• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I am just sick of hearing people who say they are "disabled." I'm serioius. Cut off both my arms, and I'll figure a way to support my family. Tear out my eyes, I'll figure out a way to make a paycheck without em.

Pretty much everyone in the ER doesn't work. . . unless they are dying. Everyone else is at work. I've never seen anyone who benefit from being considered "disabled" and put on the public dole. It makes them not have to work, but it doesn't make their lives better.

We are heading towards the toilet as a country.
    Hurley's Gold

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Nah, I'd say you lose a limb or eye or something you are indeed disabled.

The problem is lack of spirit. I knew a guy with one leg who mowed his own lawn, one push at a time, move the crutches, next push and on and on. He rode his bike around town and was always willing to help anyone.

So many people drawing disability and social security for disability aren't disabled, they are mentally, emotionally and spiritually hobbled.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Yeah. Just don't call this guy disabled. SF_one_legged_operator.jpg

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I think I was 18 or so, but it might have been younger, but my parents thought for some reason it would be a good idea for me to apply for SSI disability benefits. Thinking back they were probably just looking out for me and had no idea what the future held as far as working. Either way, I went thru the whole process of paperwork and interviews only to be denied. In retrospect, it was probably a good thing. From that day on I never looked back and just worked whatever job I could get.

I am not against disability benefits across the board, but I do agree it is out of control what and to whom, WE the taxpayers pay out for and to.
    From what I understand there is no definition as far as the government is concerned as what "being disabled" exactly is.
    Also, when one is denied and they hire a lawyer and go in front of a judge, There is no one from the government arguing against your case. It is up to the judge to be both the representative of .gov and be an impartial party. Sounds a bit screwy, personally.

My father once said to me that there were going to be times in my life were I would need to give 110% when everyone else was fine giving 100. And he was right. Sometimes being disabled slows you down, or causes you to pause and rethink how you do things and that means you are going to need to put forth a bigger effort for many things, but it's what it is and many people out there, doing nothing and just collecting benefits think just the opposite of that. They believe they are to be catered to just because they have given up trying. That's just a sad state of mind to live your whole life in.

I'm not one of those handicap cheerleaders, sitting here saying," it's no big deal" & "you can still do anything you want!!" Hell, sometimes it sucks, but you get over it, under it or around it or you just lay there and let it beat the hell out of you till you give up and die.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyway. :laughing:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Some people are disabled. My wife had a car wreck in 1996 that left her in a coma for 3 weeks. She had a closed head wound which affects balance, 40% cut field vision in her right eye. Mentally she lost that control valve on things like temper, has short term memory loss, and a bunch more. She was a Professor of Photography. Can't even work something like a cash register or anything. No one would hire her because of the potential liability. She should be in a wheel chair but stubbornly clings to her rolling walker like the TEA party clings to its guns and religion.

So don't paint with too broad a brush.

ETA: I have a 70% disabled rating from the VA because your government (I say your government because mine would not have done that) poisoned me with Agent Orange in the drinking water in Vietnam. I don't consider myself disabled. I know my limitations and as my BIL said, if they are dumb enough to offer it, be smart enough to take it. Oh yeah, I go on Social Security next year, but that is not a hand out. I paid in for over 50 years. I still work and will continue to do so.

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I am just sick of hearing people who say they are "disabled." I'm serioius. Cut off both my arms, and I'll figure a way to support my family. Tear out my eyes, I'll figure out a way to make a paycheck without em.

Pretty much everyone in the ER doesn't work. . . unless they are dying. Everyone else is at work. I've never seen anyone who benefit from being considered "disabled" and put on the public dole. It makes them not have to work, but it doesn't make their lives better.

We are heading towards the toilet as a country.

Never thought I would say this, but I can see why the lefties like the word challenged, but for different reasons.
    You lose an arm or leg, it's more challenging for you to do the things most of us take for granted.

Modern day slaves (any one trying to survive solely on a gubmint check is in bondage) aren't always DISabled, but many are UNabled. They think they are UNable to do anything, worthwhile, so they sit on their ever widening asses and claim they can't work.

These are the same dipshits that think Fun Fair Positive Sports are good for the "chillruns". (<--Trademarked by the late King of Pop)

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Not to argue that there are more than the fair share of moochers or fakes out there but there's lots of folks out there that do indeed need the help. If nothing else think of all the disabled vets needing help from the very country they served to protect, my father being one of them. I firmly believe the system is well over due for reform but just to cut the programs completely would leave lots of well deserving individuals basically helpless.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    ^^ i don't think the idea is to cut this or any social welfare program, but rather change them as they are. They are just way too open for fraud and/or abuse.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    ^^ i don't think the idea is to cut this or any social welfare program, but rather change them as they are. They are just way too open for fraud and/or abuse.

That they're and that's for certain, instead of just adding new laws as politicians love doing I'd like to see the programs reformed. Hell, I'd like to see the whole damn government reformed....

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have to admit that having the placard has it's perks..

Hell, they won't give me one of them!!

But I do get to board airplanes first, which is actually a benefit for everyone else. If you ever see a one armed guy about to attempt to put
    a 30 lb. bag into the over head and you are close by, you may want to take cover. :roflfunny:

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I was referring to the guys talking on this thread, not anyone beyond that.

I was simply agreeing with your post about the programs vulnerability to abuse and fraud, which is where I think reform could play an important role in getting it to those that NEED it and away from those that just WANT it.

Top Bottom