• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I dont understand your point. Im not disagreeing with all of your points. Find friends, ranges and gun shops where you dont run into the rhetoric if you dont like it. I dont go to this creepy local shop with Nazi stuff and terrible customer service.

Its a big sport/hobby/lifestyle, find your niche and dont demand or opine how everyone should participate in it as you see fit. I dont like how hunting is here in Texas, pay big money to hunt if you dont have land, so I dont currently hunt.

We are in a fight for our rights whether you want to talk about it on forums or at the shop or range or not.

Our side hasnt made things ugly, theirs has.

I read the "being yoked..." reply as if you though I said you should go along with the things you do not believe in just to be polite and to sacrifice your standards. That is not what it should have sounded as.

Ok. Perhaps I read your reply incorrectly and misunderstood what you were saying? If that's the case, my mistake and my apologies.
    Military Camp

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    I do t think it is the fact that politics are involved, but how some go about it. I have taken myself out of certain aspects of that conversation also.

Bingo.

Some of the stuff gun owners say (and do) embarasses the hell out of me. On one hand preaching the doctrine of the founding father and on the other throwing people who stand up for what the founders believed in under the bus.

I guess i find comfort in biking because the worst that it gets is someone has a nicer drivetrain then me. We just ride.

It is what it is I guess.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Some of the stuff gun owners say (and do) embarasses the hell out of me. On one hand preaching the doctrine of the founding father and on the other throwing people who stand up for what the founders believed in under the bus.

You've mentioned this twice. What do you mean by this or give an example please.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    You've mentioned this twice. What do you mean by this or give an example please.

I guess if anything, what i see as a relatively new gun owner is a group of people easily frightened and put into a panic. I guess i got a bad taste in my mouth for the whole "gun culture" after Newtown when the masses ran around like scared girls paying $120 for a pmag and bleeding the market dry of ammo for over 1/2 a year.

I don't see other groups out there doing this when they're "rights" are threatened. I'm tired and a cynic, what can I say? :)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I guess if anything, what i see as a relatively new gun owner is a group of people easily frightened and put into a panic. I guess i got a bad taste in my mouth for the whole "gun culture" after Newtown when the masses ran around like scared girls paying $120 for a pmag and bleeding the market dry of ammo for over 1/2 a year.

I don't see other groups out there doing this when they're "rights" are threatened. I'm tired and a cynic, what can I say? :)

Ah, I see. Well, I have to say that my friends that are into guns weren't part of the panic and neither was I and in fact I think that those folks aren't even really part of the gun culture, or at least not my corner of it.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope you find a way to keep enjoying guns, shooting and the fellowship that comes with both.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Which "other groups" are your talking about? How many other groups are in a position that's in any way similar to gun owners?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Other rights are incomparable to the right of life and the right to have the tools necessary to defend it. Literally all other rights are secured or LOST based on the success or failure of that one natural human right.

What concerns a lot of people is the fact that, within the past century, in every example in which a society has significantly restricted civilian ownership of firearms, in most cases it is followed by national registration, confiscation to some degree (not necessarily everything, but at least significant percentages), and then a significantly faster increase in destruction of civil liberties. In most cases, those rights NEVER return, and the guns are gone for good for the law-abiding citizens. In extreme cases, it has been the precursor to genocide (Nazi Germany, Stalinist USSR, Mao Tse Tung's China, Armenian genocide, etc.). In more civilized societies like the UK and Australia, it ultimately leads to an increasing crime rate and citizens subjected to an ever increasing level of violence from criminals, ultimately leading to a more dangerous society.

All told, some 100-140+ million human beings have died within the past century through direct or indirect means of oppressive and tyrannical governments, and in every situation, civilian possession of firearms was either severely restricted or completely prohibited. The classic form of tyranny like that would never happen here in America, but that doesn't change the fact that NO good whatsoever can come from gun control. It can only lead to more crime, and a greater number of Americans being subjected to an ever increasing degree of violence from criminals. So naturally, people tend to get a bit freaked out when it appears the deck is once again stacked against them.

Sorry about the OT stuff, as I guess we're (myself included) now talking about the same sort of stuff that burns us all out in this community. It's too easy to do, as we're inundated with it all day long and from every avenue. From the news, newspaper, social media, podcasts, radio on your drive to work, modern liberal or millennial (different from classic liberal, look it up) co-workers that are ill-informed. It all gets to be a bit much. It's been tough for me too. The only thing I can tell you is, try to refocus that energy towards being really good at something. Take more and more of that time spent on Facebook or wherever else you're getting surrounded by the negativity from, and put it into practicing and excelling at something you really enjoy. Do that, and there won't be time for much else.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Which "other groups" are your talking about? How many other groups are in a position that's in any way similar to gun owners?

