Join TexasGunTalk

I Paid My Annual Rent (AKA Property Tax)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TX OMFS, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Real County appraisal district tried to raise my appraised value on my land over 250% last year. Just said screw 'em and sold it. Somebody else's problem now.

2. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Not only is the tax painful, but it's not evenly distributed. Like someone said, a punishment for living in a nice place.

The politicians will say, "We lowered the tax rate!", but they just raise the valuation and wind up with more money every year.

I feel like a retired person, or someone like a disabled veteran should have a point where they can have one place to live on that's not taxed. But then again I feel like government could be cut to a far smaller size than it is right now and we'd all be better off.

CyberWolf, EZ-E and busykngt like this.
  3. Wiliamr

Wiliamr Active Member TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Our house in Austin in 1974 market value value was 18000 with property tax of 150 dollars. Today they say the market value is 405000 and property tax if we were not frozen on school taxes last 14 years would be 11000. In 1974 150 dollars adjusted to todays monetary value is 782 dollars. So property value is 22.5 times as much and tax is 73.3 times as much..... Somethings very wrong here....

MTA89, CyberWolf, TheDan and 4 others like this.
  4. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    I couldn't live like that.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  5. ronbwolf

ronbwolf New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    You miss the point. Let's say someone owns a small apartment building, say 10 units. So something comes up to raise property taxes, or a rent control bill. The owner and his wife get two votes, the 10 couples get 20 votes, does that seem fair? And rent is based on what the market will bear, it is not some algorithm that takes into account property tax.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

G O B likes this.
  6. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I hate you. I pay a lot more for a lot less. Really, I'm just jealous like Moonpie is of my Glock collection.

Glenn B and Dad_Roman like this.
  7. TX OMFS

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    The lion's share.

Well, ISD's are government entities and we can elect their board of directors and vote on their bonds & tax assessments. But I still agree with you that school taxes are crap.

vote-no-on-everything-we-dont-need-it-we-cant-5898338.png

8. TX OMFS

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Remember when we didn't have a federal income tax but we still had roads, trains, and subways? Or and ISD tax but we still had schools? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

CyberWolf, cdb, pronstar and 3 others like this.
  9. TX OMFS

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I got something huge they can tax. Prime location for them too.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  10. G O B

G O B School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows

Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I left Maryland when THEY TAXED THE RAIN! On top of-
    State tax + 50% County tax +tax surcharge (tax on tax) + sewer tax (on my septic system) + property tax + "front footage" tax + + + +