Lynx Defense

I Paid My Annual Rent (AKA Property Tax)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    What pisses me off is that I live about 1/4 mile from the county line and the folks in Cherokee county pay about 60% of what I do for equal value. Smith county sucks big time not to mention the school district that I pay for...as a 70 year old
    Military Camp

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    If enough people just stop paying it they can't do anything about it.

Yes they can and do. They sue your ass.

My ex never took my name off of her land deed in the divorce settlement nor list HER address. She didn’t pay, and I was the one with a lawsuit on my hands. It took me an incredible amount of time and effort to clear my end of it.

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    Just make it taxable like buying a car. One and done. At the very least, once mortgage is paid, all taxes should be considered paid at least until it changes hands again.

I am all for paying taxes to shore up the infrastructure of a community but one just needs to look at what a city or town spends to see they can not even do that effectively. Panther Island in DtW is just but one example.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    I've been paying school taxes for over 50 years and my kids only used the schools for 12. For the last 16 years I've been paying school taxes in a school district that the kids were never in.
    Yep, no kids and how much have I paid into the ISD that is chitty to boot? My Aunt and cousin are teachers in that ISD for a combined 50 years and both are hard core leftists. The tax paying citizen is f'ked at every turn.

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    The taxes are only a symptom of the problem.

The problem is the insatiable appetite of elected officials to spend money — partly to “solve” problems and largely to BUY votes with our money!
    And we have a winner!

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    So lets pump those numbers up ;)

28B1FAE5-8663-4C3F-A42A-B32D831910F6.jpeg

Attachments

• 28B1FAE5-8663-4C3F-A42A-B32D831910F6.jpeg
      28B1FAE5-8663-4C3F-A42A-B32D831910F6.jpeg
      25.1 KB · Views: 203

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I had thought property taxes here were pretty low but then heard they are actually very high as compared to other states. I saw one person said he pays $11K on a house in Austin. I am quite curious, what do others pay in property taxes throughout TX. In NY, I was paying right around $9,800.00 per year in property taxes for the general property tax, the school property tax and my local village property tax. My house was approximately 1,200 square feet on a 40x100' lot and was in what was considered a low tax area and taxes there were low because the village was the county seat. I know people in NY who were paying over $20K for a similarly sized house elsewhere in NY.

Of course, NY also has an income tax (thankfully my pension was not taxed by NY but my retirement job income was) and high sales tax (not as high as where my some places in AR and maybe around the same as where I live in TX but not sure of that since I don't what what the rate is here).

NY routinely comes in as having the highest overall taxes. No income tax, the thought it had low property taxes and the gun laws made TX quite alluring. Yet, if TX property taxes are not going to be as good as I had initially thought they would be, I think I will have to consider moving to TN when I buy a house sometime within the next year or so. TN has low property taxes, no state income tax there either and also has excellent gun laws.

What surprised me most about living in TX is that my auto insurance rate is higher than it was in NY. I was told that is because there are many more uninsured motorists here in TX although I find that hard to believe after having lived in NY because I thought they were all there! One thing much less expensive here is renters/homeowner's insurance rates. Utilities are also much lower here than in NY, at least where I live now.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    IRS tax law changes make it worse since the standard deduction for a couple is $24k. My house interest/taxes and a few things allowed me to file long form until the changes 2 years ago. I believe you're allowed $10k max now for homeowner tax right-offs which was never a problem for me but places like California and New York have plenty of homes that far exceeded those limits. While I've increased my withholding the past 2 years are the first time in my life I've had to pay the IRS on April 15th.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In my county in Texas, when homeowners reach 65 yo, they can apply for, and receive property tax exemption. My county also exempts Road & Bridge, school taxes and the dump sticker is even free! It's not automatic. The resident must apply for the exemption. There are many tax exemptions available for other reasons than age, but YOU need to investigate them!

I discovered those exemptions a year after I turned 65 and filed for it late. The county REFUNDED everything that I paid in for that year! Now, the exemption applies every year.

For some odd reason, $1.30 of my tax bill was not exempted. After 7 years, they sent me a "past due" letter and I paid that by check. With penalties, it was about $1.75. You just need to keep up with it!

I understand that all Texas counties can choose how they can exempt older resident taxes. My county just erases them! There are many tax exemptions available in Texas, but you gotta beat the bushes to find them! It's up to you.

Flash

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    IRS tax law changes make it worse since the standard deduction for a couple is $24k. My house interest/taxes and a few things allowed me to file long form until the changes 2 years ago. I believe you're allowed $10k max now for homeowner tax right-offs which was never a problem for me but places like California and New York have plenty of homes that far exceeded those limits. While I've increased my withholding the past 2 years are the first time in my life I've had to pay the IRS on April 15th.
    I keep more money out of my paycheck and then PLAN to pay them their chunk on 4/15 and not before. That way throughout the year I can have access to the money for an emergency I can use if needed. They don’t get to hold it all year, I do.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom