Texas SOT

I think I want to buy a handgun, not sure what route.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I've decided on a handgun for storage size restrictions. I'd like to spend under $500, depending on what the gun is. For a long time the G17 was my dream gun, so I'd possibly spend a bit more for something like that or a G19. Even thought about the G42 for how slim it was and add a magazine extension.

Quick note, I'm worried about the gun fitting my hands too, as my hands are on the big side. I'm also wondering if I will have the ability to be ambidextrous. Cheap magazines are nice too. I'm also a bit picky on gun colors and looks.

I've though about getting a .22 (ruger 22/45) because it's quite cheaper and the ammo is far cheaper. But it's limited to plinking. I do like the look of .357 revolvers but cost is bad in both departments. Though about a Taurus Judge Public Defender, but don't know how bit it actually is and ammo is a bit $$. I've taken a liking to 9mm as it's bigger then .22 and on the cheaper side to shoot, but has more uses then .22.

Quick list of guns I've considered over time.
    ruger 22/45
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger LC9s
    Glock 17
    Glock 19
    CZ 75
    CZ P09
    CZ P07
    Sig 2022
    Sig P250
    SCCY CPX-2
    S&W SD9VE
    S&W M&P 9mm
    Taurus Public Defender
    Taurus Model 85 polymer
    Taurus Model 85 Ultralite

Just in case someone has something to say about these guns to me. I don't know if I should go with a cheaper options like a .22 plinker and only doing that with it, or getting something bigger, not necessarily more expensive, that can still plink, but be used for future concealed carry/home defense. I don't know how far I will get into guns.

Thanks,
    Higgins909, Sorry for the blob of text.
    Lynx Defense

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    I prefer .45 ACP myself, but you are correct in that 9mm is very inexpensive, relatively speaking. .357 Mag adds up in a hurry. Going the economy route, The S&Ws on the list are not bad, but don't have the greatest triggers. My wife has the SD9VE and it feels fine, but needed an Apex trigger to improve it. She also has the striker version of the Sig P250 (P320), which fits my hands nicely and is fun to shoot. I am 6'6" and have large hands. I might also suggest that you add a Walther to the list. The Creed is a very nice DA/SA pistol with a good feel and the PPS M2 is a really great carry gun. The wife also has both of them.

Look on Gunbroker and be patient. You can find some great deals with a little diligence. Most recently, I bought an FNX-45 for $482.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The Taurus Judge is all hype.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a .22. You will spend a lot more time getting trigger time in for a fraction of the cost and all of it will translate to more effective shooting when you get a bigger caliber.

And I am pretty sure no one who has been shot with a .22 in a defensive shooting has responded with "Motherfu€ker, you just shot me with a .22, imawhipyourass!"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Go to the range and shoot all the guns you've been considering and anything else you can. Nobody here can tell you what gun will work best for you and personal preferences are exactly that.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I bet half the guns on your list will be at the Family Reunion meet in October. It will be worth your time to attend.

Get involved in the threads for the meet and ask if somebody has something in particular you want to try.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You may be able to find a used Ruger Security Six (.357) for under $500. Built like a tank.

Remington has had its 1911 on sale for $400 after rebate. A pretty solid 1911 in an excellent caliber.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I bet half the guns on your list will be at the Family Reunion meet in October. It will be worth your time to attend.

Get involved in the threads for the meet and ask if somebody has something in particular you want to try.
    This ^. And be aware that you should not fret too much over the 1st one - because the 2nd & 3rd one will follow shortly.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Unless you are among the Glock haters, a G19 is a pretty good option. The new Gen 5 comes without finger groves which makes it a bit better for smaller hands. Mags are inexpensive too. A bit over $ 500 though. I recently picked one up for $565 out the door which included tax. You can find online at many sellers for $559 and there probably wouldn't be tax, but you'd need to have it transferred through an ffl which will run anywhere from $10 to $30.

