• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    .....but after searching my tail end off, maybe I am mistaken. I swore I read where it is legal to carry a fire arm on you in your vehicle without a CHL. I cannot find where I read that so, did I misread something?

Can you carry on your person in your vehicle without a CHL?

I searched to the best of my abilities. I read TX Investigators blog(s), searched Google, etc... and have found nothing that says it is legal to carry a firearm on you while in your vehicle. This all stems from a conversation that occurred at work. FWIW a CHL is in my future.

On a side note, can you carry on a bicycle without a CHL?

Thanks for any answers,

Craig
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yes, you can carry on your person in your motor vehicle without a CHL. You can have a handgun anywhere in your vehicle as long as it is concealed.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    (2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    the only problem is as soon as a leo asked you to step out of your car and the gun is still on you it becomes a crime. if you are stopped tell the cop you have your gun on you and you would like to remove it from your persons. it is his choice if he wants you to remove it or step out and he removes it for himself. either was it is much simpler to carry the gun in a glove box or somewhere like that.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Its legal just don't keep it on your person so there is no possibility that you'll step out of the vehicle and have it on you, keep it in the center console, or between the seats.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yes on the 'In your car'

dontt hink so on the bicycle, but that would be sweeeeeeet

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    I agree with Majormax, I have a tree farm and make deliveries alllll over the state, we mostly run the trucks at night..cooler weather, I always carry, but after getting into an argument over right to carry with a selma cop, I decided that just get the chl and then dont have to worry at all about any of it!!

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    Thanks again for the input. The CHL is a priority and plan to have it ASAP, the question just comes from a conversation at work. I don't want carrying to be an issue, and I have no desire to get into a pissing contest with an LEO over the legality of the whole thing.

Craig

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    a while back it cost me an afternoon in jail and 750 in court cost to prove I was right, officer hembry from selma, I got a special place in my heart for you ;)

Top Bottom