• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you are not a member of the NRA, and you don't mind sharing, I'd like to hear your reason for not joining. If it's a matter of thinking you cannot afford it, that's a pretty private matter, so no need to respond in that context if you don't want to.

Respectfully,

Pete
    Gun Zone Deals

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    I hate special interest groups and lobiests...regardless of what side they are on. I refuse to participate in them. When I feel strongly about an issue, I contact my representatives, myself, the way it is supposed to be.

Special interest groups speaking for the American public is what put us into this mess in the first place.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I haven't joined yet, but plan to do so in the next couple of weeks. I was a member about 7 years back, but I let it lapse as it didn't really apply to me at the time. I didn't own a gun and didn't see the possibility of being able to afford one at the time. I joined at the time because even as a non-gunowner I still believed in the right to bear arms. Although, I have to say, the other thing that frustrated me was they could never spell my name right. Gabriel was always spelled Gaberial no matter how many times I tried to get them to fix it in their computers. :rolleyes: But now I can't see a reason not to join. Quick question though. What's the difference between the TSRA and the NRA aside from one's state and one's national?

ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    I will never join the NRA. Contrary to popular belief they have actually supported gun control on many occasions. Since pro gun people just assume the NRA will help protect the rights to bear arms they will simply sign up with them. No one bothers to research the organization. That unfortunately is part of Americas problem. We just believe what we hear and don't uncover facts for ourselves.
    I'm sure this will start a debate too. I'm on my iPhone right now by once I get home I'll link some pages showing NRA deceives there members.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What's the difference between the TSRA and the NRA aside from one's state and one's national?

Constitutional rights (NRA) vs. state laws (TSRA)...at least that's my understanding of the biggest difference. They are affiliated, so I am certain there is quite a bit of overlap.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    No one bothers to research the organization. That unfortunately is part of Americas problem. We just believe what we hear and don't uncover facts for ourselves.

I've said that over and over and tried to hammer some of the into the foil hat, march in line, repeat after me folks that had so much fun repeating manipulated garbage during the election. I'm glad to see someone else that uses their head independently.

But some folks just don't get it, and even using their own words to prove them wrong doesn't work. The mob didn't tell them they could change their mind, so there you have it.

And here we are.

I'm also in the camp with those that don't care to trust that a PAC or special interest group will speak for me in the way I would speak. Some are OK and feel safer trusting and going along with a group.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm sure this will start a debate too.

It might, but not from me. I have my reasons for supporting the NRA, and they are not based on sheepishly following the crowd.

I was just curious to get some perspectives from non-members, and I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Keep 'em coming.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I just signed up both my wife and myself. While I agree that special interest groups don't always push the way we want them to on certain issues, I also feel that they do more good than harm on average. I feel that we ALL should be in contact with our senators and representatives about our concerns to let them know what WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES, who put them in their positions, want them to do. Unfortunately, most people don't. And while I'm not going to say it's ok IMO to just sign up and let a group do that for you, it's definitely better than doing nothing. Ofcourse it's best to do both, but again that's just my opinion

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    I'm a member of TSRA and try to give extra when I can. I know they are affiliated with NRA and that is as close as I will come to them.

I got burned out and let my NRA membership expire several years back simply because I enjoy my privacy and got SOOOO tired of the phone ringing or the mailbox stuffed with "oh whoa are we, send money, buckets of money". I think the political jargon was purposely dictated in a way the common-folk had no idea what they were talking about.... but the sense of urgency came through fine.

I always had the sneaky suspicion there were hidden agendas in the NRA's dealings. There is just something about them I don't trust. I also look at their fund raising to that of a TV preacher. They are doing lots of good I'm sure, but I want to be positive I am not just buying tires for someone's Mercedes or a weekend home in the Hamptons.

BUT, that is just my take on it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Agian, I appreciate everyone's responses to my question. Let me ask a follow-up question now: For those of you who are anti-NRA, do you think that had there never been such an organization, would the overall status of our gun rights be different today? Better, worse, or the same? In other words, have there not been any positive results achieved by the NRA?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    TXSUT, what are your reasons for being a member?

For me, it's a simple matter of firmly believing they do much more good for protecting our 2nd Amendment rights than would be the case if they did not exist. I do not necessarily agree with every stance they have ever taken, and they have "given in" where I didn't think they should have, but again, I firmly believe we'd be much worse off without them. And let the record show that I have written/called/e-mailed my congressional representatives just as much as, if not more than, anybody else, and will continue to do so until the day I die.

All that said, I don't want this thread to become a debate thread, and I won't argue my opinions. I just wanted to get some honest feedback to see where people stand, out of my own curiosity.

:patriot:

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm torn between joining and not. I used to be a member because the club I shot with required it. When that club dissolved, I let my membership expire. This thread made me stop and think why I did that.

I got really tired of the junk mail and phone calls, saying that I had to send more money NOW, or lose my gun rights. They send surveys that are so skewed to one side by your answers it's almost like an ACORN survey. I called them and requested "reduced mailing", which IS an option, but it didn't help.

On the pro side, I've tried many times to communicate with my represenitives. I could never speak to them directly, and always got form letters from some staffer in response. I wrote about the 2nd amendment violations after Katrina and got a return letter thanking me for my concern about the relief efforts, and to assure me that my Rep was helping out. That WASN'T my issue. A 2nd and 3rd letter requesting that they stay on topic and answer my question, resulted in a reply that said "we don't understand how we can help you". I got really mad, because our Reps swore an oath to protect and defend the Constition, including the Bill of Rights...ALL of them, not just the ones they like.

This experience led me to write an article for the local paper on how Paul Sarbanes refussed to address the issue with me, most likely because he is a gun grabber. It was polite and articulate, and was geared toward the lack of Sarbanes willing to stay on point more than what my issue actually was. I pointed out that all Reps have a duty to stand up against Civil Rights violations, of ANY kind, regardless of their personal feelings on the issue. The paper refussed tp run the commentary. I gave up.

This whole experience speaks volumes about the power of a lobby group like the NRA. I don't like some of the stuff they've done either, but I think they do more good than harm.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    I'll add one more thing...if the NRA believed that the words, 'shall not be infringed' meant the same thing as I believe they do, I would probably be a member.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Interesting thread. I don't know of any organization that has done more to promote the 2nd Amendment than the NRA in the last 40 years. If there is one, please let me know so I can join.

I first joined the NRA as a teenager in the 60's. My parents bought me a lifetime membership on my 18th birthday. As I moved around the world in the Army, I never did the change of address thing so the NRA eventually lost touch with me.

A few years ago, I contacted them and they reinstated my membership. I think my parents paid something like $150 for the lifetime deal. Anyway they sent me a Life Member Jacket for free.

You can opt out of the junk mail if you choose.
    And they are offering free memberships right now so whacagottolose?

bwdilli

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    I joined the NRA back about 15 years ago. After that my mailbox was stuffed constantly by mailing trying to scare me out of my money so that they could protect my 2nd Amendment rights. The constant calls started coming shortly after that. I got fed up with seeing the money I used for my membership being used for those purposes. Calls made to them to get them to stop did no good.

Like others have said before I started looking into what they have actually accomplished. I came to the conclusion that due to their compromises we where heading down the "slippery slope" that they preach about. Instead of drawing the line and standing their ground and because of their hunting focus the real reason for the 2nd Amendment was getting feed to the wolves. I still don't think they believe the same thing that I do about what the 2nd Amendment is actually for.

If they spent half the money that they spend on solicitations trying to clean up their public reputation and figured out what it's actually all about, I would reconsider my stand.

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    I am an NRA member because some places I shoot require membership (like, "what is your NRA member number?"). When I lived in California, the state organization (CRPA) was far more effective in lobbying. As bad as CA laws are, they would have been worse without CRPA. I see TSRA doing the same kind of work at the state level.

If there were no NRA, some organization would have sprung up. Also note that ILA is the lobbying arm and seems like most of the solicitations I get are from them. I consider the education and competition areas of NRA to be worthwhile, not so much the lobbying.

Lee

deadeye1964

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    GRAPEVINE
    I will never join the NRA. Contrary to popular belief they have actually supported gun control on many occasions. Since pro gun people just assume the NRA will help protect the rights to bear arms they will simply sign up with them. No one bothers to research the organization. That unfortunately is part of Americas problem. We just believe what we hear and don't uncover facts for ourselves.
    I'm sure this will start a debate too. I'm on my iPhone right now by once I get home I'll link some pages showing NRA deceives there members.

I agree in part to what you are saying. The reason I do support the NRA is even though they are not perfect and I do not agree with 100% of what they do, they are our best chance to fight the liberals in Washington. For every person who actually contacts their representatives, there are a lot more who do not. Do you believe that if the NRA did not exist, we would have the gun freedoms we have today ? They are our only BIG VOICE in Washington that keeps the liberal's from taking every gun we have that goes bang. Forget the assult weapon's, I believe your right to carry an SA pistol would be stripped.

Top Bottom