• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Carry one in the chamber? And how do you do it safely?

This is not a "round in the chamber carry re-hash" This is about 1911s with the hammer cocked with a round in the chamber.

I'm very familiar with all the safety and operating aspects of the Govt model model 1911. I carried one in Viet Nam. I own an M1911A1.

Even considering the grip and thumb safety, I am very concerned about carrying mine loaded, round in the chamber, hammer cocked. It seems the thumb safety could be easily bumped off (since it clicks down), and my trigger is very sensitive even tho covered in my pancake holster. And of course, trying to half-cock or let down the hammer is an ND waiting to happen. Needless to say, I currently choose not to carry it in this condition.

So, I'm curious, if you do carry your 1911 for self-defense, how do you do it, and how have you overcome these concerns?
    Venture Surplus ad

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Walk around with it empty in the holster see if it goes off.
    My trigger is less than 2.5lbs still no known problems

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Cocked and locked. I trust my 1911 in condition 1 more than I would trust any handgun without a manual safety or even most handguns with a single manual safety.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

TrusttheLord

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Marble Falls
    I carry mine in a leather holster with a thumb break strap, it theoretically should stop the hammer from contacting the firing pin in the unlikely event that the gun "goes off."

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Only as safe as the person carrying one.

Condition one or not at all.......

I carry an auto knife in my pocket too...is it safe?

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Carry how you train with your pistol!!

I carried and trained cocked and locked for 25 years. Then, I switched to hammer on a chambered round. Too long of a story to get into as to why.

Wouldn't you you know it, I got attacked with a knife shortly after the switch. I kept pulling the trigger while my thumb was supposedly thumbing the safety off. I couldn't fiqured out why the gun wouldn't fire in those microseconds, even to me it seemed like forever.

After the attckers left after seeing my gun, my leg was bleeding profusely, I then figured it out about the safety.

My leg was bleeding because he went for my stomach as I was leaping backwards and upwards while drawing. So he only got my leg.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. As mentioned, carry as you have trained. It was dumb to switch from something that was ingrained for 25 years. And even dumber not to retrain!

Now that I've had time to reflect, I am so glad that I did Not kill a human being that day, know matter how scummy he was.

I now have a scar to remind me of MY proper way to carry, Cocked and Locked!

Side note:

This happened in a Sam's parking lot. As I went back inside the store to clean up, I looked like someone who was just chopped up by Leatherface's chainsaw. I was wearing shorts and my left leg, sock and shoe were 98% blood covered.

The amazing thing was not one single person looked at me as I weaved and limped my way to the other side of the store where the restroom was. Then no one gave me a second look inside the restroom as I was cleaning up. Damn Sheeple!

I hope someone will read this and realize how important proper training is.

Y'all can call me a dumb ass all you want, you can't hurt my feelings. I've already beat myself up many times over this gross mistake.

Be safe out there

Last edited:

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I carry condition 1 - cocked and locked.

All of my holsters have sweat guards which press up against the thumb safety. Only one will fail to auto engage the thumb safety when holstering. I only have one ambi safety 1911 so for the most part my holsters force a locked condition. And, engaging the thumb safety is muscle memory consistent when holstering. About a year into carrying 1911s I twice discovered a unexpectedly disengaged thumb safety; my response was to get serious about training and ditched a couple holsters which didn't give me warm fuzzies.

I'm satisfied and confident that the safety will remain engaged until my ready hold disengages it - thumb safety, thumb rest, same difference. If carrying cocked and locked on an empty chamber doesn't build your confidence, then IMO a DA/SA or some other action that inspires your confidence is likely a more appropriate carry choice. I don't train for quick draw shooting, but that empty chamber is 1) one fewer round before your next reload, 2) extra time before your defense is available, and 3) completely gives up stealth 'cause racking in a round is a gross motor movement accompanied by an unmistakable sound. If I ever have to mount a defense, it is my hope that I will not be identified as a threat until the bad guys detect the incoming fire that I deliver from cover.

Top Bottom