• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The last car I had was a fusion it was OK . Had a mustong as a rental did not really care for it although it was fast . I might look at the Hyundia a bit deeper

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I need to purchase vehicle . I want a sedan. I have been looking at the VW Jetta any feedback from recent owners or folks who might have worked on them. I test drove a malibu to compare and the road noise was not very good in it. The jetta I test drove was a lot quieter. Or do you have any other recommendations in that class.
    Thanks
    We just bought my son a 2019 Jetta. I've been driving it a little and so far it's been really good. The handling is pretty good, it's kind of small for me but I'm 6'3". The gas mileage is excellent, one of the main reasons I use his to zip around town. Road noise isn't the best, but then it's not bad.......but I drive an FJ with 35's that hum to it's own song.

Oh yeah, the trunk is pretty big, I was surprised about that. Also, the 1.4 l turbo moves pretty quick, not fast but enough to pass with ease but still keeps gas mileage in a good spot.

So far nothing bad to say about it.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (diesel) and absolutely love it. It's a little rocket. Mine still has a warranty due to dieselgate and has been dead nuts reliable. I personally am not a fan of newer VW's as I think they aren't fun to drive and you get more value from some other brands.

Concur, in October I picked up a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and love it! Yes, thanks to Dieselgate it doesn't get the mileage it should (thanks EPA!), but I am still averaging over 35 MPG with a very heavy foot! The thing is a rocket, and I've even had V8s have problems getting away from me. I liked this year as it has the nice features on it but none of the nanny shit newer cars have. My wife's CX-5 is constantly beeping or telling me I am getting too close to the edge of the road. I don't need that crap!

My JSW is warrantied through 2024 or 120K miles (it has 51K on it now). Once that's up I will consider replacing the useless regen equipment and tune it to get it back to the power and economy it originally had. Diesels make up probably 80-90% of the vehicles on the road in Europe, and they don't have the same refinement requirements yet their air is much cleaner and sweeter than here. And wagons make up 20% of German vehicle sales every year. Unlike Americans, who like cars like themselves (large, slow, soft and can't handle), Germans still appreciate a driver's machine!

By the way, I came off 13 years with a 2008 Toyota hatchback. It was a great little car, decent gas mileage but underpowered. It was showing its age badly, it really was tin can material and the paint didn't do well under the south Texas sun. The Jetta is a much better car, and although I know maintenance will cost more (I owned a 1996 VW Passat wagon with the VR6 previously), I do feel it's worth it.

Lastly, I would take anyone who hasn't owned one or who shares secondhand stories about Jettas with a grain of salt. VW sells these as fast as they can make them. Just note that every generation seems to be getting larger than its predecessor. I recently sat in a 2021 model (A7) and it's bigger than mine. I don't necessarily like that, but it was still a nice car!

p.s. Just to note, the Jetta Sportwagen is technically a Golf. Jettas sold better in this country, but in every other country in the world it's known as a Golf Sportwagen. VW also stopped importing diesels into the US after the Dieselgate fiasco. It also stopped importing wagons in 2019 (I tried to find a new one to no avail). One of the things I like most about my JSW is the fact that unlike F-150s and CX-5s, you don't see them everywhere...

2013 VW SportWagen TDI (1).jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    presently own a Hyundai and considering all three I like the Hyundai the best but it has so many of the new features that are cool and a long warranty. Wife likes the Hyundai the best and it is her car. I drive a F250.

Have some family with the Hyundai. They like them fir the most part. Only complaint I’ve heard is on power in the SUV. So if you get of those, get the biggest motor.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    How many 20 year old Kia or huyandia cars do you see on the road? It’s because they fell apart apart already. Seen any of those day-woos lately?
    I have a 24 year old F150 but I normally don't keep a car 20 years. How many cars last 20 years without falling apart? My argument against VW was their underhanded way of having secret recalls and screwing the customers. I found out after I sold mine. I just don't consider them to be a reputable company and I think dieselgate proves that. I have been screwed by 2 car companies, VW and GM. They never get 2 chances to screw me again.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    My car is 20 years old. It’s a Toyota. My last car was the same age and it was a bmw 3 series. My car before that was 20 years old and it was a VW JETTA VR6 GLI (don’t get the VR6 and only get the 1.8T or TDI). My (car) before that was a 20 year old sportster.

Quality is quality and chasing features will end up costing you a lot more money and it won’t make you happy. Plus, I only want a 5 or 6 speed. Autos are boring. My argument on “do you see 20 year old” is that if the car literally doesn’t exist past 20 years, what’s it gonna be like in 10-15? Resale?

My 20 year old cars are value. I own what I want and sell it for more thanI paid. My last car I bought was a 2006 Impreza. I’ll sell it for more than I paid.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My car is 20 years old. It’s a Toyota. My last car was the same age and it was a bmw 3 series. My car before that was 20 years old and it was a VW JETTA VR6 GLI (don’t get the VR6 and only get the 1.8T or TDI). My (car) before that was a 20 year old sportster.

Quality is quality and chasing features will end up costing you a lot more money and it won’t make you happy. Plus, I only want a 5 or 6 speed. Autos are boring. My argument on “do you see 20 year old” is that if the car literally doesn’t exist past 20 years, what’s it gonna be like in 10-15? Resale?

My 20 year old cars are value. I own what I want and sell it for more thanI paid. My last car I bought was a 2006 Impreza. I’ll sell it for more than I paid.
    You're needed in the argumentative thread. STAT!

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    R-line doesnt really add much for the cost in my opinion. You may find different. For the price I prefer the kia k5 or hyundai sonata. Or even a used lexus (comfort and quiet galore). For whoever said kia and hyundai sucks, you really need to take another look. Honda and toyota have been caught sleeping and the korean brands are absolutely destroying them in evey category.

Ride Quality and Road Noise I am specifically looking at the R-line I am short so not to worried about roominess. and reliability

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    As someone who has worked on cars professionally for 25 years I can tell you they all have their issues. Every manufacturer tries to make them cheaper and cheaper. Lots of plastic substituted where there was once aluminum or steel.

I avoid VW because they age terribly and repair costs are generally high. Toyota, Honda and Subaru are tops in longevity and value but they're not everyone's cup of tea. If you're keeping it less than a decade you'll be fine.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I need to purchase vehicle . I want a sedan. I have been looking at the VW Jetta any feedback from recent owners or folks who might have worked on them. I test drove a malibu to compare and the road noise was not very good in it. The jetta I test drove was a lot quieter. Or do you have any other recommendations in that class.
    Thanks

mroper,

IMO, you would be MUCH BETTER OFF to buy an old-school MERCEDES 123 or 124 DIESEL, as you will get tired of looking at it LONG before it quits on you & needs a lot of repairs.
    (I drove a 123, from 1983 4-door MB sedan for over 500,000 miles with only tires, batteries, oil changes, etc. needed. - As I was stationed at FT DRUM, NY at the time, the salt finally rotted the underside out.)

FYI, my personal FAVORITE is the 1984 or 1985 MB 123 turbo-diesel station wagon.

NOTE: The 1983-87 MB turbo-diesels are the TOUGHEST ones & the EASIEST to do your own routine maintenance upon.
    EXPECT to spend about 5,000.oo on a GOOD, rust-free one with under 200K.

yours, satx

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    How many 20 year old Kia or huyandia cars do you see on the road? It’s because they fell apart apart already. Seen any of those day-woos lately?
    The 20 year old models are likely recycled by now, they were terrible. The newer models, since they restructured and hired in a bunch of talent, are right up there with the rest of the pack in quality. The new Kia/Hyundai is not like the old. They come with a 10 year warranty and they are still in business, so there's that.

Top Bottom