• ...and so much more!
  • tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Back in the day metric wrenches were for Japanese and Euro vehicles. Standard wrenches were for US made. If you were demented or a sorcerer you had Whitworth wrenches for British cars & motorcycles.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Back in the day metric wrenches were for Japanese and Euro vehicles. Standard wrenches were for US made. If you were demented or a sorcerer you had Whitworth wrenches for British cars & motorcycles.

I remember the transition in the late 1970's and early 1980's when American made cars had both metric and standard fastners. I hated that. I bought my first sets of metric sockets and wrenches in the early 1980's so I could work on my motorcycles.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I always put my money where my mouth is. If you get a Kia or huyandaia (spelling be damned) and it runs after 20 years with functional windows, doors and electrical features you can pm me for ammo. Drive it to the coast for pick up for ammo. So I can verify the doors still open and it moved after 17 years.

also I’ll show you my 20+ year old cars and trucks are still a better investment and I’ll meet you at the argument forum to show you why you’re an idiot

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    I owned a 2014 4 door Passat diesel. It had lots of room inside, for back seaters too. It got great gas mileage on the freeway (50 mpg @ 80 mph). Actually was a nice car. They were just cheaters.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I talked to a guy yesterday that I worked with during CENSUS 2020 & his 1987 Mercedes 124 diesel now has well over 800,000 miles, with NO work beyond tires, brake pads, batteries, belts, filters & fluid changes.
    (As I said earlier, you will get tired of looking at it before you wear-out a 123 or 124 MB.).

Personally, I do NOT recommend buying ANY Mercedes made after 1990, IF you want to do your own routine maintenance.
    (You have to be an actual MECHANIC to work on the "modern" MB cars. = "Shade tree wrench-twisters" like me need NOT apply.)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't think you can beat a Toyota.

A Toyota taken care of will go for many years and lots of miles.

But, in all honesty, that could apply to many different brands and models a well. My father has a 1996 Chevrolet C1500 he bought used in 1997 with a little over 15K miles on it. He has taken great care of the truck an it has over 600K miles on it currently. Transmission was replaced at over 500K miles several years ago!

As a mechanic with over forty years in the industry, I have seen great vehicles, and I have seen crappy vehicles from the factory. I have seen vehicles that were babied that never broke 100K miles, and I have seen vehicles beat like a rented mule that went on forever and forever. I have seen just about everything in between and seen lots of weird things as well. I also believe in vehicles that are a lemon from the day they were driven off the dealer's lot as well.

miniion26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2020
    Highlands
    Personally, I do NOT recommend buying ANY Mercedes made after 1990, IF you want to do your own routine maintenance.
    (You have to be an actual MECHANIC to work on the "modern" MB cars. = "Shade tree wrench-twisters" like me need NOT apply.)

yours, satx
    Too late. I bought a 2005 E320 CDI 5 years ago. Just broke 222000 miles with minor repairs(consumables, mostly)
    I do my own maintenance. Not complicated at all.

Curtis@1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    My wife and I used to love Volkswagen. Between the two of us, we have owned 2 1997 Jettas, a 2008 Jetta, a 1999 Passat, and a 2001 Gti 2.8 vr6 (this one was mine). Volkswagen has gotten so uppity that it felt like we were driving Volkswagens, but paying to have Mercedes Benzs serviced. By the way, you CANNOT go without servicing a European car. That is just asking for trouble.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    By the way, you CANNOT go without servicing a European car. That is just asking for trouble.
    That's what keeps me from ever seriously considering them. In this day and age if a car needs to be worked on that often, it's a piece of crap. Barring special use cases (taxis, police, racing, etc.) there really is no excuse for a top tier manufacturer's vehicle to require anything but basic maintenance (oil, gas, filters, and tires) during the first 100k.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Do you guys not maintain your firearms either? Maintenance is how to keep anything and everything running. Go ask your wife!

I had a Toyota for 12 years, and they aren't maintenance-free either! I had a VW before that, and got a VW after it. There is a lot to be said for finely engineered cars, especially German ones! There's a world of difference, but yes there is a price to pay to play.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Do you guys not maintain your firearms either? Maintenance is how to keep anything and everything running. Go ask your wife!

I had a Toyota for 12 years, and they aren't maintenance-free either! I had a VW before that, and got a VW after it. There is a lot to be said for finely engineered cars, especially German ones! There's a world of difference, but yes there is a price to pay to play.
    LOL I love that defense. "Finely engineered" ... but needs to be in the shop all the time so it'll stay working... :)

Just imagine the howling if our guns were like German cars. Just imagine if they required multiple trips to the gunsmith just to keep them in reliable shooting condition. Do we not expect the exact opposite from our firearms? A little bit of oil every now and then to keep rust at bay, the slide/bolt moving freely and I can trust my life to it?

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    LOL I love that defense. "Finely engineered" ... but needs to be in the shop all the time so it'll stay working... :)

Just imagine the howling if our guns were like German cars. Just imagine if they required multiple trips to the gunsmith just to keep them in reliable shooting condition. Do we not expect the exact opposite from our firearms? A little bit of oil every now and then to keep rust at bay, the slide/bolt moving freely and I can trust my life to it?
    I get your point but I will add this. I had a 98 m3 convertible for a while. It was my extra car that I drove when the weather was nice. I started travel nursing and the miles started raking up. I thought it wasn't right to use her as a commuter/ cross country car so I decided to trade her. Never had to do anything but change the oil etc on her. The top mechanism did have to be realigned once. Iirc she had around 75k on her when I traded for a used mustang convertible. I still wanted a convertible and I figured a v8 manual mustang would be reliable. They actually wrote me a check to take the mustang because the m3 was worth more. When you closed the door on the m3 it felt like closing a safe door. The mustang felt like closing a file cabinet drawer. The almost 2 years I had the mustang the top leaked and water collected in the boot that housed the top when it would rain. The front right brake caliper seized. The transmission blew up when I was driving on the hwy from Birmingham to Atlanta to catch a flight. Finally, one day, I heard a low roar from the rear. I assumed it was a bearing. The next day I traded the mustang in for an Accord couple that was trouble free till I trade it in for a tundra 7 years later.

What’s the resale value versus price paid new of a used 5-6 year old VW anything? That’s a huge consideration in my book.
    I had 2013 gti for a few years. The resale value was not the best. The only problem I had was traction, even with grippy summer tires ;). The best hwy mpg I got was ~30. My audi a4 on the other hand, with awd, tuned with more hp than the gti and heavier weight gets ~35+mpg cruising at 80+.

Curtis@1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas

That price shouldn't be exorbitant. It cost me

Yeah, my finely engineered gti cost me $4,000.00 to have the timing chains (2) replaced. It seems that the people at VW have forgotten that Volkswagen means "people's car". Not to mention VW service is horrible. I have never heard of a VW service department that is open on Saturdays. You have to schedule everything. Even oil changes.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wait, we’re supposed to maintain our guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom