• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sineypem

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2014
    TEXAS
    where the hell can I find a cheap decent pick up? Daughters gettin her license so wife said I need to get a cheap reliable truck. I’m out east of dallas near Terrell.
    Hurley's Gold

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Craigslist is what they call it now. Buy from an individual if you can. Dealers clean things up and hide issues, or get the vehicle at auction and really have no idea what shape the vehicle is in.

Of course the good news is, vehicles are much more reliable now than they were decades ago.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Deals are where you find them but here are some hints:

I was looking for a F 350 and stopped off at a dealer in a big city, not in ranch or farm country. Folks said they did not have any and rarely saw saw them. SO got my wife with me and we are wandering around hoping to find a Superduty to show her. Back of the building there sit a 1 year old F 350. It was sitting with a bunch of other cars and all had writing on the windshield, made no sense to me but looked like some kind of codes for sales. I am thinking its brand new. So I ask about it thinking it had maybe just arrived. Sales manager said that is our auction lot, those will get hauled off to auction Monday. He said if you are interested in it I will sell it at Trade in value, which is about what we expect at Auction. I looked, low mi, pristine shape, loaded out. I walked and before I drove off the lot he came out and said I can do better and I ened up getting for $2500 under trade-in
    So I ask, why? Owners, wife's, brother's son bought it thru us. We rarely sell a Superduty, if we do its almost always ordered or bought from another dealer.

What I learned: Lot of dealers do not hold onto trade-ins more than the time till the next auction. Their bread and butter is in new car sales. This was back in '09. In '11 I traded it in on a '11 F 350 and I bought it from a dealer, over in Eagle Pass, he gave me for that '09, $500 more than I paid for it 2 years later.

Last year I bough my '17 F 350 from a small dealer in Fredericksburg Tx (McLane) and I traded in my '15 dually. I gave $2500 under family and friends invoice. His business model at McLane is to make his money on the back end from Ford based upon hold back, and volume. What did he do with my '15 dually? It went to auction the following week. When I went to look at the first '17 King Ranch in the area which was on his lot and had been there all of 2 days. The sales guy came out, said are you interested in buying a '17? YEA, IF the price is right (thinking they wanted FULL MSRP and maybe + as they had one and almost no one did. Sales guy said , we sell at invoice and no add on like lifetime wax jobs and other BS. I had several incentives and got it right.

Take away is don't be afraid of dealers, ask if they have some auction trucks (sales guys may or may not know), but a walk out back may land you a great deal, it did me.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm not sure that the words cheap are reliable are compatible

I bought my son a cheap pickup and proceeded to drop $1100 over the next 2 years on things that were not done to it because of poor maintenance

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Look into the Nissan Frontiers. They have minimal changes from 2006 until even now, so they already start out as the lowest priced truck in its class. Then, they've basically been using the same design for over 10 years, so it's a proven platform. If you get one before 2012, the only major issue to watch out for is the transmission coolers leak at a weld, allowing coolant in the transmission. Most owners that are aware of this just bought an aftermarket cooler and swapped them out. It's very easy to do. Other than that - they're solid trucks that hold together as well as the older gen Tacomas.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Not my truck, but FS by owner right here where I live and it's taking up like 12 parking spaces. Come and get it!

Attachments

• IMG_20180401_194755110.jpg
      IMG_20180401_194755110.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 295
    • IMG_20180401_194809707.jpg
      IMG_20180401_194809707.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 322
    Reactions: MTA

sineypem

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2014
    TEXAS
    I'm not sure that the words cheap are reliable are compatible

I bought my son a cheap pickup and proceeded to drop $1100 over the next 2 years on things that were not done to it because of poor maintenance

Well I don’t mind working on it on occasion but not pulling heads and transmission out in a month of owning it lol

sineypem

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2014
    TEXAS
    Craigslist is what they call it now. Buy from an individual if you can. Dealers clean things up and hide issues, or get the vehicle at auction and really have no idea what shape the vehicle is in.

Of course the good news is, vehicles are much more reliable now than they were decades ago.

I’ve been watching craigslist but half the posts seem to be scams or wrong number bs.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I’ve been watching craigslist but half the posts seem to be scams or wrong number bs.

Yes, but the flip side is, the honest sellers are seeing the same scams in reverse, so they'll at least be excited to find an honest buyer and might be more willing to make a deal after all the headaches.

My daughter just got a nice vehicle off craigslist that where the guy came down almost 25% from where the market was because she could s come back with a cashiers check for the bank that still had the title.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    "Cheap" is the part that's hard. Pickups hold their value pretty well. As long as it will run, somebody will buy it.

Yeah the outrageous pricing of new trucks, is the best thing to happen to used-truck values.

$50-$70k for a new half-ton is retarded. And new diesel 3/4-ton and above can push $100k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Next door neighbor has a Colorado for sale. He bought it used from a Chevy dealer about 3 years ago. Not sure why since he's retired and has two other vehicles. He probably hasn't put 10k miles on it since he bought it. It looks nice and it's just a single cab. If interested I can grab his info off the for sale sign.

Top Bottom