• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    So, a few times over the last year we've had our vehicles entered because we left the doors unlocked.

Aside from the obvious, I'm looking for input on things to do to help prevent this from happening again. The cars are in the driveway, with a light which is always on. We can't park in the garage because my wife is a hoard...er, uhm, uh, preservationist.

A security camera setup isn't in the budget right now. A game camera isn't easily hidden.

Ideally, I'd like to put ghost pepper juice on the door handle or something similar but am struggling with a plan. SWMBO suggested bull nettle with ghost pepper juice but the actual implementation eludes me.

Nefarious ideas?
    Hurley's Gold

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Well, the obvious answer seems to be, if you've had trouble with entry through unlocked doors, start locking your doors.

Other than that, why hide a game camera? Just put it out of reach with a big sign saying video surveillance. A dog is usually a good idea as well. They tend to make a lot of noise when something is going on.

Careful with traps. There's the legal issue and the more practical side of considering the likelihood of you accidentally triggering it on yourself.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    buy a Skylink brand driveway alarm off of Amazon for about $35
    it uses a battery powered motion sensor and a AC powered reciever that works up to 800 ft away.

Set up the sensor in your drive way, put the monitor by your bed.. When it goes off at 2am get up and take care of the problem

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    I've thought about one of those sensors. May have to go pick one up.

Attachments

• pulp-fiction_1.jpg
      pulp-fiction_1.jpg
      6.1 KB · Views: 445

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Keep the vehicle windows closed and the doors locked!

Install a motion sensor light and audible alarm that covers your vehicles.

None of that will do any good if you have deer, raccoons, skunks, possums and other critters that walk up by your vehicles.

Maybe build a garage and be done with it?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    One of the best things to do would be to lock your doors and take your keys.
    The best option would be to park in your garage with the doors locked. Using your garage also keeps your vehicles in better shape and doesn't advertise if you are gone.
    If someone cases your house and sees that your cars can tell them if they can break in without confronting an armed homeowner they might pick your house over your neighbors.
    For the collection that's in your garage now- connex? Trash? Yard sale? Or business as usual

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    One of the best things to do would be to lock your doors and take your keys.
    The best option would be to park in your garage with the doors locked. Using your garage also keeps your vehicles in better shape and doesn't advertise if you are gone.
    If someone cases your house and sees that your cars can tell them if they can break in without confronting an armed homeowner they might pick your house over your neighbors.
    For the collection that's in your garage now- connex? Trash? Yard sale? Or business as usual

We've gotten better each time about locking the car doors. Occasionally, we lapse and it seems those are the times we get hit. I'm 99.8% certain it's neighborhood kids doing it, and until this last time, they haven't gotten anything of any real value (grabbed my relatively new Rx glasses and some irreplaceable bottle openers this time) so it hasn't hurt until now.

And I agree, parking in the garage is the best option. But, I'm not sure my truck would fit.

Re; cleaning the garage. I wish it was one of the first three.

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    Red blinking light on your dash, and motion sensor activated flood lights. You don't want the lights on all the time, at least not the ones on your valuables. There are also vibration sensing alarms... The ones for the door handle... Put one turned on in your drivers seat. If someone can walk up to my house, ignore the alarm light in my car, not be phased by the sudden bright light, and not run when that little noise maker goes off... He deserves the JHP I give him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    Both vehicles have red blinking lights. Not sure if they are only on when the doors are locked though. Got a link to those alarms for the seat/door though?

The exterior garage light is always on.

As of now, there have been no attempts at entry into the house. I'm sure the dogs would alert if that happened. But, yeah, if they try to enter the home...

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    I would seriously think about replacing that light with a motion sensor activated light. Sudden light gives people who are trying to discreet the sudden sense that they can be seen. I know that from experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cordell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Williamson County
    You're right about your car being targeted because it was unlocked. Most vehicle burglars go out at night, street by street jingling door handles. They usually work in groups of three to four and can sometimes have a get away driver parked at the end of the street. They will try every door handle of every car until they find an open door. Once they find an open door, it takes less than two minutes to ransack your car and steal your valuables and go on to the next car. This happens A LOT! Many morning shifts for law enforcement agencies spend the first hour or two on shift taking vehicle burglary reports because it is so prevalent.

The best way to prevent yourself from becoming a victim will cost you absolutely nothing. Just like the signs say at the shopping centers "Lock It, Hide It, Take It". It is that simple. Thieves look for quick easy targets. So the best advice is, if you have something in your car that you can remove from the car, a thief can too. Don't leave it in there.

Also don't think you're clever and hide stuff under blankets and pillows in the back seat. That screams "I'm valuable! Take Me!"

Even if your car is locked and you leave an expensive item out like an iPod, GPS device, cell phone or God forbid, a firearm, it takes less than thirty seconds for a skilled person to pop a lock.

Moral of the story, lock your car and take everything out of it and you shouldn't have anymore problems.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    We are somewhat fortunate to be removed from Austin proper but part of Austin and in an, although large, isolated neighborhood. Hence why I'm certain it's local kids just out looking for thrills.

We don't keep valuables in the car so we are ok there. They obviously aren't professionals because they left $10 in the glove box, numerous car electronic chargers, a knife, maglite, and multitool this time (and in the past too).

Keeping the doors locked is the obvious solution, but slips the mind sometimes.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom