• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    My plan is to use an Aero Precision 12" enhanced rail on a 12.5" barrel, with a Ferfrans CRD at the tip.

Something like this...
    777796d219aaba387d840db7afdd2783.jpg

This is a 7" version on a 7.5" barrel. Here's the catch, the 7" version is actually 7.25" and the 12" is 12.63". SO, this means that the locking tab will mostly be under the handguard because that is a 9.652mm difference. I want it to stick out about as much as it does in the photo, if not just under a TAAAAAD more, but out enough to lock without a tool.

So I was looking into barrel spacers, knowing nothing about this situation, and found this...

https://www.capitolarmory.com/1-2x28-rifle-thread-spacer.html

First, will this work for what I need it to do?

Also, would I put the crush washer before, or after this?

Last, should I just go with a jam nut and a non threaded spacer just to fill the gap?

I hope I've explained my predicament well enough for you all to help me out. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

PS, I WILL NOT, at any time in the near future, be suppressing this upper.

God bless,

Jon
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• 777796d219aaba387d840db7afdd2783.jpg
      777796d219aaba387d840db7afdd2783.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 317

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Inly if you are going .300blk imho.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is proof that someone thought “I want to set those people on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done”.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Inly if you are going .300blk imho.

The fact that flamethrowers exist is proof that someone thought “I want to set those people on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done”.

Not sure I understand the joke and/or advice.

I do have a 300BO in 9". I have a 10.3 5.56 and now I am working on this 12.5. Loving both of them so far. Thanks.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    In my mind the threaded spacer would be the legit way to go about it. Also in my mind, I'd crushwasher front and back. Does your muzzle device use a crush at the back of it now?

As it sits on the upper it is on right now, it is a one sided crush washer. However, I will probably pick this up...

https://www.wingtactical.com/firear...p-enterprises-double-crush-washer-1-2-28-tpi/

So I guess use the threaded spacer, and then put the JP crush washer on? Not a jam nut?

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As it sits on the upper it is on right now, it is a one sided crush washer. However, I will probably pick this up...

https://www.wingtactical.com/firear...p-enterprises-double-crush-washer-1-2-28-tpi/

So I guess use the threaded spacer, and then put the JP crush washer on? Not a jam nut?
    Jam nut would work... but the crush washer seems like it would be a cleaner finish. I like neat. But your gonna be doing some Rambo stuff.... maybe a jam nut would NEVER come loose.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Jam nut would work... but the crush washer seems like it would be a cleaner finish. I like neat. But your gonna be doing some Rambo stuff.... maybe a jam nut would NEVER come loose.

Ha, nah I'm just a weekly shooter. I like neat as well. I guess I'll just order both and try the double sided crush washer first. But you think the spacer would work out just fine?

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    Not sure I understand the joke and/or advice.

I do have a 300BO in 9". I have a 10.3 5.56 and now I am working on this 12.5. Loving both of them so far. Thanks.

Personally, I don’t feel like there is a really good reason to shorten a 16” ar in 5.56/.223. You are just sacrificing round performance. The .300blk was really designed for close up work indoors with a suppressor, so losing the long range pop doesn’t really matter.

These are just me personal opinions.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Personally, I don’t feel like there is a really good reason to shorten a 16” ar in 5.56/.223. You are just sacrificing round performance. The .300blk was really designed for close up work indoors with a suppressor, so losing the long range pop doesn’t really matter.

These are just me personal opinions.

OHHHH. I think I was reading your sig, about the flame thrower and thought you posted that and was like what the hell does that mean.

But I get you. Respect your opinion. I first did a pistol upper build for a good truck gun and I'm glad I did. I'm no amazing shot but I can get a decent group or about 3-8" depending on if I stand or lay, at 100 yards. I haven't done it out to 2-300 yet but I'm happy with that, especially being out of the 10.3.

Doing the research, the 12.5 should give me enough velocity and stability to get a decent group out to 600 yards, if I were benched. Again, that's what I read, but personally I don't expect to use these past 100 anyway, if I "had to". I have long barreled AR's for that.

But if I ever get into the long game, I'd probably go with an AR10 or Rem700 anyway.

Another reason for the builds, are the kids. I start mine out early and they love em.

Top Bottom