Patriot Mobile

I Paid My Annual Rent (AKA Property Tax)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was talking about the odometer miles scenario. It’s not fair to compute road usage tax by odometer miles because not all those miles might be on public roads and there is no way to prove how many miles I drove on the beach or whatever.

Like the gov cares. Drive 1,000 miles on your own property and they just get free money.

No different than many cities charging sewage rates based on water usage despite having no way to calculate how many gallons you used watering your yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    It comes from here: http://urbanfortcollins.com/greatest-demand-on-tax-dollars/

“The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) sets a 18,000 pound big-rig as the median vehicle size, and therefore it’s the scale against which all other vehicles are judged. (The largest vehicle allowed on the road has a maximum weight allowance of 80,000 lbs!) I picked a few random vehicles that we might see on our local roads and I’ve used the Fourth Power Law to determine how they stack up in terms of damage caused to roads.”

Such is the reason for the weight and terms used it seems.

I doubt if you point at a bobtail freightliner and as someone if it’s a “big rig” they’ll say no. And given that the weight is accurate for a bobtail rig and the numbers were sourced from an organization tasked with determining wear and tear on highway infrastructure in order to help determine the types of materials that should be used based on expected traffic (as best I can tell after briefly checking out their website) I will assume the numbers are at least within ballpark accuracy.

The link in the article returns a 404 error though and I didn’t bother searching to find the actual source of their numbers. So not going to say it’s impossible that they’ve been fudged in some way or cherry picked from a particular surface type.

The largest weight allowed on the road is 80,000 lbs should read the largest non-permitted load on the road is 80,000 lbs.

Merriam Webster.

rig noun

Definition of rig (Entry 2 of 3)
    1 : the distinctive shape, number, and arrangement of sails and masts of a ship
    2 : equipage especially : a carriage with its horse
    3 : clothing, dress
    4 : tackle, equipment, or machinery fitted for a specified purpose an oil-drilling rig
    5 : a tractor-trailer combination

Note #5

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The largest weight allowed on the road is 80,000 lbs should read the largest non-permitted load on the road is 80,000 lbs.

I doubt their was any reason to get that specific for the purpose of the article.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The first line on your chart casts doubt on the whole chart as it is totally incorrect. A Big Rig grossing 9 tons. ROTFLMAO. My PU and RV grosses 23k. The Peterbilt I had in the past by itself weighed 19k. Those "facts" cast doubt on the entirety if the chart.

Heavier vehicles are even more damaging.

But do your own research and don’t believe anything you read on the interweb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The link in the article returns a 404 error though and I didn’t bother searching to find the actual source of their numbers. So not going to say it’s impossible that they’ve been fudged in some way or cherry picked from a particular surface type.

Weird, works from my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    What do the big developers do after acquiring a nice piece of property in San Antonio while waiting to flip or develop it ? State law allows them (with a bit of legal paperwork) to declare it a bird sanctuary. Promise to feed the birds on it every week or two...

Birdseed is not cheap, but less than 1% what the taxes would be.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    What do the big developers do after acquiring a nice piece of property in San Antonio while waiting to flip or develop it ? State law allows them (with a bit of legal paperwork) to declare it a bird sanctuary. Promise to feed the birds on it every week or two...

Birdseed is not cheap, but less than 1% what the taxes would be.
    And right here is the problem with taxes. They are never level & equally assessed.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Also, what about if I want to go off roading in my truck? Or go mudding on private property? That’s gonna rack up miles that are not being used on any roads.
    A few years back I read where a state, maybe Washington or Oregon, had come up with a road use tax plan based on miles driven. Their plan was install GPS on every vehicle and track them that way. I suppose the software could be programmed to exclude off road use.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    A few years back I read where a state, maybe Washington or Oregon, had come up with a road use tax plan based on miles driven. Their plan was install GPS on every vehicle and track them that way. I suppose the software could be programmed to exclude off road use.
    it was Commiefornia

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Software could also be programmed to send out speeding tickets as well....

Software could also be programmed aftermarket to trick big brother I imagine. That or a bunch of tin foil wrapped faraday cage vehicles would be driving around. (or just wrap the part that contains the gps and antenna)

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Software could also be programmed aftermarket to trick big brother I imagine. That or a bunch of tin foil wrapped faraday cage vehicles would be driving around. (or just wrap the part that contains the gps and antenna)
    In today's vehicles, it's mostly enough to simply unplug the cellular antenna. The unit might set a code, but that code doesn't trip the check engine light. There's still a small possibility of communication if you're really close to a cell tower, so if you want 100% certainty you'd need to open up the module and do some very minor surgery. In many cars (I'm mostly familiar with GM and getting up to speed on FCA) you can remove the entire module and at most need to jumper two wires in the plug to drive the car. The cellular stuff really isn't that tightly integrated, it's more bolted onto the side.

In the future, they will likely integrate a bit more, but the beauty is cars are still going to be pretty simple - at least until some point it's mandated that cars are to be self-driving and humans can't take the controls any more.

Top Bottom