limits. Practice {dry fire safely} enough to be able to draw and have it point like your finger.

Good luck, Be safe

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ATM, give Briley a call.

1230 Lumpkin Road
    Houston, TX 77043
    (713) 932-6995

They do a lot of high-end 1911 work (I had them build a custom Officer's ACP for me), but they may have an inexpensive option for you. They have always been really nice to deal with. They are located just north of I-10 West, just inside the beltway.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Personally, I would recommend something like Heinie or Novak sights. There are many other brands out there, but those are just two good ones that come to mind:

Heinie Specialty Products
    Novak Sights

The only thing I'm not entirely sure about is whether any of these are made that will be a direct replacement for your stock GI type rear sight (I'm assuming that's what you have) and whether or not your front is dovetailed. If the front is dovetailed, then that's easy enough as most aftermarket front sights for the 1911 should work, maybe with minor fitting needed. As far as the rear goes, with enough machine work anything can be made to fit by the right gunsmith. Hopefully someone more 1911 savvy can chime in about the rear sight issue and whether or not machining will be necessary.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    My Para P12.45 slide is at the gunsmith getting cut for a set of Novak 3-dot Night Sights. Cost is gonna be $115. Worth every penny in my opinion. I really like the sight picture the Novak 3-dots provide on my 1911's. YMMV.

mrod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Houston
    I have a Sig GSR 1911 and I am having problems getting the barrell bushing to turn so I can get the recoil spring plug out...Any and all suggestions please. This is the first non-Kimber 1911 that I have ever owned. Thanks

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have a Sig GSR 1911 and I am having problems getting the barrell bushing to turn so I can get the recoil spring plug out...Any and all suggestions please. This is the first non-Kimber 1911 that I have ever owned. Thanks

This thread is about sights, you might want to start a new thread relative to your question.

Top Bottom