If you're leaning towards a smaller gun, a G43 is great as is the M&P Shield. The Shield will be less expensive. There are others, but I have no direct experience with them so I'll not comment.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    As Younggun said, there are many ranges that will let you rent a gun to try out. Find one that fits you, better than to wish you would have gotten something else later.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Lots of good reviews for a Canik TP9SF, $300-ish brand new.

I've got one incoming, should be here today.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Taurus makes some good, inexpensive handguns. I have three that I have been impressed with.

That said, the fact that there are no Springfields on your list makes it incomplete. As suggested, you might find a good used XD in your price range. If you're really lucky, maybe even a GI 1911 close to that.

For self-defense .45ACP or 9mm are the better options, but obviously ammo is more expensive. I love shooting .22 as it is easy, cheap and fun; but it's effectiveness as a self-defense round could be questionable. Obviously many people have been killed by it, but that's more due to it's abundance. While better than nothing, I am not sure I would trust my life or the lives of my loved ones to a rimfire handgun...

Cheers! M2

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Taurus makes some good, inexpensive handguns. I have three that I have been impressed with.

That said, the fact that there are no Springfields on your list makes it incomplete. As suggested, you might find a good used XD in your price range. If you're really lucky, maybe even a GI 1911 close to that.

For self-defense .45ACP or 9mm are the better options, but obviously ammo is more expensive. I love shooting .22 as it is easy, cheap and fun; but it's effectiveness as a self-defense round could be questionable. Obviously many people have been killed by it, but that's more due to it's abundance. While better than nothing, I am not sure I would trust my life or the lives of my loved ones to a rimfire handgun...

Cheers! M2

You forgot to mention .40.
    I'm sure it was just an oversight....

:green:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Lots of good reviews for a Canik TP9SF, $300-ish brand new.

I've got one incoming, should be here today.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

You going to the reunion in October? I really want to shoot it before I pull the trigger on buying another gun. May sell my G43 and use the money to pick up a Canik now that I have the shield.

seven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    north tx
    Look into a Sig SP2022
    They are great guns and can be had with a large grip. Price wise ...they meet your criteria.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I suggest getting behind the trigger of some of those guns before you make a decision. That will let you get a feel for the guns. Some might fit you well, some might not. With the Glocks, I highly recommend you do this. Not everyone likes the grip. They don't fit my hand that well.

If a Glock is your dream gun, get a hold of one, see how it fits you, and get it if you like it. They are close to your price range. Most gun shops should have the 17, or some of the Glock variants in stock. Ask them to let you hold it so you can see how they fit your hand.

After that, pick your poison. ;)

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog..._21_43/products_id/22215/Glock+G17C+Semi+Auto

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog.../GLOCK+17+9MM+GEN4+FRONT+GLOPRO+17+RD+USA+MFG

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    You going to the reunion in October? I really want to shoot it before I pull the trigger on buying another gun. May sell my G43 and use the money to pick up a Canik now that I have the shield.

I'm 99% sure that I'm going to it

Look into a Sig SP2022
    They are great guns and can be had with a large grip. Price wise ...they meet your criteria.

Really under-rated handgun IMHO.
    Had one and sold it to a buddy before I moved to Dallas.

My have to pick another one up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Went to Academy Sports about a hour ago. Seen the handguns and it's something different seeing them in person. Looking though the glass I saw a G17 and a G43 and though they looked about the same size. The guns that caught my eyes were the M&P shield 9mm, G17, Sig 2022 9mm. Was also kinda strange that they kept their ammo unlocked. I wanna say walmart locks em up. I don't know what gen the G17 was, as I couldn't read the little card that well, but it was right around $450 if I remember right. So was the Sig 2022! (SP2022? idk) I did notice around Friday that they did put a call for price in the price area, for those two guns. On the website. I didn't see a 22/45 on display, but saw a Browning Buck Mark and a .22 Browning 1911 that I can't find on their website. Looked like a piece of art, but couldn't see me paying that much for it.

I'm thinking about going back tomorrow after work since it's near and at least getting to talk to the guy behind the counter (he was dealing with a customer)

Top Bottom