• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Would like to add some lights to the inside of the safe as my room lighting isn't the greatest. I was thinking something battery operated (don't wanna drill holes in the safe to run cords) and something that I could velcro to the inside. Velcro sticks VERY well to the lining on my safe. Any ideas? Here's a pic of the safe in question if it helps.

Gun Zone Deals

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I've at the ones at WalMart like that before. I just wasn't sure how well they worked. I guess for under $10 each I get get a couple to try out and if they didn't like I wanted, I'm not out that much.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    One of my friends has a gun safe like yours. I know you said you did't want to drill in it, but he did. He sealed the hole with caulking. I forget exactly how he did it, but he had some small 15 watt light fixtures (3 or 4) mounted to the back wall. He told me that he leaves them on all the time because the act like a dryer rod and when he opens the safe, he's got real good lighting. Seemed like to much work for me, so I used the touch lights that run off batteries.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    If you do drill into it, it will lessen the fire rating. You can use fire caulk to seal the hole which will give some of it back, but that is still another hole in the safe. If it were me, I would go with the battery operated light, they make those in LED form too, so it might be a bit brighter

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    I noticed while browsing Liberty's site that they had an option for adding electrical outputs inside the safe. It didn't mention lowering the fire rating of the safe, but what kerryp posted makes a lot of sense to me. I'm curious whether they do something that direct, or have another way for getting cabling through without impacting the overall fire rating.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    If they implement the option when they are building it, they may use contact switch hinges or the like that make the connection.

They still need to get the wire in there, but they may be able to do it right during construction.

You might call the safe company and ask them how drilling would affect fire rating and ask them if the safe came with any way to add electrical wiring after the fact.

The safe may have knockouts of some sort or something that you don't know about that would allow you to add lighting and meet the specs of the safe.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I would think drilling also would lower the fire rating but also might void any sort of warranty that you have on that safe. The puck lights should be good for the safe and easy to maintain. nice safe

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My mother had the little walmart tap lights in her kitchen and they seem to light up pretty well. And with those you can put up one for each section and have plenty of light.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    DIY and relatively inexpensive:

Get one of these for the long gun area:
    [URL]http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-floodlight[/URL]
    And one of these for each of the smaller areas:
    [URL]http://www.oznium.com/rectangular-channel[/URL]
    Use this as a power source:
    [URL]http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062242[/URL]
    Then use this switch so the lights come on automatically when you open the door:
    [URL]http://www.oznium.com/pin-switch[/URL]
    (you will need to fabricate a mount for it)

Floodlight: (1) $18
    LED pods: (3) $3
    Door pin switch: (1) $7
    AA battery holder (2) $8
    Misc wiring/hardware $5
    (8) AA batteries: $3
    Total cost: $50 and about 2 hours to install.

Top Bottom