Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Graybeard's has a whole section for "Politics, Religion, and News." Yeah, I can imagine what sort of posters that might attract.

The Freedom Arms sub-forum, specifically, seems blessedly unaffected.

But thanks for encouraging me to go back and take a second look. Now I know what you're talking about.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I had the same experience. It's not really the "freedom arms forum" so much as a section of the GBO forum.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah? Well, get into the politics area. About every other one is STILL
    blaming Bush for the actions of this idiot we have now. :) Read some
    more, benenglish.

You might have to be more specific.

I blame Bush for the situation in Iraq. Never should have went there to begin with. Total farce.
    Does that make me a liberal?

I blame Obama for arming terrorists groups, acting like an obvious Muslim sympathizer, a communist, anti-gun, being completely opposed to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and our founding principles, and for being a lying piece of garbage.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Johnnyloco, the last part of your statement is what im talking about! Yes, I think we
    have found out why those middle eastern countries were always ruled with an IRON
    HAND, thats the only thing the people who live in them, understand! And now, we know
    this, what are we doing? Continuing to overthrow, or help overthrow the so-called dictators!
    If we were smart, we would bring our people home, and let them sink in their own crap.
    These people HATE us, and always will. As soon as we learn this lesson, we MIGHT be able
    to extricate ourselves from this shitt-hole part of the world.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Johnnyloco, the last part of your statement is what im talking about! Yes, I think we
    have found out why those middle eastern countries were always ruled with an IRON
    HAND, thats the only thing the people who live in them, understand! And now, we know
    this, what are we doing? Continuing to overthrow, or help overthrow the so-called dictators!
    If we were smart, we would bring our people home, and let them sink in their own crap.
    These people HATE us, and always will. As soon as we learn this lesson, we MIGHT be able
    to extricate ourselves from this shitt-hole part of the world.
    Tru_dat

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I remember freshman year first period history the planes hit and we watched the news. Palestinians were celebrating and waving their plans and burning ours. They were more than happy to hear radical Islam killed thousands of innocent Americans while they worked.

We handled it wrong. Hindsight is 20/20. Since we were shipping guys out- we should've destroyed the terrorist cowards in Palestine.

Let's handle ISIS now but bring troops to Texas. Let's secure the boarder from the cartel terrorists and the other potential terrorists. Let's make it easier to become a citizen legally, but let's make illegal immigration terrifying so fewer will try it.

Deport all of the known terrorist sympathizers and the immigrants that can't behave while they're here. Let's speed up the long stays on death row. Let's not have Latin American kid camps ever again.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I blame Bush for the situation in Iraq. Never should have went there to begin with. Total farce.
    Here's how oblivious even a supposedly "lived long enough to know better" guy like me can be: I voted for Bush for just one reason. I thought both candidates were complete idiots. (Actually, no, given his ties to Texas, we all KNEW Bush was an idiot.) But I held my nose and voted for Bush because he was a Christian. He made a really big deal out of that during the campaign.

Any Christian with the slightest understanding of the history of their religion knows one truth, above all others, in dealing with worldly affairs. That truth is: Never fight in or near the Holy Land. The people there carry thousands of years of religious baggage that makes that entire region a tar baby so sticky is must be given a wide berth. Send some aid to Israel? Sure; they tend to be a stabilizing influence. Other than that, stay the hell out.

Bush, a Christian, should have known this. I felt comfortable that no matter what else he might screw up, he couldn't be crazy enough to send troops to fight in the middle east.

Well, I said he was an idiot and while that might be an overstatement overall, it certainly applies to his primary foreign policy initiative - unending and bloody involvement in the affairs of tribal idiots with lots of surplus, third-world stuff that goes boom.

I would have been better off voting for any of the third parties. I would have been better off voting for Donald Duck. I'm still peeved and disgusted.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Here's how oblivious even a supposedly "lived long enough to know better" guy like me can be: I voted for Bush for just one reason. I thought both candidates were complete idiots. (Actually, no, given his ties to Texas, we all KNEW Bush was an idiot.) But I held my nose and voted for Bush because he was a Christian. He made a really big deal out of that during the campaign.Any Christian with the slightest understanding of the history of their religion knows one truth, above all others, in dealing with worldly affairs. That truth is: Never fight in or near the Holy Land. The people there carry thousands of years of religious baggage that makes that entire region a tar baby so sticky is must be given a wide berth. Send some aid to Israel? Sure; they tend to be a stabilizing influence. Other than that, stay the hell out.Bush, a Christian, should have known this. I felt comfortable that no matter what else he might screw up, he couldn't be crazy enough to send troops to fight in the middle east.Well, I said he was an idiot and while that might be an overstatement overall, it certainly applies to his primary foreign policy initiative - unending and bloody involvement in the affairs of tribal idiots with lots of surplus, third-world stuff that goes boom.I would have been better off voting for any of the third parties. I would have been better off voting for Donald Duck. I'm still peeved and disgusted.
    Well said.As far as playing the "idiot" card with Bush, I rarely go there because I assume no matter how much of a dufus he is, he's got to have some pretty smart people around him, and he probably wasn't the one calling all the shots anyway.As far as being a Christian, haven't all presidents claimed to be Christian. Hell, Obama claimed to be a Christian. "By their friuts you shall know them." As far as I can tell, Christians lived in relative peace in Iraq before Bush got involved. Egypt and Syria before Obama got involved. Now they are getting executed.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well said.As far as playing the "idiot" card with Bush, I rarely go there because I assume no matter how much of a dufus he is, he's got to have some pretty smart people around him, ...
    The "idiot card" is in play with lots of U.S. Presidents and I don't hesitate to bring it out. We have a long history of electing complete incompetents to that office. When you study the history of the office, you often (VERY often) find yourself saying "How in the bloody hell did that idiot get elected?" Incompetent leadership is an American tradition with deep roots.

