• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Deadlift was most of the cause of my back problem due to rounding out the low back. Starting off with a diamond bar may be beneficial if they have one

Eckolancer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Plano
    I will say my form on squats is horrible but never have back pains. Even with my form jacked up on heavy weights. I’m now working towards 500 for 1 after meeting my goal of 400 for 1. I weigh only 170 and have a hard time keeping weight on as I just can’t force enough food down. I was only 120 pounds all the way through my 20s now am 37 and feel like I’m finally able to keep some weight on. I don’t do cardio much any more maybe 5 mins of HIIT once every month.

Here is a pic of me
    e6fb7ee37ce6ebe601951da23673860e.jpg

Sent from airport pay phone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I wouldn't worry about weight. Go by the tape measure. Chest, neck, biceps, thighs. Forget a weight scale. Strive for diameter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    LBM vs Fat is what I thought you would use as the golden rule

Kinda. Strongman lifters are fat and huge. Bodybuilders are lean and cut.

With the gift of high metabolism, go for muscle size. Being slightly over fed is better then a diet during building muscle.

If you have 22" arms and can pick 400-500# off the floor. Who cares if you're fat?...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yep. You can be an offensive lineman or a wide receiver. Big and slow or fast and lean.

At the end of the day. Nobody outside the gym will say a word either way.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Well, I'm here at home with a heating pad on my shoulder.

Nothing bad, I just figured out I need to stretch and warm up more and do more mobility work on my shoulders as part of my training.

I'm now progressing into dead lifts, box squats and military press as my weekly routine.
    I can feel my shoulders, neck and core really respond.

I don't even use the isolation machines much anymore, except for leg press and delt and peck fly machines.

I'm also now eating 250 more calories per day than I was 3 weeks ago and still losing about 1 lb per week.

I'm up 210 grams a protein a day and taking Creatine pre workout and BCAA during workout

Feeling this good is additctive

NorTexTony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2017
    Last thanksgiving I weighed 209 (5’11”, 40yo). My blood pressure was in stage 1 hypertension consistently, also pre-dietetic. I have always worked out to gain weight. I ate fast food and ice cream, drank coke everyday. I didn’t look overweight but a BMI reading for health insurance said i was borderline obese. I started one hell of a diet and now I’m at 185lb, (same height, same age.. joke). And my blood pressure has been in a very healthy range. My diet has been primarily beans,.. lots of beans, spinach, hard boiled eggs, and lean beef. Cutting out all soda is a big factor in my opinion. I also dropped the weight and upped the reps at the gym. I used to do 5 sets of 6-8 reps and now I’m doing 3-4 sets of 20 reps. I get far more positive muscle soreness this way. I stopped drinking the energy drinks and the pre-workout. I used the pre-workout for so long i couldn’t imagine not using it but now I’m used to it and don’t miss it. I’ll drink a cup of coffee before i workout and that seems to do the trick. Im a 40yo father of 2 and have the best body I’ve had in my entire life. I never took diet serious and now it’s what has completely changed my life. I’ve stopped snoring (happy wife) and not sweating at night like i used to. I feel good. Calorie intake is down and protein intake is up. There are some other things i think helped in my routine such as when to eat/workout, but just wanted to share this. If you read this far i appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Last thanksgiving I weighed 209 (5’11”, 40yo). My blood pressure was in stage 1 hypertension consistently, also pre-dietetic. I have always worked out to gain weight. I ate fast food and ice cream, drank coke everyday. I didn’t look overweight but a BMI reading for health insurance said i was borderline obese. I started one hell of a diet and now I’m at 185lb, (same height, same age.. joke). And my blood pressure has been in a very healthy range. My diet has been primarily beans,.. lots of beans, spinach, hard boiled eggs, and lean beef. Cutting out all soda is a big factor in my opinion. I also dropped the weight and upped the reps at the gym. I used to do 5 sets of 6-8 reps and now I’m doing 3-4 sets of 20 reps. I get far more positive muscle soreness this way. I stopped drinking the energy drinks and the pre-workout. I used the pre-workout for so long i couldn’t imagine not using it but now I’m used to it and don’t miss it. I’ll drink a cup of coffee before i workout and that seems to do the trick. Im a 40yo father of 2 and have the best body I’ve had in my entire life. I never took diet serious and now it’s what has completely changed my life. I’ve stopped snoring (happy wife) and not sweating at night like i used to. I feel good. Calorie intake is down and protein intake is up. There are some other things i think helped in my routine such as when to eat/workout, but just wanted to share this. If you read this far i appreciate it.

I'm in a similar situation. 210lbs 5'10" 37 years old.
    Had labs beginning of the year, Triglycerides are so far off the chart they are unable to calculate my HDL and LDL.... 477
    Glucose is 117 and both my parents are diabetic.

I went from working out 6 days a week until 2003 when I cut back to 0 days a year.

My Dr, a younger DO, didn't tell me the typical do this, do that, take these, etc.
    He told me no carbs (obviously no sugar), and lift weights. I can stack carbs on heavy workout days. Doing this for life I may be able to avoid diabetes, a sliver of hope that I'll take.

I went home and binge ate like there was no tomorrow, Friday thru Sunday. Been low carb since (2 weeks now) and I'm about 196lbs.

Next task is hitting the gym.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

NorTexTony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2017
    I went home and binge ate like there was no tomorrow, Friday thru Sunday. Been low carb since (2 weeks now) and I'm about 196lbs.

Next task is hitting the gym.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

That’s good! Keep it up! I’m not a freak about the diet. This morning I had stuffed French toast and fries for breakfast. But it’s a general overall average thing for me. My fathers side was heavily plagued with diabetes. Amputations left and right (no pun intended). Also i feel once you start getting active it’s easier to eat better. And for me it’s been a hell of a lot cheaper.

Also to stay on topic with the thread title. Deadlifts is really the only area I go fairly heavy on. I try to get 4-5 sets of a difficult 10 reps. Squats i go middle of the road. And lots of resistance ab work to avoid back issues.

Keep it up! They say how you enter your 40’s is how you leave your 40’s. I don’t know who ‘they’ are but it somewhat makes sense. I’ll take anything as motivation these days.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have been eating clean for 2 months now.
    I lost 65 lbs over 10 months last year by eating a calorie restricted diet. I ate 1800 a day and lost weight every month.
    No matter how I ate them, I only had 1800 a day.

Now that I have been lifting for 2 months, my trainer has me eating at my BMR (2250) I started this 3 weeks ago and I am still losing weight!
    Last month I lost 2% body fat and 4 lbs and gained almost 2lbs of LBM

My macros goals are 40% Protein 30% Fat 30% Carb
    my protein number is 210 grams a day

I am have a blast eating now. I am eating 4 meals a day.
    I workout 5 days a week.

Train hard, eat right and rest

Top Bottom