• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    For study I went clear to Extra without buying any study material. I used the practice tests on QRZ.com. Ran through the question pool, found the areas I was knowledge deficient and studied those researching with Google. There are a lot of different directions the study can be attacked from. Many just cycle the question pool over and over until they memorize the answers but that will not gain you a lot of knowledge, just get you through the tests.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Hey VMax, tell us about your home rig.

I’m studying for the Technician test and I’m starting to look around at equipment. Needless to say, my head is spinning.

jwynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2021
    Bertram , Texas
    I passed the Technician test in mid Nov and yesterday went for the General and passed it.
    So now I can do more on the HF side. I just got set up with a 2 meter and 75CM radio at home, have had a mobile for awhile.
    What I’m seeing is the HF rigs are much higher in price starting at about a grand and moving up.
    Whats your call sign. IM KC5DWG

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I passed the Technician test in mid Nov and yesterday went for the General and passed it.
    So now I can do more on the HF side. I just got set up with a 2 meter and 75CM radio at home, have had a mobile for awhile.
    What I’m seeing is the HF rigs are much higher in price starting at about a grand and moving up.

vmax,

Congrads.

Got my tech during Desert Storm I. - LIFE got in the way of the hobby but as I'm now retired, I'm studying for General.

As to the cost of HF rigs, a Lions Club friend gave me his extra (and $$$$$$$$$$ when it was new, too) ICOM HF radio.

Since then, I was gifted with another HF rig from a silent key's estate. - That ICOM HF will be donated to the new ham radio club at my old boarding school.

BTW, if anyone has "surplus to our needs ham radio gear that the want to donate to the new club, I can get you a donation slip from the school, as we are a non-profit, church sponsored school.

73 de satx

Last edited:

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    AWESOME!! Yeah.. HF rigs are pricey. I waited a year to find a decent deal on an FT-991.. pretty happy with the purchase... but... in hindsight.. I might be enjoying an IC-7300 even more. I've got an FT-3DR that I use for digital... if you've not dipped your toe in the world of DMR/DStart/Fusion on the big groups like Texus Nexus... if you have a digital rig.. I'd check it out. There are regular contacts from all over the world on it... and it's interesting to hear real people talk about what's going on their parts of the world.

Now.. I'll have to catch up on the rest of this thread... congrats on General.. I got mine Dec 2019, but *just* got my HF rig a couple of weeks ago... :)

- D
    KI5GFU - Canyon Lake

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    AWESOME!! Yeah.. HF rigs are pricey. I waited a year to find a decent deal on an FT-991.. pretty happy with the purchase... but... in hindsight.. I might be enjoying an IC-7300 even more. I've got an FT-3DR that I use for digital... if you've not dipped your toe in the world of DMR/DStart/Fusion on the big groups like Texus Nexus... if you have a digital rig.. I'd check it out. There are regular contacts from all over the world on it... and it's interesting to hear real people talk about what's going on their parts of the world.

Now.. I'll have to catch up on the rest of this thread... congrats on General.. I got mine Dec 2019, but *just* got my HF rig a couple of weeks ago... :)

- D
    KI5GFU - Canyon Lake
    I've had a FT3D for a few months and have a Fusion repeater 3 miles away
    I'm on Texas Nexus alot.
    PM me and we can make contact sometime

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I've had a FT3D for a few months and have a Fusion repeater 3 miles away
    I'm on Texas Nexus alot.
    PM me and we can make contact sometime
    Awesome.. we might be hitting the same repeater lol. I'm in the room quite often. :) I'll shoot you a PM for sure! I might be on there around lunch time today, work permitting. :)

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I just passed my General exam today. A week ago, I bought an IC-7300 in anticipation of getting my General.

So now I just have to get it all set up, including getting the coax run into the shack. Can’t wait to get it all fired up.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Congrats on passing and getting the upgrade. That IC-7300 is a nice radio.
    Beware... Ham radio is a hobby that is close to the same money suck as guns.

I have figured that out already. Luckily, I haven’t had to sell any guns to fund this new hobby. . . . yet.

Top Bottom