As far as being a Christian, haven't all presidents claimed to be Christian.
    AFAIK, Washington was a Deist who attended Christian services simply as a social obligation. (Yes, there is controversy regarding this view, but I find his repeated use of "Architect" instead of "God" rather telling.) His attitude was pretty common among the founding fathers.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    The "idiot card" is in play with lots of U.S. Presidents and I don't hesitate to bring it out. We have a long history of electing complete incompetents to that office. When you study the history of the office, you often (VERY often) find yourself saying "How in the bloody hell did that idiot get elected?" Incompetent leadership is an American tradition with deep roots.

AFAIK, Washington was a Deist who attended Christian services simply as a social obligation. (Yes, there is controversy regarding this view, but I find his repeated use of "Architect" instead of "God" rather telling.) His attitude was pretty common among the founding fathers.

Good point.

As a Christian, I would still rather have a Deist with a strong adherence to the Constitution and Christian values than some phony Christian who is bent on destroying Americ, or a real Christian who is a neocon, internationalist interventionist.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I disagree with Ben.
    Bush is a brilliant person. I just think he was too moderate. He started the DHS and took us to Afgan and Iraq. He also had to sit through the burst bubble after the internet made bllions for years and finally settled down.
    As far as who to vote for- Al Gore or John Kerry? EASIEST CHOICE EVER- W. No way those clowns couldn't have ran our country into the dirt. W kept us from them as president and I'll be grateful for that.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX

No, because Liberals pushed for war with Iraq too.

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    --Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    --Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
    -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    -- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
    -- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
    -- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
    -- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    -- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

:)

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I disagree with Ben.
    So does everybody with a brain, from time to time.

Bush is a brilliant person. I just think he was too moderate. He started the DHS and took us to Afgan and Iraq. ...
    Seriously - Did you forget to include a </sarcasm> tag?

If you're being serious, fine. We can agree to disagree. No harm done. I'm just temporarily confused and asking you to help me out.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No, because Liberals pushed for war with Iraq too.
    Everybody pushed for war. The people who didn't were shouted down as unpatriotic.

That list of quotes contains so many statements of belief about the situation at the time that later turned out to be false. I'll bet every one of those people now wishes they'd never opened their mouths.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Exactly, Ben - that's why I deliberately included the word "too".

Everyone blames BUSH - but conveniently forgets (or is ignorant of) the fear (of Saddam's purported WMDs) that was in the air at the time, spewed by BOTH sides of the aisle.

Wikipedia:

The Iraq Resolution or the Iraq War Resolution (formally the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002,[SUP][1][/SUP] Pub.L. 107–243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002, H.J.Res. 114) is a joint resolution passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing military action against Iraq.

• 58% of Democratic senators (29 of 50) voted for the resolution. Those voting for the resolution are:
    Sens. Lincoln (D-AR), Feinstein (D-CA), Dodd (D-CT), Lieberman (D-CT), Biden (D-DE), Carper (D-DE), Nelson (D-FL), Cleland (D-GA), Miller (D-GA), Bayh (D-IN), Harkin (D-IA), Breaux (D-LA), Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Kerry (D-MA), Carnahan (D-MO), Baucus (D-MT), Nelson (D-NE), Reid (D-NV), Torricelli (D-NJ), Clinton (D-NY), Schumer (D-NY), Edwards (D-NC), Dorgan (D-ND), Hollings (D-SC), Daschle (D-SD), Johnson (D-SD), Cantwell (D-WA), Rockefeller (D-WV), and Kohl (D-WI).

• 42% of Democratic senators (21 of 50) voted against the resolution. Those voting against the resolution are:
    Sens. Boxer (D-CA), Graham (D-FL), Akaka (D-HI), Inouye (D-HI), Durbin (D-IL), Mikulski (D-MD), Sarbanes (D-MD), Kennedy (D-MA), Stabenow (D-MI), Levin (D-MI), Dayton (D-MN), Wellstone (D-MN), Corzine (D-NJ), Bingaman (D-NM), Conrad (D-ND), Wyden (D-OR), Reed (D-RI), Leahy (D-VT), Murray (D-WA), Byrd (D-WV), and Feingold (D-WI).

Last edited:

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    You make good points. I guess I would have to clarify that when I say I "blame Bush" it is only in the sense that he was the sitting president and figurehead of the whole debacle.

Ben is right, everyone pushed for war. Well, almost everyone, not RON PAUL.

I also wouldn't classify many of the Democrat politicians on this list as a traditional "liberal," at least not at that time. They were and still are establishment hawks, CFR/NSC neocons (or share some of the same beliefs).

The "liberals" I was referring to is the average urban, white upper-class, MSNBC watching moron.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    So does everybody with a brain, from time to time.

Seriously - Did you forget to include a </sarcasm> tag?

If you're being serious, fine. We can agree to disagree. No harm done. I'm just temporarily confused and asking you to help me out.
    He went to a better school than I did. He paints. Plus the other clowns that ran against him in his career weren't on the same tier of learned ability and common sense.
    Examples - Ann Richards, Gore, Kerry

Top Bottom