• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Will this quick change effect primer seating, crimp. ? How about when changing bullet styles ? AOL ? Just curious is why am asking. I shoot .357 Maximimum down to .357 Magum. One uses the 180.gr. CAst RCBS and the other 140.gr JHP. Still have to adjust the powder measure.

dougwilliams

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    NC
    Hi Leadpot, kit basically jumps toolhead up/down .130 inch. Primer seating doesn't move since it's done at the bottom of the press stroke and toolhead is not involved. I picked the .130 dimension because the difference between 357 and 38 spec is .135 and difference between 44 special and 44 magmum is .125. With a .130 spacer I split the difference and in most cases the .005 doesn't matter or is easily tweaked out. With my loadings it doesn't matter and I rarely have to adjust. If my math is right .005 inch is about 1/16 turn on a die. When changing bullet styles you might have to adjust your seating depth as always but crimp setting will move with the toolhead and should be fine. AOL will move .130 if bullet style remains the same and nothing else changes. A kit could be built for 357 Max to 357 Mag but the large difference of .315 would make it difficult. I have kits in the works for some other dimensionallly similar bullets like 45 ACP/GAP but 38/357Mag and 44Spec/Mag worked together so it was logical to do it first.

Doug Williams

Top Bottom