• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Although, do you think the star of the movie actually put whatever rounds there were onto the belt?

I wouldn't think so.

The whole thing is fishy as hell. But as the producer, the buck is supposed to stop with him. If someone's putting live rounds in prop guns and gun belts, he's responsible for that criminally reckless behavior.

Sadly, the armorer will get the blame, even though she was apparently herding cats dealing with the rest of the crew.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Why wasn't the 'prop gun' an actual 'prop gun' rather than a functional/real firearm?

Because typically Hollywood uses real firearms with quarter-load blanks as prop guns. You can really tell when an actor who's never fired an actual gun is trying to look like an inert gun-shaped object is going "bang". It looks stupid. So most productions with a halfway decent budget rent real firearms from companies that exist for that exact purpose.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Because typically Hollywood uses real firearms with quarter-load blanks as prop guns.

Overwhelming majority of scenes involving actors who will not fire a gun are rubber guns. Fort example all those cops shows with extras carrying guns on their hips are rubber.

Had a friend who played a cop in Beverly Hills Cop and he was issued a rubber gun and was not an extra, even had lines with Eddie Murphy.

My guess in this movie it was a budget issue and arrogance on part of actor he needed a real gun "to get it right".

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    GZ,

Oh...OK.

Thanks!

Back in the '30s and '40s they'd sometimes use real bullets on-set. There's a scene in "The Public Enemy" where James Cagney takes cover behind the corner of a building as he's being shot at. They used a trick shooter with a real Thompson shooting live rounds to chew up the masonry right behind Cagney.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    There shouldn't have even been blanks in the gun unless the scene requires shooting and if it did the crew wouldn't have been set up like they were.

My understanding is that it was loaded with "dummy rounds" rather than blanks because the camera shot was to be done from the front(ish) and you would be able to see the crimped or wax filled nose of a blank. With dummy loads bullets are seated, but there is no powder, and they have something like #9 shot inside so that they can be tested by the armorer before loading by shaking the round. Also in some cases they have a hole drilled in the side of the case that can be checked by the armorer. Therein lies the liability for whoever loaded that gun. If it was indeed the gal, she is in big trouble.

Baldwin relied on the statement by Hall that it was a cold gun... IMO that does not totally relieve him of responsibility for holding the trigger back and then letting the hammer fly while the firearm was pointed at a living being.

Again, he has liability both as an actor and as a producer that had authority over the set.

Beyond the unsafe conditions, the gal armorer was not present for the rehearsal because Baldwin insisted on doing it while she was on break, which deprived her of the opportunity to double check the safety of the firearm.

Don't ask for links, this is just what I remember reading a long time ago. Links are long gone.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My understanding is that it was loaded with "dummy rounds" rather than blanks because the camera shot was to be done from the front(ish) and you would be able to see the crimped or wax filled nose of a blank. With dummy loads bullets are seated, but there is no powder, and they have something like #9 shot inside so that they can be tested by the armorer before loading by shaking the round. Also in some cases they have a hole drilled in the side of the case that can be checked by the armorer. Therein lies the liability for whoever loaded that gun. If it was indeed the gal, she is in big trouble.

Baldwin relied on the statement by Hall that it was a cold gun... IMO that does not totally relieve him of responsibility for holding the trigger back and then letting the hammer fly while the firearm was pointed at a living being.

Again, he has liability both as an actor and as a producer that had authority over the set.

Beyond the unsafe conditions, the gal armorer was not present for the rehearsal because Baldwin insisted on doing it while she was on break, which deprived her of the opportunity to double check the safety of the firearm.

Don't ask for links, this is just what I remember reading a long time ago. Links are long gone.

Your memory of the matter matches mine.

Also, if I recall, nobody is supposed to handle the firearms on set except the armorer and the actor the gun is handed to. So taking it from the assistant director while the armorer isn't even present and taking his word for it that the gun is "cold"...is more of a demonstration of the lax safety protocols on set. Which Baldwin is responsible for as producer.

Also, it was mentioned several times that crew members would use the "prop" guns for target shooting after hours. So plenty of opportunity there to mix real ammo with dummy rounds.

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    Your memory of the matter matches mine.

Also, if I recall, nobody is supposed to handle the firearms on set except the armorer and the actor the gun is handed to. So taking it from the assistant director while the armorer isn't even present and taking his word for it that the gun is "cold"...is more of a demonstration of the lax safety protocols on set. Which Baldwin is responsible for as producer.

Also, it was mentioned several times that crew members would use the "prop" guns for target shooting after hours. So plenty of opportunity there to mix real ammo with dummy rounds.
    This is my memory of events as well. You know, if this had been any of us we would already be doing our 10 year minimum. I am going to be very curious to see how this ends.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    IIRC, due to low level funding of the movie, Hall was also hired as an asst armorer in addition to being asst director.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    IIRC, due to low level funding of the movie, Hall was also hired as an asst armorer in addition to being asst director.

And we see how well that budget trimming worked...dude picked up a firearm and, without examining it, declared it "cold" before handing it to the dipshit who pulled the trigger on a live round. It's a travesty that Hall appears to be getting away with no penalty for his criminal negligence.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Interesting update...

'Rust' Set Manager Convicted in Alec Baldwin Shooting Case

Halls, an industry-veteran with over 80 credits including "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Crow: Salvation," was the only member of the "Rust" cast and crew to enter a plea bargain. Prosecutors said he approached them and was cooperative.

Baldwin pleaded not guilty to a criminal charge of involuntary manslaughter. The actor said he relied on weapons experts - Gutierrez-Reed and Halls - to ensure the firearm was safe to use.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Top Bottom