• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    LOL I love that defense. "Finely engineered" ... but needs to be in the shop all the time so it'll stay working... :)

Just imagine the howling if our guns were like German cars. Just imagine if they required multiple trips to the gunsmith just to keep them in reliable shooting condition. Do we not expect the exact opposite from our firearms? A little bit of oil every now and then to keep rust at bay, the slide/bolt moving freely and I can trust my life to it?

Anything worth having is worth maintaining. Lazy people deserve cheap shit.

Would you treat a $300K McLaren 720s the same you would a $17K Toyota Yaris?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have never heard of a VW service department that is open on Saturdays. You have to schedule everything. Even oil changes.

Again, more fables. Every VW dealership I've been to has been open on Saturdays.

As for scheduling services, what dealerships doesn't do that?!? It's the crappy ones who don't have customers!

Go to Jiffy Lube if you want drive up service, but don't complain when the minimum wage mechanic messes up your oil change (which has happened to me in the past, which is why I avoid such places).

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

My father taught us a valuable lesson when we growing up. Buy a quality made item, and use it as it was intended, and take care of it, and it will serve you for many years.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I ended up buying a Kia Forte. It has a 10year 100K mile power train and a 5 year 60K mile warranty on everything else. My plan is to keep it for about 5 years then trade it after the Kids get out of the house. I liked the way it drove. It was comfortable and had the features I wanted. Is it the highest quality vehicle on the road ? no, but it will suit me for it's intended us.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

Honestly? Sure. I drive my cars, drive 'em hard, and I maintain 'em as needed. I'm too cheap to drop 300k on a car, hell I'm too cheap to drop 100k. Yet somehow I'm going to drop probably 70k on the kitchen remodel the wife wants, but I digress. I will say I'm never going to be one of those people who keeps a pristine garage ornament, regardless of its cost. I would also expect a $300k car to be at least in the same ballpark as a $17k car when considering reliability. For more common cars, I thoroughly EXPECT a "premium" brand like Audi, BMW, Benz, etc. to have a HIGHER quality and reliability than my 45k Dodge.

Here's a pretty fun project. Go check out and compare the maintenance and inspection schedules for a 720s and an Audi A7.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I ended up buying a Kia Forte. It has a 10year 100K mile power train and a 5 year 60K mile warranty on everything else. My plan is to keep it for about 5 years then trade it after the Kids get out of the house. I liked the way it drove. It was comfortable and had the features I wanted. Is it the highest quality vehicle on the road ? no, but it will suit me for it's intended us.
    Congrats. I looked at Kia when I was looking for a sedan, specifically the Stinger. A lot of people really seem to be happy with their newer cars.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Honestly? Sure. I drive my cars, drive 'em hard, and I maintain 'em as needed. I'm too cheap to drop 300k on a car, hell I'm too cheap to drop 100k. Yet somehow I'm going to drop probably 70k on the kitchen remodel the wife wants, but I digress. I will say I'm never going to be one of those people who keeps a pristine garage ornament, regardless of its cost. I would also expect a $300k car to be at least in the same ballpark as a $17k car when considering reliability. For more common cars, I thoroughly EXPECT a "premium" brand like Audi, BMW, Benz, etc. to have a HIGHER quality and reliability than my 45k Dodge.

Here's a pretty fun project. Go check out and compare the maintenance and inspection schedules for a 720s and an Audi A7.

Brains,

You may want to CHECK out an early 2000s model of the MERCEDES CDI, as it is CHEAP TO DRIVE, LONG-LIVED & a REALLY NICE/LOW MILEAGE one is about 7-10,000 USD to buy.
    (The 2005 year model SEEMS to be the BEST of the CDI.)

The CDI is QUICK, QUIET-running & gets well over 30MPGin combined city/rural driving.

yours, satx

Curtis@1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas

I'm pretty sure the conversation was concerning the VWs. No one said anything about a $300,000 car. You're just being ridiculous. And actually, I starting to think that you're just a troublemaking troll.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Congrats. I looked at Kia when I was looking for a sedan, specifically the Stinger. A lot of people really seem to be happy with their newer cars.
    Did you drive one? If so, how was it? Iirc that was designed by audi/ BMW people that kia hired. I would have given it a look if I hadn't already bought an audi.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Did you drive one? If so, how was it? Iirc that was designed by audi/ BMW people that kia hired. I would have given it a look if I hadn't already bought an audi.

innominate,

On that subject, ALL that I know is that during the 2020 Census one of the field recruiters rented a KIA for a few days (while his wrecked car was being repaired) & it seemed to be "a nice car".

yours, satx

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I actually didn't get past researching online. Dodge started giving away Chargers, and I had owned an '07 SRT8 before so I knew exactly what I was getting into. So I just went and got one of those.

The biggest complaint I found reported with the Stinger was the hatch would rattle. That would drive me NUTS (my cars have to be rattle and squeak free) but I'm pretty good at tracking noises down and eliminating them.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    The biggest complaint I found reported with the Stinger was the hatch would rattle. That would drive me NUTS (my cars have to be rattle and squeak free) but I'm pretty good at tracking noises down and eliminating them.
    I think Nancy Pelosi has a rattle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom