I need advice on long term storage of Ammo

98f150

Sep 20, 2008
I have been buying thounds of rounds of .223, 40s&w and I want to start to pack them up for long term storage and I don't know the best way to do this. I may be a nut but I am afraid of whats going on in our country. I won't be happy until I have 15,000 rounds of 223 and 2,000 rounds of 40 S&W and 1500 rounds of 9mm

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
Round Rock
Military surplus ammo cans. Pack 'em in w/ a dessicant pack and leave them sealed for the next century and they will be fine. Try to store the cans in a fairly climate controlled area. A closet inside is good. The garage is less ideal. The attic is BAD, especially in Texas summer heat.

I have ammo I loaded over 25 years ago that was stored in such a fashion. It shoots as good now as it did then. Military surplus ammo from the 40's is still in excellent condition.

lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
Idaho
Buy some surplus military ammo cans, make sure before you buy them that the seals in the lids are good, and store your ammo in those, they're excellent for long term storage cause they have a weather tight seal.

wayneside

Feb 14, 2009
Got a thousand rounds of 40 if you are interested...

I was checking this thread out to see what others were recommending as I'm stocking up as well.

country_boy

TGT Addict
Feb 7, 2009
Round Rock
I know now where all the .223 is going

Like robocop said make sure to put a dessicant pack in the ammo container.
The first time I started to store ammo and about a month later

Top Bottom