• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Chinese Type 53 Carbine, Cal. 7.62x54R $119.00 SHIPS FREE
    This ad has been up on Buds forever. Every time I stop in I stare at it and think, "I want one of these." I don't hunt, although I 100% support hunting. The only other rifle I own is a .22. I just feel like I need a rifle in a large caliber. Having one that's pre beat up is a plus to me. After all it can only get better if I play with it. And if I lose some parts on the floor, well, I don't have a lot invested in it anyway.
    Anybody out there have one of these? What do you think of it? I like the carbine length. I think now I need one.
    If the ad is not allowed, the gun is a Mosin copy Chinese type 53 in 762X54R, which is really cheap right now. Of course 762X39 used to be a bargain too. According to the reviews these are VERY beat up and cosmolined, but functional.
    Guns International

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    I hade a mosin carbine and rifle. I went through a phase where I picked up one of everything when I got an 03 ffl. Ended up with about 50 guns I never shot lying around the house. The carbine shoots a ball of flame about 2 feet out. They are a lot of fun to shoot though.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Buy a Russian m44 or a Hungarian variant.
    The Chinese tend to be in terrible shape.
    It does matter, if the bore is a sewer pipe, you have a very large 100 dollar club.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Before you buy, you should know that the M44 is famous for three things:

1.) The tremendous fire-ball it spits out in broad daylight when you fire the silly thing
    2.) The Flak 88-like muzzle report it makes when going off
    3.) The fact that it kicks like a wet mule

I love my Russian. I can't speak for a Chinese copy, but the Russians are fun, fun rifles to shoot (then again, I'm a big guy). They're the cheapest, cost-efficient .30 rifle you can buy, even if the accuracy isn't that great on some. If you can get your paws on one that's in good shape and shoots straight, you'll have done good; I've seen the standard rifle-length M91/30's going for $149.99 now-a-days on sites that used to sell them at $79.99 a pop.

Last edited:

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    My 91/30 is sighted in for I think 200 or 300 meters at the default setting, which means at 100 its not all that accurate. I had read that a lot of them are like this. Wonder if those Chinese versions have the same problem (I doubt it, but who knows).

ray55classic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    South of Houston
    Axis has these for $10 more and they check the headspace, clean the bore, etc. first.

Chinese Mosin Nagant

$10 is very cheap insurance indeed when the action holding 40,000psi or so is only inches from your head....... One more vote for the Russian why buy an inferior rifle to save what $75?? Poor Quality lasts forever, you can earn another $75

Last edited:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    $10 is very cheap insurance indeed when the action holding 40,000psi or so is only inches from your head....... One more vote for the Russian why buy an inferior rifle to save what $75?? Poor Quality lasts forever, you can earn another $75

As far as I know the Chinese ones were not necessarily of a lower quality. I know that the factories were built under the direction of Russian contractors or whatever they were called. They provided the machinery and training. I know that with SKS's the Chinese quickly set up their own factory as well, "Factory 26" as it is referred to by the Western World. I don't know how the Chinese dealt with the Mosins specifically, but I would assume the only way they are "inferior" to Russian ones would be from usage and storage issues rather than something integral in the construction. If the bore is good and there is not damage it should be just as reliable as a Russian or other countries that made Mosins. Most of the WWI and WWII era arms are well overbuilt. I know that in Skennerton's book on Enfields he has an example of a rifle with a squib round in it and the soldier fired a subsequent 17 more rounds before the barrel burst.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Man, these used to be about 75 bucks a few years back. I have a couple and they usually look like a dog's been chewing on them. They are considered the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Mosins but they still shoot no matter how bad they look!

But to be honest I would spend a little more and get a M44 or M38 instead, it'll likely be a much nicer rifle and it will not look like it's been sitting in a paddy somewhere for the last 50+ years.

Mosins are great rifles but they're starting to creep up in price. Now would be a good time to buy one, I think they're only going to get more and more expensive which is OK because I have a bunch of them sitting around!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Messed around with a 53 at work... We are selling them for $200, which is $50 more than I'd pay for one. We did have one that didnt look like total shit from the outside, however.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom