TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    If Kennedy retires, Donald Trump's legacy is set
    Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large
    Updated 7:10 AM ET, Mon June 26, 2017

"The final week of the Supreme Court session opens Monday, and with it comes rampant speculation that Justice Anthony Kennedy may call it quits.

"If Kennedy does announce his retirement, it would almost certainly ensure not only a clear rightward swing in the Court but would also cement a major part of Donald Trump's legacy barely five months into his first term."

More at: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/26/politics/kennedy-retirement-trump/index.html
    Hurley's Gold

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    She probably feels she can't under the current administration. Probably die before she retires.
    Sadly I think you're right. I agree she should vacate the seat sooner than later, but I don't see her ever stepping down while a Republican is President.

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    If he does retire I don't think we will get a replacement till after the 2018 elections and if the dems win back the house and senate we won't see a replacement till possibly after 2020. IMHO

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Antares,

Inasmuch as the DIMocRATS Party is "on life support", I wouldn't worry about the DIMs ever "win back" anything, much les either the HoR or Senate.

UNLESS/UNTIL they purge the party of the America-HATING leftists that are currently "in the driver's seat", they have about as much chance as I do of EVER winning anything outside of the left coats & the Northeast.

The DIMs are fast becoming a regional/urban party, with little backing anywhere but in the USA's biggest cities.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I thought they were all moving to Canada? I had my "Build a Wall Along The Canadian Border" signs all made up, how disappointing they couldn't even keep that promise.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's nothing new for SCOTUS justices to put off retirement for political reasons. Scalia was doing the same thing until he died of natural causes in a locked room with a pillow over his face.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    If he does retire I don't think we will get a replacement till after the 2018 elections and if the dems win back the house and senate we won't see a replacement till possibly after 2020. IMHO
    Wrong. If Kennedy retires, I'll bet plenty that Trump will pick another solid choice from his already-announced list and the new candidate would be seated within three month's time. And I'm good with that--one more solid textualist on the Court would be #WINNING!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Too bad SCOTUS refused to hear the two 2nd amendment issues today:

http://thehill.com/regulation/court...rt-refuses-to-hear-two-second-amendment-cases

Love what Gorsuch's dissent said, though:

“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it. I respectfully dissent.”

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

http://thehill.com/regulation/court...rt-refuses-to-hear-two-second-amendment-cases

“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a State denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it. I respectfully dissent.”

That's good.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    easy rider,

Fwiw, I have a crowd of Canadian friends (I'm an honorary Princess Pat.) & the intelligent folk of CA would NOT accept the hate-FILLED, radical LEFTIST, FOOLS for emigration.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    karlac,

What I want to know is when a law will be passed to REQUIRE every US jurisdiction to recognize every other jurisdiction's carry concealed licenses, as marriage & driver's licenses MUST be recognized.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Then push them
    easy rider,

Fwiw, I have a crowd of Canadian friends (I'm an honorary Princess Pat.) & the intelligent folk of CA would NOT accept the hate-FILLED, radical LEFTIST, FOOLS for emigration.

yours, satx
    Then push them further north, plenty of room.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    karlac,

What I want to know is when a law will be passed to REQUIRE every US jurisdiction to recognize every other jurisdiction's carry concealed licenses, as marriage & driver's licenses MUST be recognized.

yours, satx
    I believe that was what Gorsuch was referring to.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Antares,

Inasmuch as the DIMocRATS Party is "on life support", I wouldn't worry about the DIMs ever "win back" anything, much les either the HoR or Senate.

UNLESS/UNTIL they purge the party of the America-HATING leftists that are currently "in the driver's seat", they have about as much chance as I do of EVER winning anything outside of the left coats & the Northeast.

The DIMs are fast becoming a regional/urban party, with little backing anywhere but in the USA's biggest cities.

yours, satx

I have little faith that the republicans can maintain the control or even do what we elect them to do. They will find a way to screw it up and let the demoncrats back in the majority.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX

Thomas wrote that. Gorsuch agreed in the dissent but was not the author.

Top Bottom