Gays, illegals, baby murderers, the free shit army. We're talking hardcore people who won't sit idly by when it comes to what they want and demand. And what they want aren't even God-Given rights!

Look what happened when they thought twinkles would be gone forever:p

totally. it was pandamonium! :D

Other rights are incomparable to the right of life and the right to have the tools necessary to defend it. Literally all other rights are secured or LOST based on the success or failure of that one natural human right.

What concerns a lot of people is the fact that, within the past century, in every example in which a society has significantly restricted civilian ownership of firearms, in most cases it is followed by national registration, confiscation to some degree (not necessarily everything, but at least significant percentages), and then a significantly faster increase in destruction of civil liberties. In most cases, those rights NEVER return, and the guns are gone for good for the law-abiding citizens. In extreme cases, it has been the precursor to genocide (Nazi Germany, Stalinist USSR, Mao Tse Tung's China, Armenian genocide, etc.). In more civilized societies like the UK and Australia, it ultimately leads to an increasing crime rate and citizens subjected to an ever increasing level of violence from criminals, ultimately leading to a more dangerous society.

All told, some 100-140+ million human beings have died within the past century through direct or indirect means of oppressive and tyrannical governments, and in every situation, civilian possession of firearms was either severely restricted or completely prohibited. The classic form of tyranny like that would never happen here in America, but that doesn't change the fact that NO good whatsoever can come from gun control. It can only lead to more crime, and a greater number of Americans being subjected to an ever increasing degree of violence from criminals. So naturally, people tend to get a bit freaked out when it appears the deck is once again stacked against them.

Sorry about the OT stuff, as I guess we're (myself included) now talking about the same sort of stuff that burns us all out in this community. It's too easy to do, as we're inundated with it all day long and from every avenue. From the news, newspaper, social media, podcasts, radio on your drive to work, modern liberal or millennial (different from classic liberal, look it up) co-workers that are ill-informed. It all gets to be a bit much. It's been tough for me too. The only thing I can tell you is, try to refocus that energy towards being really good at something. Take more and more of that time spent on Facebook or wherever else you're getting surrounded by the negativity from, and put it into practicing and excelling at something you really enjoy. Do that, and there won't be time for much else.

I know the history, and understand all that...but when i see what's going on today, i cannot help but be reminded of this little essay:
    Walter Mitty's Second Amendment by Jeff Snyder

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Don't let the fringe minority define the majority for you. I've found most gun owners to be balanced, pragmatic people. Sure there are the loopies in our ranks but I can't think of any passionate undertaking that doesn't have its fair share of extremists that are conveniently used to paint a negative picture of the whole. As many people have suggested, rather than take a break from the sport find a group that shares your ideal view of what guns and gun ownership should mean. Being new to guns is tough especially if you didn't grow up in a family structure that promoted its enjoyment. It can be overwhelming if you pay attention to a biased media or had the unfortunate experience of being around the kooks but the truth is far from the stereotype.

In the end it's up to you. I personally hate seeing new shooters leave the sport and I sincerely hope you find a group that will rekindle the fun of it all.

BTW, the Walter Mitty article is an interesting read but far too defeatist a viewpoint for me.

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    i work with a guy who heads up a huge 3 gun match in the austin area. he's invited me out a few times. I have never competed with guns so i am a little "nervous" about sucking at it.
    The monthly match at Best of the West is not huge, but we do draw about 400 shooters for the big annual match in April. If that is the match, a bunch of us know the "guy"

Just be safe. Do not be afraid of sucking, there are enough of us who suck, you will not be alone. Have an AR and semi-auto pistol, holster, and a few magazines, and know their basic operation, no problem. The 3rd Saturday match at Best of the West is 3-gun, but we have a 2-gun division for those without shotgun. No excuses.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    The monthly match at Best of the West is not huge, but we do draw about 400 shooters for the big annual match in April. If that is the match, a bunch of us know the "guy"

Just be safe. Do not be afraid of sucking, there are enough of us who suck, you will not be alone. Have an AR and semi-auto pistol, holster, and a few magazines, and know their basic operation, no problem. The 3rd Saturday match at Best of the West is 3-gun, but we have a 2-gun division for those without shotgun. No excuses.
    Hell I think my first time I was 40ish out of 65. I've gotten better and even had my first DQ this summer. It's a blast and after a while you learn who not to hang out with (Nice about wide areas). Hell I've met some really good guys out there shooting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Punching paper at an indoor range is for the birds. Find someone with a deer lease and bring crates of rotten fruit and water jugs.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Punching paper at an indoor range is for the birds. Find someone with a deer lease and bring crates of rotten fruit and water jugs.

i know some people who have property. its just a case of them giving me the OK to go on their land.

Missing public land right now...

Top Bottom