• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Personally I think you are doing a great job Alan. The only thing I can think of that would make the site better would be email alerts when someone replies to your post. Some other forums let you mark threads to watch. When a new reply is posted you get an email letting you know.

I had it turned off by default.

You can turn it on in your options.

Do the following:

1. Go to UserCP in the upper left navigation bar.
    2. Edit Options (in the left menu)
    3. Scroll Down until you see Default Thread Subscription Mode
    4. Change to your preference.

Now the new threads you respond to will be stored in your UserCP and, if you elected so, notifications will be emailed to you.
    Venture Surplus ad

bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    I like this forum quite well. I am not a frequent poster, but I check in everyday. I think if you were to add something I would like to see a rimfire section. Just my thoughts.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    A picture Gallery would be nice. When I was a member or Shortmags .org they had a nice gallery of Rifles. A buyers guide rating rifles and scopes would be nice. You could do handguns too. A section like that would eliminate alot of Ford vs Chevy questions about which is better. As a member of Gun & game forum there some political threads but if they were confined to blogs only and the quote feature turned off, it would be ok. That way people could not argue, just listen. Freedom of speech with out the freedom to argue. Info on deer leases would be good. I'm glad there is a survival section. A real Texas forum.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    I'm also very new to the forum. I've owned a Ruger Revolver for over 30 years and I recently decided - well, my wife and I both decided - to get our CHLs. So we've started to do some research and discussed options with friends who carry. I browsed various specific weapons and found a fairly informative forum in OK. Well, I thought, there MUST be something similar in Texas and I used Google to find this forum. So far, it's been just what I'm looking for.

What I've been looking for most are OWNER's opinions of specific weapons, and maybe comparisons between different weapons. Since I've never owned a semi-automatic, I have a lot to learn, as well, so any basic how-to stuff is appreciated. I'm sure that as I increase my knowledge, I'll appreciate any more detailed/involved how-to forums.

So, for now, it's mostly reviews from owners, especially those who've owned many, that I'm looking for. As for what changes I'd like - I haven't been around long enough to say, but for now, nothing!

And thanks for asking.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A picture Gallery would be nice. When I was a member or Shortmags .org they had a nice gallery of Rifles. A buyers guide rating rifles and scopes would be nice. You could do handguns too. A section like that would eliminate alot of Ford vs Chevy questions about which is better. As a member of Gun & game forum there some political threads but if they were confined to blogs only and the quote feature turned off, it would be ok. That way people could not argue, just listen. Freedom of speech with out the freedom to argue. Info on deer leases would be good. I'm glad there is a survival section. A real Texas forum.

The buyers guide sounds cool. We could include that in our articles.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    How about a "Recommended gunsmiths" forum? On the other hand, how would you keep some incompetent bozo from posting false recommendations?

WARNING - NooGuyPost - I would like to see this, too. As to your second point, if a particular gunsmith was that good, I'd expect to see other members chiming in on an "attaboy" post about the guy. One rave review would be kinda suspect, but several people agreeing - that would be more convincing.

And the same thing goes for a bad review. One? Well, OK. But several? This is a business to avoid.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    WARNING - NooGuyPost - I would like to see this, too. As to your second point, if a particular gunsmith was that good, I'd expect to see other members chiming in on an "attaboy" post about the guy. One rave review would be kinda suspect, but several people agreeing - that would be more convincing.

And the same thing goes for a bad review. One? Well, OK. But several? This is a business to avoid.

Again, this is already in place... we have an entire forum devoted to gunsmithing. All you have to do is start a thread.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    Yeah, I apologize - I hadn't finished reading through all the posts in the thread before I responded to the one about gunsmithing.

Stinkin' noo guys!

ChicagoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    I'm about as happy with the site setup and numbers of forums as anyone can be (though I would suggest that if traffic gets strong enough you should divide handguns and long guns in the Firearms Classified section like TFL, but for now the traffic's low enough that's pointless).

I do wish I saw more activity on these forums, at least in topics that interest me, but I can't talk - particularly since I very rarely start threads myself (I'm just a replier ;))

At any rate, just keep it up!

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I

HOWEVER!

A "vent" forum would be kind of cool. I see from other forums I am on that people like to clutter good info with their mindless drivel from time to time when they need to vent about something. It can get retarded quick. A designated forum for bitching about our new crap day at the range, which doesn't really need a reply to would be interesting, and would keep the drama out of the main body. Just an idea though.

I like this idea.

DarkRook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2008
    East Houston Area
    I've been missed...

Sorry, I have been tied up with a lot of stuff; July was family vacation time and spent a week a Crystal Beach. Came back and dogged a storm then school starting back. Everything was just getting back to normal and working around that house and doing a little fishing and next thing I know its September and big Ike hits me. I just got back to work this weekend. I had to; I needed the break from all the work I have to do at home. Note to self, no power sucks big time. The beach house I stayed a week at in Crystal Beach is gone. Anyway my place was hit badly. I have about $30K worth of damage to my home. I’m going to be tied up for a little while.

As for the web site, “it’s all good”. I like it and I read above about some good ideals. I’m not going anywhere; I’ve just been busy with other life stuff. I have not done much with my guns of late and I have 4 projects in the works. I’ll be back real soon.

RamseyRed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    I would like to see a section on competitions.
    A place for competitors to discuss their particular shooting sport.
    A place to post upcoming match information and later, results.
    A place to discuss the guns used for the several types of competitions and why certain guns/calibers were chosen.
    A place for competitors to converse with friends who are shooting their particular shooting sport.

I realize that most shooters do not shoot in competition, but it can be fun, educational and overall rewarding to a shooter. There are competitions for all ages and winning is NOT the most important part of competition.

Top Bottom