• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Suppose you had $100,000 to spend on a slice of heaven (I don't, just saying ). Where in Texas would you buy? Would you want land to hunt, build a stocked pond, farm something (anything), raise a livestock, camp, urban retreat (to get away from it all without starting your car).

Would you buy something that took you all day to walk (West Texas) or something you could spit across (Houston).

I'm more of a state park person (can come and go without taking care of anything) but would like something on the Frio River for camping and canoeing.
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't buy anything near Austin, San Antonio, DFW, Corpus or Houston as every smaller city near any of those major cities is basically turning into a suburb of the main city. I would want to buy out in the middle of nowhere, but it's getting tougher to figure out where exactly now. ;) I dunno, I would have to say somewhere more in the W / NW part of Texas, as I really can't say that I've seen near as much development up that direction in comparison to most other areas.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Been there, done that 15 years ago.

I bought within a reasonable commute of DFW as I still needed a good paying job, and could not maintain my lifestyle on income produced off of a $100,000 piece of land.

I can do all those things (hunt, stocked pond, farm land, raise a livestock, camp) and I live here 24x7 to boot. In fact, between this paragraph and the first one, I stepped outside to dump 2 mags from my M16 off my back porch.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    N/E Central Texas, Lee County north to Limestone County areas (Giddings north to Marlin). Close enough to civilization that you could go into town occasionally but far enough our to get a decent sized slice of heaven and avoid the big city hustle and bustle.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I wouldn't buy anything near Austin, San Antonio, DFW, Corpus or Houston as every smaller city near any of those major cities is basically turning into a suburb of the main city. I would want to buy out in the middle of nowhere, but it's getting tougher to figure out where exactly now. ;) I dunno, I would have to say somewhere more in the W / NW part of Texas, as I really can't say that I've seen near as much development up that direction in comparison to most other areas.

We "got the hell out of Dodge" (actually Ft. Worth) in '84, to a gated thing at Granbury, TX....Problem was not bad outsider's crime coming in, it was some of the denizens living inside. Swapped that mess for a small farm in Comanche County where I can shoot in any direction but toward the highway and toward my neighbor's house nearby. Deer, hogs, doves,
    here and only 20 miles to Lake Proctor to wet a hook. Rural folks make nice neighbors.....

ETex2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Rowlett
    Here's some free advice from someone who has been a real estate appraiser for the last 26 years:

Buy land near Athens, TX. Most beautiful spot within 2 hours of Dallas.

BTW - I have 12.98 heavily wooded acres of land for sale, near Athens, TX.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I saw a nice piece of property near Rocksprings. Unfortunately, I don't have a rich uncle. Besides, the wife does not want to drive further than Austin or San Antonio. :(

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Anywhere out in the middle of the Hill Country, or along a river in East Texas. But I dunno if $100,000 would buy enough land for me...

CharlieBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I'd love to spend 100k on land. If you are in it for the long term, make sure you've got a solid water source.

I am partial to Hill country, myself. Gruene, even west of San Marcos are my favorite areas.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'd like to find a nice size place although I would probably never go there, lol....gotta live where I'm at to pay the bills.

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I stayed in Fredericksburg for a while, its pretty close to 'middle of nowhere', I had no worries about shooting 7.62 rounds at 2am, plus everyone I met there were pretty down to earth, gun loving country folk.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    .....could build you a nice closet......

Considered that, then the first visit to the Cabelas in Kyle changed my mind. They were selling "outdoorsy"...well, really cheesy cedar furniture for unbelieveable prices. At their prices I figure I've got between $2,000,000 and $3,000,000 worth of cedar on my place. Just have to get it to market, you understand...

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Considered that, then the first visit to the Cabelas in Kyle changed my mind. They were selling "outdoorsy"...well, really cheesy cedar furniture for unbelieveable prices. At their prices I figure I've got between $2,000,000 and $3,000,000 worth of cedar on my place. Just have to get it to market, you understand...

Just get ya one of these.....

Tree cutter FTW :: Cool

Top Bottom