Venture Surplus ad

I own the biggest POS mower in all of Bell County.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    My grounds department runs nothing but Echo for all their small engine needs. Don't have too many of them come through the shop.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I started converting over to stihl about 5 years ago. So far, havent regretted it one bit. I have a dealer/service shop less than 2 miles from the house. Thought that they would come in handy with the warranty after fighting the cheaper brands. So far, havent had to take a single thing in! Last purchase was the smallest chainsaw they had. That little sucker is great! Light, easy to start, 16" bar. I bought it to replace my old pulan wild thing I bought after Rita in '05. That sucker started third pull, every time no matter how long it had sat (up to 4+ years at times with gas in the tank and carb)! I put it in my storage bulding and it got flooded and spent a few days under water, then a few months before I realized it had went under. Dont care what anyone says, that poulan was the best $149 Ive ever spent on a power tool at walmart! I may pull it out and try and resurrect it sometime in the future!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I started converting over to stihl about 5 years ago. So far, havent regretted it one bit. I have a dealer/service shop less than 2 miles from the house. Thought that they would come in handy with the warranty after fighting the cheaper brands. So far, havent had to take a single thing in! Last purchase was the smallest chainsaw they had. That little sucker is great! Light, easy to start, 16" bar. I bought it to replace my old pulan wild thing I bought after Rita in '05. That sucker started third pull, every time no matter how long it had sat (up to 4+ years at times with gas in the tank and carb)! I put it in my storage bulding and it got flooded and spent a few days under water, then a few months before I realized it had went under. Dont care what anyone says, that poulan was the best $149 Ive ever spent on a power tool at walmart! I may pull it out and try and resurrect it sometime in the future!

The Poulan Wild Thing is the one I smashed with a hammer. First one I had was great. Gave it to my dad and he used it for years.

Second one leaked gas and I returned it for #3. It was decent but was never as good as the first. Only had it a few years before it wouldn't run right even though it was stored dry. They changed something between #1 and #2 and were never the same. Made it cheaper I suppose.

New plug, carb cleaned and adjusted, new filter and gas lines, completely disassembled and checked, didn't matter. Still wouldn't function.

Smashed it and walked away.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I walked into a local saw place and they had a display at the register. $20 for a poulan repair kit garranteed to fix any issue you had with your poulan saw. When I asked about it out of curiosity, they handed me a cheap sledge hammer and a stihl brochure! Lol

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The best saw I ever had was a little McCollough arbor saw I bought for $25 at a garage sale. 12 or 14" blade, can't recall.

That little saw ran like crazy, never had a moments trouble with it. It looked like hell, probably from the 70's.

I got a raise, so I decided to buy a bigger one. Cool looking Homelite with a case and a kit. So I sold the McCullough at a garage sale for the $25 I paid. Big mistake. 1997 was a bad year for saws apparently.

That Homelite is still sitting in my garage. Maybe used it 6 or 8 times. I thought last week that I would order a new carb, get some gas line and try to get it running. Lord knows it hasn't seen much action.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The Poulan Wild Thing is the one I smashed with a hammer. First one I had was great. Gave it to my dad and he used it for years.

Second one leaked gas and I returned it for #3. It was decent but was never as good as the first. Only had it a few years before it wouldn't run right even though it was stored dry. They changed something between #1 and #2 and were never the same. Made it cheaper I suppose.

New plug, carb cleaned and adjusted, new filter and gas lines, completely disassembled and checked, didn't matter. Still wouldn't function.

Smashed it and walked away.
    It was a Poulan that got thrown for distance by me
    It would start cold fine but after you shut it off to refuel. It would vapor lock and not start again until it cooled totally off

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Guys, try the Mechanic in the Bottle stuff you get at HD. Drain the junk out the tank, add the MIB stuff straight from the bottle then crack to get it into the carb. Then let it sit overnight.

I've not had anything not start after uses it. And that was engines I couldn't start for a couple of years. The stuff works.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've got a 4 year old mower that quit working 3 years ago. Changed the plug, even shot a little gas directly in the cylinder head, pulled the starter rope until my arm was sore, but not even a pop. So it's been sitting out behind my shed in the weather, uncovered, for 3 years. Today, thanks to this thread, I found this video. Did what he said, put it back together, and on the 2nd pull it fired up and runs like new. Go figure.

Thanks GHG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've got a 4 year old mower that quit working 3 years ago. Changed the plug, even shot a little gas directly in the cylinder head, pulled the starter rope until my arm was sore, but not even a pop. So it's been sitting out behind my shed in the weather, uncovered, for 3 years. Today, thanks to this thread, I found this video. Did what he said, put it back together, and on the 2nd pull it fired up and runs like new. Go figure.

Thanks GHG

That white piece on the bottom of the upper part of the carb. The piece he sticks some copper wire in at around minute 3:56. Pops out. It's a snap fit. You can remove it without hurting the carb. There's two small tabs on the longer of the sides that hold it in.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    That white piece on the bottom of the upper part of the carb. The piece he sticks some copper wire in at around minute 3:56. Pops out. It's a snap fit. You can remove it without hurting the carb. There's two small tabs on the longer of the sides that hold it in.
    Yeah, I didn't pull that out. The venturi wasn't clogged that I could see. Blew it out anyway with some canned air. Honestly, I couldn't find anything wrong in the carb. Everything was in place, everything was clean. Probably had at most, 2 hours of run time on the motor since new. Might have just been bad gas or water in the tank all along. Before it quit running, it had been stored inside and I always use Stabil in the fuel.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yeah, I didn't pull that out. The venturi wasn't clogged that I could see. Blew it out anyway with some canned air. Honestly, I couldn't find anything wrong in the carb. Everything was in place, everything was clean. Probably had at most, 2 hours of run time on the motor since new. Might have just been bad gas or water in the tank all along. Before it quit running, it had been stored inside and I always use Stabil in the fuel.

Every time moisture gets into it is when it won't run. I popped that piece out by accident using compressed air. That was the first time I pulled the carb off. The carb was clean. It's moisture that messes it up. Any water at all in the carb bowl and the basturd will not run. It'll fire up after you prime but won't stay running. Prime again and it'll start and then putter out. Overall it's a good motor. It's the gas tank and carb that gives the grief.

Grasshopper, I've got a worn out, ragged, POS, high back office desk chair I'll trade for your mower. :green: :banana:

Maybe!

Too late. Lol. Already have a worn out office chair. Also known as the beer drinking chair. It stays outside.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Think calm thoughts, thinking calm thoughts. The rage...oh the insatiable rage. It comes from a deep dark place.

I can't be around a hammer at the moment. Or a gun. Serenity Now. The most awesome mower ever made has helped me feel alive, once again. I want to shoot it right in the crank case. Then bust it into tootsie roll sized pieces. Then set the pieces on fire. Then said pieces thrown in the street. Then the pieces stomped like a roaches in a truck stop bathroom.

This mower....this wonderful mower. It's like an old friend that owes you money....but is always broke.

Bless this mechanical contraption. May the pope himself say a prayer for this massive, gotdamn, piece of ever-loving $hit.

Serenity Now.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Think calm thoughts, thinking calm thoughts. The rage...oh the insatiable rage. It comes from a deep dark place.

I can't be around a hammer at the moment. Or a gun. Serenity Now. The most awesome mower ever made has helped me feel alive, once again. I want to shoot it right in the crank case. Then bust it into tootsie roll sized pieces. Then set the pieces on fire. Then said pieces thrown in the street. Then the pieces stomped like a roaches in a truck stop bathroom.

This mower....this wonderful mower. It's like an old friend that owes you money....but is always broke.

Bless this mechanical contraption. May the pope himself say a prayer for this massive, gotdamn, piece of ever-loving $hit.

Serenity Now.

giphy.gif

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

Serenity Now.
    New carb time, life's too short to get that twisted up over a mower.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom