• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hey-zeus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    El Paso
    Hi everyone. I joined this forunm long ago and thought I would be able to meetup with you fine folks more often, but ever since I moved to the far eastside I pretty much thought it was almost pointless to post, that and I was unclear how often you guys meet since not much activity is posted on this. If you guys meet up on Sundays aroung 10am that's good, b/c I will have a few Sundays off (schedule fluctuates) I know this is late notice, but if meeting up this sun or next, let me know. I remember once, I met randmplumbing and Espnazi and three others I no longer see posting. I'm new to guns, I only own a 9mm that I usually shoot off of Montana over here then back home :( What I'm really interested in is learning to reload, but of course that's another discussion.
    Guns International

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Hi everyone. I joined this forunm long ago and thought I would be able to meetup with you fine folks more often, but ever since I moved to the far eastside I pretty much thought it was almost pointless to post, that and I was unclear how often you guys meet since not much activity is posted on this. If you guys meet up on Sundays aroung 10am that's good, b/c I will have a few Sundays off (schedule fluctuates) I know this is late notice, but if meeting up this sun or next, let me know. I remember once, I met randmplumbing and Espnazi and three others I no longer see posting. I'm new to guns, I only own a 9mm that I usually shoot off of Montana over here then back home :( What I'm really interested in is learning to reload, but of course that's another discussion.

I don't post here as often as I use to. Busy, just like everyone else. Got a few projects in the works.....you know.

I have showed a few people how to reload. It is not that hard if you just pay attention to details. If you are serious about learning, I can show you how I do it.

Again, I think I will try to put together another group shoot sometime soon. It has been a while, so.......

I will post a date, once I get it figured out. It will be soon !

Hey-zeus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    El Paso
    Cool, well when you do try to give a month's worth of heads up, since it takes me awhile to check this site sometimes, or e-mail me tnismo96hb@gmail(dot)com

also, if there's anyone whom likes to shoot off Montana (east), pm me, I try to go out there about once a month.

thanks

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I used to live on the westside and now live in the far east and live about 4 minutes from the indoor range which is where I will most likely be going if I like it. I have never been there before. I will start checkong this site more often.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

CEOofEVIL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    El Paso
    I can second the EPCC Indoor Range. It's at the Mission Valley Campus, and is inside the Law Enforcement building.

By far my favorite "real" range in El Paso - it's affordable, very permissable with training (You can draw from the holster/concealment, go prone, rapid fire, etc.), state of the art (electronic target control systems), heated/cooled, well lit, and most importantly safe.

In order to use the range you either need:

-To be LEO
    -To be Military
    -Have a CHL
    -Take a Firerams Safety class at EPCC.

I hate the way this sounds, but those restrictions generally keep the unsafe folks out. I'm not saying LEO/MIL or even CHL'ers aren't guilty of gross Safety Violations, but the the vast majority of shooters I've encountered at this range were very serious about what they were praticing there. I mostly see LEO (ICE/CBP agents) there, but there are average Joe CHL'ers too. I've NEVER seen any horsing around. The range has an absolute ZERO TOLERANCE policy for safety issues. I've never had to contend with any Armchair Tacticians or the like there, which I like. I'm there to shoot and practice, not deal with someone who thinks they are LAV or Ken Hackathorne.

The Firearms Safety class is free, by the way. You just need to call the office at (915) 831-7118 and inquire about it. My wife took the class and it was about half a day long, and was well worth the time and effort to be able to use the range. As far as price, If I recall correctly I paid about $40 for 40 visits, but I also think there is a $20 for 8 visit card as well (which is much more pricey than the first option, obviously). You get free targets with the visits (Silouttes, bullseyes, etc.) which freakin' rocks, IMHO. I believe that the range can handle anything up to .50 (don't qoute me on that for sure), but it only goes out to 25 yards.

The bad? You cannot shoot any rifle ammo that has steel in the bullet itself. This means any rifle bullet with a bi-metal jacket (IE: Monarch Steel .223 FMJ's) OR that is designed to be Armor Piercing/has a steel core. My understanding is that this is to keep the back stop from excess/dangerous wear and to prevent fire hazards. I wouldn't expect to shoot tracers or anything similar to that either. You also cannot shoot reloaded ammo, which I understand can be a major downside for those that reload. They run full hours on weekends (9AM-4PM), but shorter hours during the week (5PM-9:30PM) since the primary purpose of the range is to serve the LE academy on campus. Because of this, they also will have the range closed for official use on the odd occasion. Since it is a school, the range also is NOT open on most holidays or holiday weekends (bummer!). It's also fairly far out of town if you don't live on the eastside. None of the above are really any negative points for me, as I don't mind making the drive to use the facilities and I generally use factory ammo.

I'm not 100% sure how they feel about NFA items, but if I recall correctly they don't allow them (also a bummer if you have some of those fun toys).

It's a different type of range to be sure - the mood is generally that of a very serious one, and less of the sporting arms feel and more of the self defense or offensive use (LEO/MIL) feeling. I suppose that might bother some people, but it's just what I'm looking for. Don't let that discourage you or scare you away though, because I've taken my .22's to the range several times and I've never felt uncomfortable or unwanted. It's a great place to learn, stay proficient, or just plink if you want, but you obviously can't shoot a round of sporting clays there. It's worth mentioning that I probably only live about 5 minutes from the Rod & Gun club, but it's just not my kind of place (to each their own, y'know?).

I still love practicing and training in the desert though - you truly can setup anything you want without having to worry about rules or interference for the most part. I recently found out about another spot off the Anthony Gap road (NM 404) that is owned by BLM, and is a pretty nice spot. I use the term "nice" loosely though - since it's BLM, it's pretty freakin' trashed. Old shooting trash and just general debris is ALL over the place, which is sad. I had a nice chat with a BLM Agent there a few weeks back, and he mentioned that they cleaned it out a few years back and got at least 4 or 5 fullsize dumpsters full of crap out of there. It's pretty well suited for longer range shooting compared to the spot in Santa Teresa (in my opinion) as the main shooting area, which is located in a dry watering hole-like area, goes out to at least 200 yards in my estimation (for what that's worth, I'm bad at math!). It is a pretty busy place tho, so unless you go at an odd time you're going to have to share the range with a few folks, and depending on circumstances that might be a problem.

At any rate, I think we're pretty spoiled here in EP as far as ranges go. We don't have a whole lot of options, but we do have a whole lot of desert! Pretty much something for everyone here, even if you do have to look around for some of the spots sometimes. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Here is more information on the Basic Firearms Safety, Handling and Proficiency Course I found in a brochure for anyone that is interested. All info that follows is from the EPCC Range brochure:

This course is designed to provide the basic knowledge and skills necessary for a gun owner to safely handle firearms. Exposes students to safety at home and on the firing range, teach them the laws pertaining to the use of force, and develop proficiency with their handguns on the firing range.

Pre-requisites:
    *Must be at least 18 years of age
    *Students MUST call the Training Academy prior to the day of class for additional instructions. Available at MDP Law Enforcement Academy: 831-7118
    *Classes are held on the first saturday of each month.
    *The course is provided FREE of cost to the public.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    The indoor range is where I am going to go shoot. Since I live so darn close. And I have always shot in Santa Teresa and at the Rod and Gun club sometimes. However I don't reload so that is not a problem. I like the Free Targets. I have never shot at an indoor range so that is also what peaked my interest.

I gotta get my CHL soon too though. Since I have to wait to take the class to shoot there anyway.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I shoot in Anthony Gap. PM me if any of you ever want to go. I live close by.

In the desert? or at the El Paso Gun Club range there? I live in Canutillo and I go out to Santa Teresa. I used to be a member of the El Paso Gun Club out there in Anthony. Also used to go out to Black Mountain near Las Cruces, but got chased outta there one day....never went back.lol

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    In the desert? or at the El Paso Gun Club range there? I live in Canutillo and I go out to Santa Teresa. I used to be a member of the El Paso Gun Club out there in Anthony. Also used to go out to Black Mountain near Las Cruces, but got chased outta there one day....never went back.lol

Yea in the desert but there is a designated shooting area there that has a sign at the gate that says something like, "shooters please pick up your shells". I don't like going to ranges. This place is about 2-3 miles in on Ohara Rd.(404) Big open area.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    Dang...i used to live in Anthony and now in Canutillo, and never knew about that spot. I like the desert spot in Santa Teresa, but will have to look into the Anthony Gap area.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Dang...i used to live in Anthony and now in Canutillo, and never knew about that spot. I like the desert spot in Santa Teresa, but will have to look into the Anthony Gap area.

Yea, let me know if you do. You'll like it. Most of the time you'll be the only one there towards the beginning or end and even the whole time you're there. Imagine an oval-ish space about 65 square yards, and an 8 foot ditch dividing it that you can drive down in shoot in there as well. Its a GREAT spot. Next time you go out you should make it a point to go THERE.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Can you give me directions to the spot off of NM404. Just moved here from Georgia and I'm trying o cout out a couple places to shoot. Thanks.

Type in "New Mexico 404" in google maps.

Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    ScreenShot2012-08-09at15238PM.gif

DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    ScreenShot2012-08-09at15308PM.gif

DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
    ScreenShot2012-08-09at15618PM.gif

The gate to the entrance has a sign that asks shooters to pick up their shells and trash and a new one that says the gate must be kept closed. Have fun!

Oh, and your welcome...

LT41mag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    El Paso
    Hey folks. I'm the second VP of the Ft. Bliss Rod and Gun Club advisory council. If you are presently a member of the Rod and Gun Club and your membership is coming up for renewal please do so early. The reason is you get a 10% discount on your membership renewal.

Membership Fees

Effective 1 Feb,2009Yearly6 MonthDaily
    E-1–E-6$40$25$7
    E-7 and above$65$35$9
    Civilian Law Enforcement$85$50$10
    U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy$60 (9 Month)$9
    Retired Military, 100% Disabled Vets$70$40$9
    DOD Civilians, NAF Employes$75$45$10
    Civilian Non Military

100% disabled vets now receive free membership upon approval by management.

With membership you get a 10% discount in the Pro Shop.

We have a full service bar.

We have a kitchen that serves breakfast and lunch on Sat and Sun, Tue.-Fri. The kitchen is open 10-3.

Monday is members only. Bar and Pro Shop is open on Mondays.

Range 1

Range 1a reserved for LEO org's.

Range 1b is Blackpowder,pistol,shotgun and rifle.

Range 2

Range 2a is open to pistol,shotgun and rifle.

Range 2b is open to pistol,shotgun and rifle.

Range 2c is open to pistol,shotgun and rifle.

Range 2d is open to pistol,shotgun and rifle.

Range 2 is where USPSA and IPSC 101 matches take place.

Range 3

Range 3 is a covered pistol,shotgun and rifle range. It has concrete parking for handicapp vehicles. It is also elevated.

Range 4

Range 4 is shot gun only. It consists of one 5 stand field and 4 Trap and Skeet fields.

Range 5 is rifle only. The shooting positions are covered and has a concrete parking pad for disabled shooters.

Range 5 is also our 1,000 meter range.

Range 6

Range 6a is pistol only. It's marked at 3,7 and 15 yards in case you want to practice for your CHL.

Range 6b is pistol only. It's a 25 meter range only. Shooting position is covered.

Range 6c is pistol only and usually reserved for CHL qualification or classes but is open for use when not reserved for other use.

Range 7

Range 7 is a 100 meter rifle only range. It's covered and has a concrete parking pad for the disabled.

Range 8

Range 8 is our plinking range. It's for pistol,rifle and shotgun.

Range 9

Range 9 is a rifle only range. It's a 300 yard range but is expandable to 600 during certain matches.

Range 10

Range 10 is our Achery Range.

There are numerous matches held weekly at the Rod and Gun Club so please come out,shoot with us and become a member. At the highest membership cost of $95 your monthly costs to enjoy the shooting sports is just under $8 a month. Hard to beat that cost anywhere.

LT41mag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    El Paso
    Not sure what the rules are for civilians living on post but us regular folk dont have too. If your military I'm guessing they have to. At least on my day you did

Top Bottom