I need a new Car . looking at Jetta's

miniion26

Aug 27, 2020
Highlands
By definition that Made in USA Toyota is still an imported brand. The country that benefits most from their profits is still Japan.

By your definition, Apple would be a Chinese company.
Posting this again:
" The official definition of a "Made in the USA" label as set forth by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requires that a product advertised as "Made in the USA" be entirely or virtually entirely made in the United States"
Note that is not "my definition"...it's FTC's.
Profit has nothing to do with it. Toyota North America is a subsidiary, no one knows how much money they fork over to Japan. It's irrelevant anyways, in regards to being a domestic product.
BTW, Apple isn't made in China, per se. Its components are being made in a number of countries, US included. The gyroscope it's made in Italy, for example. It's the final assembly that takes place in China.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
How one feels shouldn’t matter. If the dollar spent on it goes to a foreign owned business it’s not the same as an America auto maker, or am I mistaken?
I think you also have to take into account the wages paid to American workers that assemble those cars. Also Toyota moved their headquarters to Plano, TX. I agree they make a much better car than VW.

By definition that Made in USA Toyota is still an imported brand. The country that benefits most from their profits is still Japan.

I ordered a Ipad and have been getting shipping updates. Shipped from China, dropped in Korea, still there, but allegedly I will get it Monday.

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
Nov 25, 2016
SE Tx
My sons girlfriend had one. They stood on the side of the road and watched it burn up.
I'm old n cranky n generally unlikable so help me out here. Am I supposed to tremble in sheer horror at the thought or . . .

is it OK to admit that I L'MAO? :green: :laughing:

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
I think you also have to take into account the wages paid to American workers that assemble those cars. Also Toyota moved their headquarters to Plano, TX. I agree they make a much better car than VW.

I ordered a Ipad and have been getting shipping updates. Shipped from China, dropped in Korea, still there, but allegedly I will get it Monday.

deemus,

FWIW, if "foreign-made parts" & "assembled in another country" makes a "foreign car", my TREASURED 1992 LINCOLN TOWN CAR is "a foreign car", as it was assembled in CANADA of USA, Canadian, French & Mexican parts.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Just me and the dog.
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
A lot of foreign car manufacturers built assembly plants in the United States for a few reasons.

One, it allowed to bypass import tariffs from bringing them into the US from other countries.

Second, also had to do with meeting US EPA smog standards that other countries didn't have.

Third, imports have to be many times modified to meet US FMVSS. (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.)

It was just more cost effective to build the vehicles here and build them to meet the standards of the United States, and to get past import tariffs. It allowed the "foreign" vehicles to compete in the North American market more competitively.

candcallen

Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.
Jul 23, 2011
Little Elm
A lot of foreign car manufacturers built assembly plants in the United States for a few reasons.

One, it allowed to bypass import tariffs from bringing them into the US from other countries.

Second, also had to do with meeting US EPA smog standards that other countries didn't have.

Third, imports have to be many times modified to meet US FMVSS. (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.)

It was just more cost effective to build the vehicles here and build them to meet the standards of the United States, and to get past import tariffs. It allowed the "foreign" vehicles to compete in the North American market more competitively.
Being the arguement thread someone will be along shortly to correct your naivety.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member