Military Camp

If you could have only one gun, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    You have to accept the premise. For whatever reason you are down to one, and only one, gun. Shipwreck at sea, bug out to escape calamity, whatever. Of all the guns you own, if you could have only one. Which one would it be? It's a tough choice for me. I'm torn between three. But I would have to choose my S&W Model 28 .357 magnum.
    My 16x16x8.57 drilling I hunt way more than I defend my castle
    Military Camp

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    images.jpeg

Or twins will do.

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I would take my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. In the scenario you refer to I could find more ammo even if not perfect, and if all else fails I can use it as a club.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    For whatever reason you are down to one, and only one, gun.
    Well, that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? What's the reason?

In a time of peace, love, and happiness where the reason is that I can afford only one gun, I'll take my 3" M60 S&W. With practice ammo using just primers, I can practice indoors anywhere. It carries well. It has enough power for defensive use. It's easy to reload for. It's accurate enough to enjoy at the range. In a time of peace, I've often considered it my "one gun to rule them all."

If it's a SHTF scenario where I'm caught in the city, I'll take a 9mm PCC with a can. I have one but I'd need a can.

If it's a SHTF scenario where I'm in the suburbs or farther out but expect to run into trouble, any decent suppressed MSR will do. Same story; I have a decent AK but I'd need a can. With a little warning, I'd opt for something in an AR pattern, probably in .223 with a minimum in extra accessories to include a .22LR conversion. Since the question doesn't rule this out, I may as well also stock up on every upper in every chambering that might conceivably come in handy, including pistol calibers and single-shot conversions for really big cartridges.

If it's a SHTF scenario where I'm well away from trouble but need to be mobile, I just need something small but versatile. I'll pick a full-size, steel 1911 with conversion kits so that I can shoot, at minimum, .45, 9mm, .22LR, .223, and .308 Win. from the same pistol. Having one that's set up to take a shoulder stock is a good idea.

For each reason, I've assumed unlimited ammo, components, etc., and given just one choice. If anyone wants to ask the question more narrowly, I could respond to that, too. :)

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    AR-15 16' 223 Wylde with a bayonet lug, Law Tactical Folder, Cry Havoc QRB, light, offset red dot and a scope and CMMG 22LR drop in alternate action, and enough spare parts and barrels for a Century...

samr46

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2020
    Houston, TX
    I’d go with my Sig P210, accurate, Sig quality, bulk ammo reasonable weight. Close second my Ruger Takedown Lite with Leupold scope. Portable, good range, cheap, lightweight ammo.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

In a time of peace, love, and happiness where the reason is that I can afford only one gun, I'll take my 3" M60 S&W. With practice ammo using just primers, I can practice indoors anywhere. It carries well. It has enough power for defensive use. It's easy to reload for. It's accurate enough to enjoy at the range. In a time of peace, I've often considered it my "one gun to rule them all."

If it's a SHTF scenario where I'm caught in the city, I'll take a 9mm PCC with a can. I have one but I'd need a can.

If it's a SHTF scenario where I'm in the suburbs or farther out but expect to run into trouble, any decent suppressed MSR will do. Same story; I have a decent AK but I'd need a can. With a little warning, I'd opt for something in an AR pattern, probably in .223 with a minimum in extra accessories to include a .22LR conversion. Since the question doesn't rule this out, I may as well also stock up on every upper in every chambering that might conceivably come in handy, including pistol calibers and single-shot conversions for really big cartridges.

If it's a SHTF scenario where I'm well away from trouble but need to be mobile, I just need something small but versatile. I'll pick a full-size, steel 1911 with conversion kits so that I can shoot, at minimum, .45, 9mm, .22LR, .223, and .308 Win. from the same pistol. Having one that's set up to take a shoulder stock is a good idea.

For each reason, I've assumed unlimited ammo, components, etc., and given just one choice. If anyone wants to ask the question more narrowly, I could respond to that, too. :)

You can make a can pretty easily with some basic metalshop work. They're only expensive because of the government tax and regulations. I can probably make one out of things in my garage. So if SHTF you don't need to worry about getting a can you can make one.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX

Seems to me that you kinda didn't answer the OP's question... or maybe you did, you just left every potential option open... hmmm... have you considered being a polititian? :laughing:

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    One gun... I’m gonna do something crazy and say my keltec sub2000 with my suppressor. Using 147 grainers. I don’t want attention if I’m trying to survive.
    what suppressor ore you running on the Sub? I did not have much luck with mine. Twice as loud as with Extar or Glk 19.

Top Bottom