Target Sports

I swore I'd never buy another diesel ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Did someone say diesel? Just picked this up on Sunday...

1603292548551.png

2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI, <50K mi. on it, no DEF. Achtung, baby!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have had a great career out of being around diesel engines of all sorts over the years. Seen lots of fantastic changes to them as well.

That being said, personally, I wouldn't own another one. I have no need for one. They serve a purpose for what they are designed to do, but in many ways, we see lots of people driving diesel trucks that never ever even use them for their intended purposes. Seems like a huge waste of money.

Adding the option of going diesel when buying new just seems rather ill advised unless you use the truck for it's intended usage for a diesel equipped vehicle. Price comparison of two identical trucks. One with the diesel engine and the other with a gasoline engine.

Over $9000 to say you own a diesel!

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    I have had a great career out of being around diesel engines of all sorts over the years. Seen lots of fantastic changes to them as well.

That being said, personally, I wouldn't own another one. I have no need for one. They serve a purpose for what they are designed to do, but in many ways, we see lots of people driving diesel trucks that never ever even use them for their intended purposes. Seems like a huge waste of money.

Adding the option of going diesel when buying new just seems rather ill advised unless you use the truck for it's intended usage for a diesel equipped vehicle. Price comparison of two identical trucks. One with the diesel engine and the other with a gasoline engine.

Over $9000 to say you own a diesel!
    Lots of us own all kinds of shit that is never used as intended. It’s a personal choice and no one should judge another person if they don’t know their whole life story.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I use my diesel to pull a 28 foot gooseneck about 5 percent of the time. The other 95 percent I use it to piss off liberals around Austin. It is not my daily driver though.

Eventually I plan to use it to tow a 25 foot RV.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lots of us own all kinds of shit that is never used as intended. It’s a personal choice and no one should judge another person if they don’t know their whole life story.

Mac, you are reading more into what I posted. I'm simply stating an opinion from a personal viewpoint and perspective. I wasn't judging anyone by any means.

What other people spend their money on is none of my business, nor do I care what other people do as long as it has no bearing or influence on my business.

I also won't ever own another boat, ATV, motorcycle, RV or camper again. That's a personal choice as well for me.

Francis.jpeg

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Mac, you are reading more into what I posted. I'm simply stating an opinion from a personal viewpoint and perspective. I wasn't judging anyone by any means.

What other people spend their money on is none of my business, nor do I care what other people do as long as it has no bearing or influence on my business.

I also won't ever own another boat, ATV, motorcycle, RV or camper again. That's a personal choice as well for me.

View attachment 231349

I feel so judged!!

Now I’m triggered!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    So far, I'm pleased.

Coolant runs about 180 in 60* temps
    Trans about 130* unloaded
    And the lie-o-meter tells me I'm averaging almost 19mpg on the trip from SA to FW @ 75 bucking a north wind late last week.

Has a few nuisance issues:
    - small leak at the hydro-boost master cylinder. It's PS fluid. Not dripping, just wet.
    - get a low voltage/comm code for the transmission on occasion. Usually clears itself. Research says corrosion or a bent pin at the ecm connector.
    - mirror selector is intermittent
    - has a rattle that I hear and feel in the steering wheel. Need to look at the hubs, ball joints and A-Arm bushings. I see no tire wear.

I'm sure more things will pop up on a 16 year old truck.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So far, I'm pleased.

Coolant runs about 180 in 60* temps
    Trans about 130* unloaded
    And the lie-o-meter tells me I'm averaging almost 19mpg on the trip from SA to FW @ 75 bucking a north wind late last week.

Has a few nuisance issues:
    - small leak at the hydro-boost master cylinder. It's PS fluid. Not dripping, just wet.
    - get a low voltage/comm code for the transmission on occasion. Usually clears itself. Research says corrosion or a bent pin at the ecm connector.
    - mirror selector is intermittent
    - has a rattle that I hear and feel in the steering wheel. Need to look at the hubs, ball joints and A-Arm bushings. I see no tire wear.

I'm sure more things will pop up on a 16 year old truck.

That rattle in the steering may be the universal joint on the steering shaft. It's not a safety issue, but I think it may still be covered by a recall. You might see if it's covered, and be able to get it fixed or replaced free of charge.

The mirror selector could be a defective switch, or even possibly may need the BCM (Body Control Module) software updated as well.

Might also have the O-rings checked on the Hydro-Boost assembly. If that is the issue, replace all of them. they are all at least the same age more than likely.

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Might also have the O-rings checked on the Hydro-Boost assembly. If that is the issue, replace all of them. they are all at least the same age more than likely.

I've tried to clean up the area in order to isolate where the weep is coming from.
    Previous owner changed the hoses in an attempt to fix it.

I'll put a wrench on the lines to make sure they are snug.
    The leak isn't enough to leave a drip on the garage floor, it's just wet on the unit under and behind the MC reservoir.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've tried to clean up the area in order to isolate where the weep is coming from.
    Previous owner changed the hoses in an attempt to fix it.

I'll put a wrench on the lines to make sure they are snug.
    The leak isn't enough to leave a drip on the garage floor, it's just wet on the unit under and behind the MC reservoir.

Might check to make sure he didn't cross-thread a line or cut an O-ring.

Top Bottom