Venture Surplus ad

If you could have only one gun, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    If it's a SHTF scenario where I'm caught in the city, I'll take a 9mm PCC with a can. I have one but I'd need a can.

I agree.

Mine would be an HK SP5 with an Omega 9K. 30 rd mags. Small enough to carry without much trouble in the house or on the road. Good enough to reach out and touch someone at some distance. 9mm easier to carry than 5.56.

Mjdean77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Houston area
    You have to accept the premise. For whatever reason you are down to one, and only one, gun. Shipwreck at sea, bug out to escape calamity, whatever. Of all the guns you own, if you could have only one. Which one would it be? It's a tough choice for me. I'm torn between three. But I would have to choose my S&W Model 28 .357 magnum.
    .30-30 tactical lever gun!

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    what suppressor ore you running on the Sub? I did not have much luck with mine. Twice as loud as with Extar or Glk 19.

My old Sub2K used to be my favorite gun - until I set up an AR with a Law Tactical folder and a Cry Havoc QRB and can fit it in a smaller space than a Sub2K and shoot 22LR or .223 as long as I carry a conversion kit.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    m3-maws.jpg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Me, I'd not go with a pistol like some of you guys would do. I think a pistol is simply too limited in application & range (for most shooters) and most, I think, are too complex for the average shooter to repair should they need repairing.

I'd probably go with a higher quality AK-47 like an Arsenal SLR series (but I'd settle for a WASR 10 if no other was available). They don't break often, I have lots of ammo for one, magazines readily available (I have lots of them too) and hold 30 rounds (my preference), it can be used as an assault or defensive weapon and you can hunt most big game and many small game animals with it, ammo is out there in quantity (even now); you can throw a bayonet on them if you desire (at least on some of them). They also are simple to care for, parts for them are available and even in a Zombie Apocalypse you could find parts for it somewhere (they'd pobably be more available than they are now).

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    AR pistol.

Its compact enough to carry around all day and not be too cumbersome, if carrying a weapon all day was necessary. It could be "concealed" under a duster or trench coat if one wanted to conceal it. The duster coat would probably catch more attention than a slung long gun in a lot of places though.

Its compact enough to likewise fit in a vehicle well enough, and is small enough to be fairly easily deployed inside a vehicle if necessary.

The capability of the gun & the round - taking small game or taking on two legged animals - you could kill any animal found in Texas with a 5.56 / .223 with judicious marksmanship.

In a WROL scenario there will be lots of others running around with similar weapons using the same ammo so should the need to resupply arise, you could theoretically barter, trade, or otherwise obtain replacement parts or ammo as the situation dictated.

In a WROL scenario, having a rifle caliber weapon would be more advantageous than a pistol caliber weapon if you had to use it.

In a WROL scenario or even a ROL scenario where you're under attack from someone wearing armor - 5.56 is probably going to punch thru, whereas shotguns or pistols likely won't.

Its the most modular option available to me as well - can be converted into larger or smaller packages if parts are still obtainable. Can swap calibers pretty readily if parts are available.

2nd pick would be 12 ga shotgun because of ammo selection, and pump guns being fairly reliable.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    One AR lower with some diff cal uppers and a .22LR conversion kit...........22LR to .458 SOCOM and a bunch in between........still "one" gun.

ADAMS75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    ITASCA, TX
    If I had to take a pistol, it would probably be a 9mm since this is the most common cartridge in the world and probably a glock 17 or 19 because these things are everywhere and spare parts and magazines should be easy to come by. Same if it was a rifle, a bolt action 308 as this one of the most common calibers and a 7.62x51 nato will also work. Best bet would be a good 22 rifle because you can carry more ammo than any other round.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    "If you could have only one gun, which one?"

That's like asking what would I prefer to have done to me:
    Piledrived right on the concrete floor OR DDTed right into a steel chair.
    Not an easy question to answer! :D

Top Bottom