• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I just passed my General exam today. A week ago, I bought an IC-7300 in anticipation of getting my General.

So now I just have to get it all set up, including getting the coax run into the shack. Can’t wait to get it all fired up.
    Awesome! The 7300 is supposed to be a great rig. I bought the FT-991, which I think is pretty good, and with the VHF/UHF and digital is great all-around but I'm working a lot of HF now and the mute waterfall on the 991 (which is *not* an issue on the 7300, plus it has a larger screen), is a major PAIN. I got a good deal on the 991, but I'd really like to have the 7300.

Congrats and hope to hear you on the air soon!

- David
    KI5GFU

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    ham.jpg

I'm a W-A-5... since 1964

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Awesome! The 7300 is supposed to be a great rig. I bought the FT-991, which I think is pretty good, and with the VHF/UHF and digital is great all-around but I'm working a lot of HF now and the mute waterfall on the 991 (which is *not* an issue on the 7300, plus it has a larger screen), is a major PAIN. I got a good deal on the 991, but I'd really like to have the 7300.

Congrats and hope to hear you on the air soon!

- David
    KI5GFU

I initially thought I wanted the FT-991a just for the convenience of having all bands in one box. But I bought a Kenwood TM-V71 dual band mobile to use as a base station for VHF/UHF.

So, when it came time to buy a HF rig, my choices were the IC-7300 and the Yaesu FTDX-10, which by all reports is a fantastic radio with better noise reduction than the 7300. Plus, it has an external monitor port and USB ports for keyboard and mouse.

I really wanted the FTDX-10, but it is about $800 more than the 7300. I decided that the 7300 has been good enough for lots of experienced operators, so it would be just fine for a rank beginner like me. Plus, the aftermarket support for the 7300 is huge.

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    I can’t do cw just can’t distinguish the dits from the das got ny tech in 2015 general 2016 and my xtra in 2018 and I still can’t copy any thing in cw other than a v

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    No code technician since the 90's.

I was very active from Houston, Rosharon and Marshall with VHF/UHF contesting and grid square chasing. Also some satellite stuff using tracking programs on a Commadore 64 computer..yeah been a minute or two ago.

I've kept my license renewals up but haven't been active in years. I threaten my wife with another hobby but Harleys and 1911s pretty much keep us broke.

The other thing is that I find retirement has made my memory about as short as my....wait a minute....I can't find that either now.

Last edited:

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    Never a better time to get back in Ham.
    At least get a cheap HT and get back on the repeaters
    Yeah you rite.
    I have an entire shack in mothballs at my sons place in Marshall. I keep saying one of these days but I end up taking a nap instead.
    A year or so ago I was working with a guy who was telling me that he was active and didn't even own a radio. He is a computer nerd....So I checked a few links he provided. Man, it took me about 2 minutes to realize so much has changed.
    I really enjoyed VHF/UHF but it was so antenna intensive. I never really desired an HF license because from my limited experience it seemed so cliquey to the point of being like CB channel 19. Full of foul mouth and intentional interference.
    Maybe conditions have improved on the HF bands?
    I did enjoy DXing during band openings on 6m....but again, it was antenna intensive too.
    I had 4 13 element yagi mounted in an H frame on 2m and a huge 6 element yagi on 6m.....a spit ton of aluminum in the air. Now that I'm here in the Hill Country I'd have to go 200 feet up just to clear the hillside I'm on....not a VHF/UHF location.
    Repeater? Maybe.

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    My wife says my hobbies are to expensive
    trap
    Sporting clays
    1911’s
    Bird dogs
    Ham radio
    Reloading
    Building stupid crap out of good steel for all the above

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've got a 10 meter antenna and that's it for HF
    I talk vhf/uhf alot then I got into DMR
    All you need is an HT , Hotspot and internet connection
    I've been talking all over the world nearly every day since

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    Got an I com 51a being technologically challenged and being about a patient as a hungry bear haven’t never learned to operate it did managed to get it programmed it all the local repeaters

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Got an I com 51a being technologically challenged and being about a patient as a hungry bear haven’t never learned to operate it did managed to get it programmed it all the local repeaters
    If you don't already use it, I'd recommend CHIRP to program it.

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    I have the rt systems software for it used a lot in my company truck as emergency communications believe it or not there are places within 40 miles of midland you can’t use a cell phone

Top Bottom