• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    I moved out here in May - and have been shooting... 2 times.

Do i need a break from the drama, idiocy, hypocrisy and craze around the topic of guns?

In late May I discovered mt. biking out here and thats keeping me busy, tired and stimulated. I find i am not dealing with chest thumpers and people who talk outa both sides of their mouth, we just ride.

I guess working in the gun industry for so long, training non stop, the constant stress of "getting it while i can" has burnt me out.

Now, if i knew people out here who do more then just stand still and hit paper, i may find myself shooting more.

just thinkin' here...
    Guns International

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    To each his own. Shooting for me is just as much recreation and a means to relax as it is useful training. My suggestion is not to get so caught up trying to "prepare for the worst" and just enjoy the sport. Along the way you will strike a balance between learning to shoot for defense and just shooting for the sheer joy of it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    ^ yep.
    It's as much about being active and company as anything for me.
    Much more relaxing than golf. I do hear ya on the chest thumping though.
    It's not limited to shooting and few activities are immune from it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Stewie, I get it. Same shtuff, different day gets old. Keep getting out and riding. Clear your mind. Everyone should have diverse hobbies and escapes when the stress of life needs to be relieved. I work out too. Enjoy going out on trail runs and escaping from the crap of everyday stuff. Especially if you are working in the industry. It gets old. Everyone needs a vacation and/or break.

Take the time you need for yourself on a daily or weekly basis. Stay in the stir pot constantly makes for jaded grump butts who lose sight of the big picture. It how a person stays healthy and level.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I didn't pull a trigger for five years after getting out of the Army.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Stewie,

Glad you stopped back in to touch bases!

The shooting sports are filled with opportunities! I branched out into reloading, rifle matches at 200-600 yards, bullet casting, shot shell loading, trap, pistol target shooting, went from bullseye to combat and back to bullseye pistol shooting. I get tired of one aspect of our sports, lay that down and move on to another.

Just a hint. Blasting away at combat silhouette targets is deadly boring. Turn the target around backwards and put a 1" black sticker on the back. When you can put all of your rounds in that 1" dot, then move the target back some. Keep challenging yourself!

Try offhand (standing) rifle shooting or shoot bug holes from a bench. Read the wind, brew up the loads and keep improving.

I did what you are doing. In 2011, I rode bicycles 3,414 miles and logged my progress in the TGT forum. The only thing that accomplished was totally breaking my real end parts! By golly, I'm still not totally healed up! Remember, the Human body is geared to moderation. Excess in anything is dangerous!

Flash

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I don't consider myself burnt out, rather bored with shooting paper.

I work WAY too much cooped up in a sea of cubicles listening to the man drone on and on using scripted corporate prose in a lame effort to "engage" me.

So I have been searching for a lease or a piece of property that I can get away from all the BS. Shoot if I want, ride if I want, sleep if I want ...

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    What got me back into shooting was cowboy action shooting. It's just fun. I have a shit eating grin on my face the whole day.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Stewie, I get it. Same shtuff, different day gets old. Keep getting out and riding. Clear your mind. Everyone should have diverse hobbies and escapes when the stress of life needs to be relieved. I work out too. Enjoy going out on trail runs and escaping from the crap of everyday stuff. Especially if you are working in the industry. It gets old. Everyone needs a vacation and/or break.

Take the time you need for yourself on a daily or weekly basis. Stay in the stir pot constantly makes for jaded grump butts who lose sight of the big picture. It how a person stays healthy and level.

Yeah. the trails help me relax a whole hell of a lot. If i dont do that i get home from work grumpy and tired. I still do dry practice and airsoft in my garage, but in terms of live fire, i have zero desire to do it - even though i should!!!!

I didn't pull a trigger for five years after getting out of the Army.

I am totally thinkin of taking a year off from it.

