• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    There is also the Marlin XL7 and XS7. I think the XL7 is chambered for .270, .30-.06, and something else. The XS7 is chambered for the .243, 7mm-08, and the .308. I have read article after article that says that they are all MOA guns for under $400. I personally was looking into these but ultimately decided I want a .25-.06. If you reload go with the .308 or the 30-06 they can be loaded for yotes, deer and elk. Whatever you get get the one you want our opinions are great but it's you buying the rifle and shooting the rifle so get the one you want. I like that remy BTW.
    And just a thought, if your deer or pig hunting is to be done out of a blind a heavy barrel aint that big a deal as it will spend all it's time either leaning or hanging.
    Guns International

T3hk1w1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    For a hunting/paperpunching do-it-all rifle, I'd recommend a savage. 308 would be a good caliber for anything in this state(minus some of the exotics), and there's a wide variety of match ammo and bullets available in that caliber.
    I recommend the Savage because it is affordable, quite accurate, and good quality.
    The Model 10FP gets a lot of good reviews/reports.
    Also, if you ever decide to get serious about competition, Savages can easily be modded to be match-accurate. Savage 110/10 barrels are very easy to change out, for example.

ExpatBen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    San Antonio
    Buy what you like right now. As a first center fire you will be happier with a .308 because there is more ammo available. ROGER4314 is correct. Most people never shoot out a great distance. If you are going to shoot to 1500 yards there is a lot to learn and practice. Making a shot out past 1000 yards is years of study. By the time you are capable of making that shot, you will know what rifle and cartridge to use.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Buy what you like right now. As a first center fire you will be happier with a .308 because there is more ammo available. ROGER4314 is correct. Most people never shoot out a great distance. If you are going to shoot to 1500 yards there is a lot to learn and practice. Making a shot out past 1000 yards is years of study. By the time you are capable of making that shot, you will know what rifle and cartridge to use.
    Fo sho!
    I'm probably going to get a 25-06 when I get another rifle. I've always wanted one so that is probably what I'll get. just get a rifle you like and go shoot it.

TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.
    I'll tell you what I did. The first rifle I bought was a Remington 700 in .30-06. Classic gun, classic caliber right? Well, after having my forehead gashed open by the scope recoiling at about 1500 fps, I decided that this was perhaps not the set up for me. I hadn't quite learned to what was and wasn't a stable shooting position yet, so give me a break. I used what I had learned with the 700--what I liked and didn't like--and started searching for a new gun/cartridge combo. After reading articles and ballistics tables, I settled on a Kimber 84m in 7mm-08.

The ought six was just to much for the game and distance I was hunting. I just didn't need that much power. I also wanted something with ballistics that were better than a rock in a sock. I know I just PO'd a bunch of ought six fans, but with today's flat-shooting cartridges, there just isn't much point for me in a rock chunker. Same goes for the 308. Anyway, I also decided I wanted a mauser-style controlled feed and claw extractor. The Kimber in 7mm-08 fulfilled all that.

The point here is that it doesn't matter a whole lot what you buy for your first gun. You aren't married to it. Get what you can afford, then if you decide that something else would work better for you, trade it up. That's my two cents.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You didn't PO me and I'm an 06 fan. I think the 30 06 was best described by a gun writer the name escapes me at this moment but he wrote " ...the 30-06 to me seems to be a jack of all trades but a master of none..." And I think he is right, I would rather have a quarter bore (25-06, 257 etc..) for deer size game than the good ole all American 30-06. And I'd rather have a 7mm of one flavor or another or a 300win mag for elk or bigger. Pigs I think you can shoot with anything from a 223 to 700 nitro. LOL! But for an all around gun the 30-06 is an excellent choice IMHO of course.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Rifle calibers face the same issues as do the handguns - each of us is gonna have our likes/dislikes. For me....7mm mag is my "grab-an'-go" huntin' rifle, mainly because I hunt at the invite of others - so it may be 50-100 yard ranges, or 600 yards - it'll take care of business at either end. Havin' said that.....I've got a .35 from my hog-huntin' days still, my 22-250 from the varmintin' days, a .22 mag from the trap-runnin' days, several .22's for coon huntin', an' a custom-built .308 on a Ruger M77 action, Attwood bull barrel, and "Seals" 6 x 24 x 50 scope that'll bust 'bout anything I can see. The .308 was a "weak moment" purchase that I need ta put up for sale/trade sooner or later, but it IS a sweet li'l piece.

holy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    houston
    Because the only one I own is a .22

So I'm looking for a good all around hunting/paper-puncher rifle. I had been looking at the Remington SPS tactical in .308 as it would be a good ordinary cartridge in a proven action. If I am to own only one bolt gun is .308 the cartridge to go with or should I step up to 7mm? Or another caliber all together? Or even another rifle? Maybe Howa or Savage? Would like to keep the initial rifle cost under $600. TIA

go with what rifle fits you the best when you hold her.
    id stick with the 308, just because its so utilitarian.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I concur - you need to find friends that have various calibers to find one you like, then try fit-testing several until you find one that swings to your shoulder naturally. THEN you'll know which one to buy!

<to start with, anyways.....> ;)

Top Bottom