Hurley's Gold

Ideas For Making a Small Hibachi Style Grill.........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A coffee can would be about the right size. Unfortunately, Folgers is packaged in plastic these days.
    If I didn't buy Folgers or Maryland Club (which is getting harder and harder to find), mom would roll over in her grave.

A lot of coffee is packaged in plastic or cardboard containers now. Some of the lesser known brands of coffee are still packed in tin containers.

Secondary option would be the #10 can mentioned that some juices come in. Those are still readily available at the store.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    That might be too big. I'm thinking small enough to be able to sit on the shelf on the back porch when not being used. About big enough to grill maybe two burgers, or a package of hot dogs, or a couple sausages. Maybe using a couple handfuls of charcoal for he entire cooking.

I did a Google search for "hibachi grills" and was totally floored at the prices!
    Hey Axe,

I used one very similar to this for many years...

I think it was 16" long and about 10" in diameter? Maybe 12" at the most...

Just right for two... (it finally rotted out)

I think it was called the little smoker?

1627529033967.png

I used it on the tailgate of my pick up for years and years...(gave me a shelf to work on) LOL

Later, Mark

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Thanks to everyone for the ideas and suggestions. Lots of great suggestions, even the ones I won't be using. I'm still in the planning stages, and sifting through the information. I'm going to sift through my junk pile on the other side of the property to see what goodies may be hiding over there!

A big shout out to @skfullgun for donating his cast iron loaf pan and time to the furtherment of science and inventions! Totally cool, and impressive sir!

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I'm declaring it a success! Great steak!
    Ideally, I need to come up with a way to keep the briquettes about a quarter inch off the bottom of the pan/grill. Some type of a screen so they they have air flow underneath. I'm in no hurry, but I'll figure something out. The whole object of this project is to do it without having to buy anything.
    Thanks, @Axxe55 , you have complicated my life with yet another project.
    as a temp ball up or roll up some tinfoil

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    As thread title suggests, I'm looking for ideas on making a small hibachi style or sized grill. Something much smaller than my current homemade grill for grilling in much smaller batches of food. Kind of got the idea a couple of weeks ago, when I fired up the bigger grill to do a package of hot dogs for the wife and I. It works great, but really was a sort of waste of charcoal for the amount of grilling I did.

I want to build something smaller, that only uses about a couple handfuls of charcoal for just doing a couple of burgers, or a package of hot dogs. Looking for some ideas for things I could re-purpose into making a small grill about the size of a hibachi grill.
    Firefly backpacking stove has an attachment available which is an 8" circle 2" thick lava rock like substance with a metal grid over and under. perfect for picnic or patio "horse duvers" shrimp, squash, steak bites etc.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Sorry if mentioned before, but have you considered the .50 cal ammo can grills? Several designs out there, all easy to make.
    Fat .50 cans ain’t cheap! Unless Uncle Sugar is giving you an endless supply for shooting commies they don’t seem the like a great deal. A hot enough fire to cook on seems like it would warp the can pretty quickly.

The unmarked import cans might last even less time then building one in the summer heat is worth!

A small tire rim might prove more durable& cheap. The center of the rim could support you charcoal. Elevating it on a 3 bricks for air flow. Expanded metal could be cut for bothe the charcoal and grill surface.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I'd love to have some more 50 caliber and even some 30 caliber metal ammo cans. I'd probably rather use them for storage than making a small grill out of them though.

I have seen some made out of ammo cans on various videos on YouTube. Not a bad idea at all, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

@baboon does bring up a good point about them possibly warping from the heat. Maybe something a bit thicker might be much better.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I'd love to have some more 50 caliber and even some 30 caliber metal ammo cans. I'd probably rather use them for storage than making a small grill out of them though.

I have seen some made out of ammo cans on various videos on YouTube. Not a bad idea at all, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

@baboon does bring up a good point about them possibly warping from the heat. Maybe something a bit thicker might be much better.
    Over the next few weeks, I should have a dozen or so .50 cal cans available.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    About to throw another piece of beef on the cast-iron contraption!
    When I empty a 1lb propane cylinder as a small charcoal chimney. Anybody volunteer to drill into it when it's empty?
    Seriously, I'll probably "ventilate" it from a safe distance before I cut into it!

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've cooked two steaks and a piece of salmon on the "Loafer Grill". It all turned out great.

This is another option I may consider for when I am traveling/camping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210805-105911~2.png
      Screenshot_20210805-105911~2.png
      58 KB · Views: 68
    Top Bottom