Target Sports

I officially hate and despise the Springfield XD!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadeye1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    GRAPEVINE
    i dont see the point in the safety on the grip.
    what is with that?

Wolfwood, it is just another safety incorporated in the weapon. To give you a great example and before people start blasting me, this is not a knock on Glocks, I like them too.

If you followed the Plaxico Burress story( receiver from the Giants), his side of the story was the gun was falling down his pants, he reached to grab the gun so it would not hit the floor, his finger landed on the trigger and he shot himself in the leg. This COULD NOT happen with a grip safety because you MUST engage the grip safety for the trigger to become functional. He was carrying a Glock and if you pull the trigger, it will go bang. I personally like the XD design and the grip safety for me has never been an issue.
    DK Firearms

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Hasn't been an issue for the near 100 years of the 1911...

So it won't go off if the trigger is pulled unless you're gripping the pistol. Same as the 1911.

Just like people pin the grip safety on 1911's if he didn't agree with this feature he could easily duck tape it down or slide a Hogue sleeve over it...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have had one gun go off when it was not supposed to and had the weapon had a grip safety i don't think it would have went off. It was a negligent discharge not an accidental discharge I know this. It was a lot like Plaxico's incident the gun fell I caught it it went boom. Side note the gun was not supposed to have a round in the chamber either, Just remember that the gun is never unloaded. Never!
    Sig how did you manege to do that? I'm buying one of these guns for my side arm at work and would like to know how to avoid this problem.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Wolfwood, it is just another safety incorporated in the weapon. To give you a great example and before people start blasting me, this is not a knock on Glocks, I like them too.

If you followed the Plaxico Burress story( receiver from the Giants), his side of the story was the gun was falling down his pants, he reached to grab the gun so it would not hit the floor, his finger landed on the trigger and he shot himself in the leg. This COULD NOT happen with a grip safety because you MUST engage the grip safety for the trigger to become functional. He was carrying a Glock and if you pull the trigger, it will go bang. I personally like the XD design and the grip safety for me has never been an issue.

How do you know a grip safety would have prevented this? His finger hit the trigger, odds are his hand was around the grip of the gun.

I don't know a lot about this case, so you might know more than me.

The one thing that bothers me about grip safeties is that, like magazine safeties, it is just one more thing to go wrong.

I also know that MANY very reliable guns have them and it doesn't seem to be a problem. It is just in the back of my mind. I don't think it would keep me from buying a gun, I just would think twice about getting one if I had a choice.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Hell if I could ever get the grip angle down off the draw on a Glock I'd buy one of those without a single hesitation. But I can't seem to get it down so........................... I'll go with the XD till Glock comes out with another grip angle option. If they would make a more "pointable" model for me I'd buy it!

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Grip angle fixed...
    DSCN0207.jpg

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Not really -

it's still on a Glock!

Yeah I know I can get it done and I have never handled one with this treatment on the grip. But I can buy a gun for carry at work that doesn't have to be modified. That way if god forbid I ever have to draw my weapon and use it, the local DA cannot call it "modified to be a more efficient killing machine" Because with all the libtards in Austin I would expect to hear that. But if that fixes the problem then maybe a Glock isn't necessarily out of the picture.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yeah I know I can get it done and I have never handled one with this treatment on the grip. But I can buy a gun for carry at work that doesn't have to be modified. That way if god forbid I ever have to draw my weapon and use it, the local DA cannot call it "modified to be a more efficient killing machine" Because with all the libtards in Austin I would expect to hear that. But if that fixes the problem then maybe a Glock isn't necessarily out of the picture.

Hey BC, if you have to buy a plastic pistol for work, buy a Sig. If not, buy a 1911, no mods needed!

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea

Whoah there Big Country there are liberals in austin? Who let that cat out of the bag?

Big_Blue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Spring
    I really like my XD's, and don't see the Issues with the Grip Safety, or Field Stripping that people are having!! I would really like to know what happened to Sig's Finger though??

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow, I can't believe this thread is up to 6 pages after having been away for 1 day. ;) lol

The way this incident happened is I was attempting to disassemble the gun to show a customer the dual recoil spring mechanism (they were newbies). Sometimes, when disassembling certain guns, I find it a bit easier to rotate the gun to the left a bit in my hand (I'm right-handed) so that I can more easily operate the slide lock lever. I had the mag out already so I shifted my grip to get my strong hand thumb on the slide lock lever, then came up over the top of the slide with my support hand to rip the slide backwards and lock it. I'm usually very forceful whenever it comes to manipulating a slide. Anyways, as I did this I think the gun shifted just a little in my strong hand and must have barely re-engaged the grip safety causing the slide to lock after it traveled 1/4" or so. Lots of rearward force with the support hand = support hand index finger slamming into the rear sight, and it's as simple as that.

One other thing I dislike about the XD is the fact that it has that "step" in the slide instead of a single plane (that little 90 degree "step" near the bottom half of the slide). That is just crap and really serves to do nothing except break up the surface of what should have been a flat plane, and to create a bit less surface area to get a solid grip on when manipulating the slide. The XD-M does not have this step, and instead has a beveled profile that has more or less a single plane to it. I like the XD-M substantially better.

Bottom line, nothing wrong with a grip safety, HOWEVER, the grip safety being designed to lock up the action of the gun is a serious design flaw as far as I'm concerned. I've sat here and pondered it for quite awhile, and I see absolutely no valid reason to have the grip safety disable the slide from still actuating.

Okierifleman, I will indeed race you to that XD, however let me put on my kevlar gloves first. ;) lol j/k

deadeye1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    GRAPEVINE
    How do you know a grip safety would have prevented this? His finger hit the trigger, odds are his hand was around the grip of the gun.

I don't know a lot about this case, so you might know more than me.

The one thing that bothers me about grip safeties is that, like magazine safeties, it is just one more thing to go wrong.

I also know that MANY very reliable guns have them and it doesn't seem to be a problem. It is just in the back of my mind. I don't think it would keep me from buying a gun, I just would think twice about getting one if I had a choice.

No one can say for sure 100% but the odds of grabbing the grip safety and the trigger at the same time as the gun is free falling inside your pants is very slim. In his interview, he said he made bad judgement after another. He should of had the weapon holstered, on the other hand, he should have not been carrying inside a night club.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    No one can say for sure 100% but the odds of grabbing the grip safety and the trigger at the same time as the gun is free falling inside your pants is very slim. In his interview, he said he made bad judgement after another. He should of had the weapon holstered, on the other hand, he should have not been carrying inside a night club.

Well he's an NFL player... nobody can accuse him of using sound judgment...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Well he's an NFL player... nobody can accuse him of using sound judgment...

oh come on.

Making at least 500K/year only at the expense of a few brain cells (for defense) and bodily injury.

Most people don't even use those brain cells.

Nothing about being in the NFL makes you stupid.

EDIT: oh no, it is my 666th post. . . . . .what should I do?!!!

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    oh come on.

Making at least 500K/year only at the expense of a few brain cells (for defense) and bodily injury.

Most people don't even use those brain cells.

Nothing about being in the NFL makes you stupid.

EDIT: oh no, it is my 666th post. . . . . .what should I do?!!!

No but loose carrying a weapon loaded at a titty bar probably makes you stupid...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom