• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    My family and I survived hurricane Ike. Any other Houston area survivors? We live in the Spring area adjacent to The Woodlands. We lost two trees, the cap from our chimney, and electrical power. Got power back tonight. For the last two nights, I sat/slept on front porch wearing a Wilson .45 cal Protector to keep spooks and looters away. Must have worked because I didn't see any. Man! Two days in Houston during early Sept with heat, humidity, mosquitoes, and no A/C is enough for me. Guess I'm not as tough as I used to be. I feel for those unfortunate people who may be without power for up to 2 weeks.

Alan: If this message is inappropriate or in the wrong section, my apologies.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Glad you came through alright. I've got old friends from high school I haven't heard from yet (living in Pearland) and I'm hoping its because they got out of town.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Hi Shorts,
    Hope your friends from Pearland are OK. You are from Corpus Christi, right? My wife and I went thru another major hurricane some years ago, Celia in 1971, which just about blew CC off the map. Hope you and your spouse can make it back home to the USA SOON.

ps: When trying to contact people after the hurricane, cell phones may not be working due to either low batteries or cell towers being out of power or damaged. Our cell phones were not supported (no or low service signal) for about 36 hours while power was off.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yup, from CC. Mom and Dad remember Celia pretty well. They were both living in San Pat Co at the time going to school. For Ike, Mom went up to San Antone and Dad headed down to Zapata where he'd been the last week or two for work detail. So, they were both alright. Hopefully someone took care of Murphy, our chinchilla

Sounds like yall will have some firewood by way of those fallen trees. Time to get out the chainsaw! They didn't take out any buildings or cars did they?

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Sounds like yall will have some firewood by way of those fallen trees. Time to get out the chainsaw! They didn't take out any buildings or cars did they?

No, we were lucky. They were both medium size trees and just hit lawn. I cut them up today and stacked the debris along the curb for eventual pick up. Other friends and neighbors weren't so lucky. Several homes nearby have trees fallen onto them with smashed roofs and worse.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    we were in angleton, luckily my dad's home was ok. we had power throughout the whole storm,. when the neighborhood power went out, my dad has solar panels/wind propellers so we had backup power til morning, then we hooked up the generator. power was back on by that afternoon.

few pics of damages in anlgeton, a lot of trees looked like this, few on people's homes...
    684e37.jpg

nmm92s.jpg

our balcony in memorial heights, good thing we didnt stay home,. also few cars got owned by trees in our complex.
    zvqt1s.jpg

been eating this since friday, my mom made a new batch everyday. YUM!
    ztg7t0.jpg

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    been eating this since friday, my mom made a new batch everyday. YUM!
    ztg7t0.jpg

Hahah! Is that Adobo!! HMMMM!! YUMMY!!! Yea, the Filipino restaurant down the street from us was open until power went out. So I had to get a good meal in before the storm.

Most of Southwest Houston is still without power and we had three houses and a hospital to worry about. Luckily, everything was ok. It could have been worse. Our house on the Southwest side had the whole backyard fence blown out and leaks in the roof. House in Sugarland just had shingles blown off and leak in the master bedroom. Both houses are still without power. Our Katy home went through it ok along with the hospital (where we stayed for 24hrs and I was awake for 68hrs w/ 2hrs worth of cat naps due to being part of the Incident Command) had a few windows leaking and multiple trees blown down. I'll have videos uploaded and posted sometime today to show the before, during, and after of the hospital.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My parents are in Sugar Land, their house is fine. They have a beach house by Jamaica Beach, no sea wall, and it is still there. We can't tell how damaged it is, it appears the deck is pretty bad and the stairs are gone. I told them to take a ladder when they are able to get on the island.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Last I checked, there's still no power in Sugarland on HWY6 between W. Airport and Bellaire. Have they recently regained power?

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    We got lucky in Frisco, Tx, (N. of Dallas) mostly because we are far enough away from the storm path and because of the clockwise motion of the storm sent it to the N.E. All we got was a pleasantly cooling breeze and a nice soft rain. We have relatives in E. Texas around Longview that still have no power. They just went out and bought a $1,600.00 generator. They consider themselves lucky because their home is surrounded by huge pines and none fell on their roof.
    Hope you guys on the coast get your life back in order quickly. Hang in there!!!

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Hurricanes, like other low pressure areas, rotate/spin in Counter Clockwise direction in our hemisphere. This causes them to veer towards the right when they get over land.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I live in the Cypress area, and we fared very well. No power for 12 hours, a couple downed trees, fences, etc., but nothing major. Several neighbors lost roof shingles and got some water in their houses from the 5 inches of rain we got on Saturday after the hurricane had passed. That's the worst of it in our area.

Counting our blessings...

-Pete

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    ooops!!

Hurricanes, like other low pressure areas, rotate/spin in Counter Clockwise direction in our hemisphere. This causes them to veer towards the right when they get over land.

Your right. I should have said Counter Clockwise.
    I blame it on all those digital clocks that's got me all screwed up!! :confused:

CC Sig-girl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a sister and disabled uncle in Houston. I heard from her saturday night, she borrowed a stranger's phone to call and tell me she was alright but I haven't heard from her since. Can anyone tell me if the power is back on around 249 and beltway 8 area. She lives off of 249 and Antoine. I don't know if she can get out to get help or supplies. Her uncle can't leave the house and she really shouldn't leave him alone. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the power was back on it that area. Thanks K

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    shiloh is sort of close to that area and they got power today. i also have friends and family that are close to that area, they are actually just 2 streets up off N gessner and they have power. so if she doesnt have power now it will be soon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    I'm in Katy. We got thru okay with just a downed fence. No real power loss to speak of. We were able to watch the news on TV thru the whole thing. My brother in The Woodlands faired alright, but lost power today. My Mother in Spring lost power and is still out. We were all very lucky. Thanx for the pics! Sorry about ya'll's damage.:(:(

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Good to hear we have not lost any forum members.My sister is in Houston with Red Cross helping out and I have not heard from her so I can only imagine how busy she is.She told me that she might not be able to contact me for a few days so I am not worried as she is with a good group of people who take care of each other.

Top Bottom