I was indeed burnt out, especially with the emotion and all surrounding "the 2a" and all the crap going on.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know the feeling Stewie. The egos, drama, etc. in this industry get to be a bit much. What helped me was realizing that all of that is a completely separate thing from shooting. You don't have to have one if you have the other. It just takes some effort to learn to tune out all of the other stuff and focus on SHOOTING. I try to look at it from the perspective of, how can I better myself and how can I improve my proficiency/performance? The rest is all nonsense to try and tune out. There's not really an easier way to say it so I'll just say it. You don't have to look hard in this industry to find a limitless amount of bullshit, enough to drive a person insane. The trick is to learn to stop looking and stop caring about all of that nonsense. Easier said than done of course.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    What Sig said is true. You can still be in the business, Without being the business. Everything else is just that, everything else.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    meh you found a new girl friend and she is lots of fun but in a few months you will want to go back to the wife :)

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Have you tried any competition stuff Stewie? There's one almost every weekend between several ranges in the area. I just had my first 3 gun match yesterday and it was really fun, even more so than IDPA (honestly I get caught up in worrying about stage execution more with IDPA although I still find it quite fun and very informative). Everyone was really nice, hardly any chest thumping, more "What all you got on your rifle/shotgun?" and "What kind of pistol is that?" (sort of like show and tell but nobody shoving their awesome rifles into others faces saying I'm better because I spent 3 grand and you didn't). We ended up having to scramble to get the match started as the organizer's wife was going into labor and he had the key to the locker with all the paper target stands. We made the most of it by putting together an all steel match which was too cool to even describe. One of the Austin PD guys out there even lent me his nice autloader shotty for 3 stages (now I'm going to have to save up for one lol).

Now if thats not what you call a fun time with little drama I don't know what is.

gcarrillo004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Atascocita, Texas
    ....lol...think we are secretly want a shtf just to see if we can challenge ourselves in that environment...the only problem is that you can't undo it, hit pause, or start over.....to much TV and news..

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Have you tried any competition stuff Stewie? There's one almost every weekend between several ranges in the area. I just had my first 3 gun match yesterday and it was really fun, even more so than IDPA (honestly I get caught up in worrying about stage execution more with IDPA although I still find it quite fun and very informative). Everyone was really nice, hardly any chest thumping, more "What all you got on your rifle/shotgun?" and "What kind of pistol is that?" (sort of like show and tell but nobody shoving their awesome rifles into others faces saying I'm better because I spent 3 grand and you didn't). We ended up having to scramble to get the match started as the organizer's wife was going into labor and he had the key to the locker with all the paper target stands. We made the most of it by putting together an all steel match which was too cool to even describe. One of the Austin PD guys out there even lent me his nice autloader shotty for 3 stages (now I'm going to have to save up for one lol).

Now if thats not what you call a fun time with little drama I don't know what is.

i work with a guy who heads up a huge 3 gun match in the austin area. he's invited me out a few times. I have never competed with guns so i am a little "nervous" about sucking at it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    i work with a guy who heads up a huge 3 gun match in the austin area. he's invited me out a few times. I have never competed with guns so i am a little "nervous" about sucking at it.

Everyone has a case of the nerves the first few times, and we all suck at it at first. After a few times of going, that starts to wear off a bit and become much more natural, and something you are much more comfortable with. Usually these groups are full of fellow enthusiasts that are just there to have a great time and be around other people that like that same basic stuff. There are also usually lots of people in these groups that are more than willing to help you get started, help give you a basic rundown of what you need, how to get started, what to do at the match, etc.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I find that chest thumping hyper masculine mentality in most any hobby. Stop by the local race track, golf course, RC club or bowling alley and youll find the same. Surprised you havent seen that with the cyclists crowd as well.

Just got to find the well adjusted folks who dont have their egos tied up in possessions or their "image".

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Problem really is a lot of guys dont put themselves in position to have their ego checked. I know who i am, what i can and cannot do and im willing to be humble enough to learn from those with more experience and skills than I.

Top Bottom