• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 045ACP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Austin
    This is Milsurp Lake City brass, headstamp LC 11. Just now getting around to reprocessing. I'm concerned about the discoloration, at least want to know what it is. This brass was run through a vibratory tumbler for 2 hours with corncob and brass cleaner. Thoughts?
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• 20151229_101905_resized.jpg
      20151229_101905_resized.jpg
      34.8 KB · Views: 500

Weaponologist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Statesville NC
    It could be the Brass cleaner, maybe getting old or not mixed well... I've seen Wet tumbled Brass look even worse if you use to much Lem-Shine in the water...
    But either way, Like the others I don't feel you have anything to worry about..

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A lot of brass polishes can ruin the structure of brass. Anything with ammonia in it will do that. My suggestion is that you use brass cleaners to do JUST that and nothing more: clean the dirt and soot off of the cartridges and don't worry about discolorations.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I use walnut media. Seems better than corn cob media. And it's cheap. Petco has 40 lbs for under $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    If I recall, ammonia will harden brass. I use brasso in my corncob media but let it run for a bit until the ammonia evaporates

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    The cases are not that bad, so just shoot them one more time before doing the next 3 steps:
    - Soak the cases in a vinegar and salt mixture (or pickle juice) for about 30-60 minutes.
    - Take out the brass and wash them with warm water in the sink to neutralize the acid.
    **Notice all tarnish is already gone
    - Add 3 TBSP of Paint thinner to your media and toss the cases into the tumbler for about an hour.

All tarnish will be gone and the cases will be dry and super shiny.

Mastiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    The cases are not that bad, so just shoot them one more time before doing the next 3 steps:
    - Soak the cases in a vinegar and salt mixture (or pickle juice) for about 30-60 minutes.
    - Take out the brass and wash them with warm water in the sink to neutralize the acid.
    **Notice all tarnish is already gone
    - Add 3 TBSP of Paint thinner to your media and toss the cases into the tumbler for about an hour.

All tarnish will be gone and the cases will be dry and super shiny.

In all the years of reloading (about 20+ years), that's a recipe I've never heard of before. I have good success using a Loren Tumbler with stainless pins and lemishine. Then after spinning of the liquid I put them in low temp over to dry them out. It quite a process, but it's just a hobby for me and reloading clean and shiny brass is more of a "feel good" thing. Tarnished cases are no big deal and work fine.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've been using walnut media in my tumbler. It is only around $15 for 20 lbs. Cheap, and does a much better job than the corn cob media. And, it is much cheaper than those expensive methods / machines.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    NuFinish brand or another auto paint polish is ammonia free and about 3 cap fulls in your corn cob media will shine it right up
    I use a mixture of corn cob and walnut media

Pure walnut has little to no absorbency and whille it agitates the surface good can't carry away the dirt and absorb it

Top Bottom