• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I've been contemplating joining the IDPA, but I may have to do some more research based on this video. I thought the lure of IDPA is because it is standard gear in real life situations.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I've been contemplating joining the IDPA, but I may have to do some more research based on this video. I thought the lure of IDPA is because it is standard gear in real life situations.
    In all fairness.. IDPA rules are there to stress you out. They can't simulate the excitement and complexity of a life and death situation on the range but they can make things complicated.

The forced changing of magazines and reduced round count is a good thing.. it's like having a jam in real life and saves ammo.

The reduced ammo count really saves money.

The strange situations are good, they make a person think on their feet.

Cover while reloading is good as well as it gets you in the mindset to keep out of trouble when necessary.

All that and you get out of it what you put into it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have immensely enjoyed what little experience with IDPA I've had, and the only reason I don't have more are pressing priorities (work, family, and until recently, school).

It is practical and challenging scenarios, and even if you're like me and not really into the competition aspects of it, it makes for more realistic training. The drills are similar to what the SACEUR's PSD used to put us through back in "the day." Simulation jams, reloads, transitions; and other than going through a formal training course (or "real world"), there is no better experience around!

About the only downside to it all is that it makes "normal" trips to the range, where it's shooting from a bench or standing still, a bit dull in comparison!

Cheers! M2

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    About the only downside to it all is that it makes "normal" trips to the range, where it's shooting from a bench or standing still, a bit dull in comparison!

Cheers! M2

I couldn't agree more! When I lived close to the desert I could run my own drills. Now that I'm in the neutered state of Texas where finding open land to shoot on is like finding the Yeti, I can only go to an indoor range that is close by. Shooting at a paper target gets boring quickly when compared to "run and gun" and "holster draw" drills!

Thanks for posting. I would only join the IDPA for real life skill developement and not competition.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    lol funny vid

ive done IDPA 2 or 3 times. its alot of fun, but all that ammo gets expensive, so i dont do it alot.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    IDPA is fun. The rules are sometimes annoyingly stupid, but they are the rules of the game.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Understand not all IDPA clubs are the same. At the Orange Gun Club we have our IDPA matches on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month. The round count is held to fifty for the entire match. If your in the Golden Triangle and want to meet like-minded folks check us out. BTW, the video was very funny.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about scoring. Just "play the game" in the same manner you would fight, and if you are DQ'd or not scored who cares. I mean at least you are getting the stimulus of shooting on the move and all of that sort of stuff. Same thing with other various shooting organizations. Certain modifications that make your defensive gun more effective and user friendly may put you in an open class where you'll get bulldozed by the competition, but who cares. Go do it for the training experience, but if that's the way you're going to approach it, don't get caught up with certain "gaming" techniques that might risk your life in reality.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom