• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I passed the Technician test in mid Nov and yesterday went for the General and passed it.
    So now I can do more on the HF side. I just got set up with a 2 meter and 75CM radio at home, have had a mobile for awhile.
    What I’m seeing is the HF rigs are much higher in price starting at about a grand and moving up.
    Target Sports

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I passed the Technician test in mid Nov and yesterday went for the General and passed it.
    So now I can do more on the HF side. I just got set up with a 2 meter and 75CM radio at home, have had a mobile for awhile.
    What I’m seeing is the HF rigs are much higher in price starting at about a grand and moving up.
    Awesome, where did you go to do it and how much were the tests?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Awesome, where did you go to do it and how much were the tests?
    When I got my Tech license, I met the local section leader for AARL here and the local ARC had a test scheduled for Jan 9th since Nov and they up and canceled because they are lame losers afraid of covid. So my friend has a VE team of his own and he set up one here in my town. Twelve people showed up total and I had 6 people set to come from my group of friends and all but one of them passed.
    My son is a Senior electrical Engineering student and he came with his 2 old room mates, they all passed the Tech and one of them took the General right after, having not studied..and passed the General!

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Vmax, do you have any study guide recommendations for either the Technician or General test?

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Used is an option. My setup I bought from a fellow ham who is now sk. His wife sold it to me after he passed. I left his name on the bottom of the radio as a reminder of him.

You can also get a single band kit for fairly cheap and make your own wire antenna.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Generous hams got me going 50+ years ago. I worked the world on a donated 3 band vertical and 60W cw.

FCC even sent me a nasty gram from their Alaska monitoring station when I was over driving the system and generating a spurious signal.

Couple of giant mil-surp receivers that smelled funny when on.

Then I got the Drake TR3 set up. State of the art back then with big final tubes and great linear tuning.

Funniest thing was a neighbor complained that I was messing up their TV. I went over and saw the TV was receiving interference. But my rig was 3 houses away and OFF. Didn't matter the neighbor would not believe me.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Got my Tech license back in 97, upgraded to general in 06 I think. Eventually I'll upgrade to Extra. I keep talking about it, but can't seem to get the motivation to study. That test is much harder than General.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics