• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you were going to live in a RV for 18 months would you chose

A motor home towing a transportation vehicle or a Truck and travel trailer ?
    Lynx Defense

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shady,

As I was a "full-timer" for over 10 years (after my beloved Vickie died).
    I owned/lived in BOTH in those years & IMO there is NO reason to full-time in a motorhome, UNLESS you plan to move from place to place, OFTEN.

Further, IMO, it's HARD to beat a HD 3/4 or one ton DIESEL PU as a tow vehicle for a travel trailer or "park model".

IF I was going "full-timer" again (I'm likely NOT.), I would look for a FORD HD 3/4 ton PU with a BAD motor & have it converted to a "FUMMINS", i.e., a Ford PU with a 100% quality-rebuilt 4BT or (pre-1998, 12-valve) 6BT CUMMINS engine/transmission.
    (Fwiw, I have a friend who has a FUMMINS with 6BT & now has in excess of 300K trouble-free miles on the truck. = They are about as "bulletproof" as PU engines get.)
    NOTE: a 4BT or 6BT will run FINE on a 50-50 mixture of "filtered French fry grease" & petro-diesel.
    (An old-school 4BT, out of a big forklift or step-van, properly rebuilt, will last essentially forever in a tow vehicle BUT they are rather NOISY & "clatter" quite a bit. = Otoh, I know a commercial fisherman who has run the same 4BT in a commercial fish-boat every day for over 20 years, W/O problems.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    If you plan on moving every two or three days — motor home.

If you will be in place a week or so — 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    If you plan on moving every two or three days — motor home.

If you will be in place a week or so — 5er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tangoparson,

IF I was going "full-timer" again & was planning to move about a LOT, I might go with a BIG/diesel MH (like a BLUEBIRD) & a motor-scooter, on a rear bumper-mount.

yours, satx

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    My wife, daughter and I are actually living in a travel trailer now and will be here for about 18 months also. We've been here for about 2 months now. We're living on our paid off land and are saving to build a small debt free house. I'm f***ing done with rent and I want no part of a mortgage.

Anyways, we're in a 2015 33ft Forest River. I chose this one because it has 2 bedrooms, not just bunks. I wanted my daughter to have a room. I considered an RV, but I'll always have a pickup, so I figured theres no point in maintaining 2 engines. I also would not have found the layout of rooms that I did and stay within my target budget.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF I was going "full-timer" again, I would look for a NORTHERN-built trailer, as the trailers made to be used "way up yonder" are much TIGHTER & MUCH BETTER insulated & so easier/cheaper to heat & AC.

Imo, "going cheap" in a RV is FALSE economy.

yours, satx

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Truck/trailer.

Trailer selection can be a driver for truck selection. Be aware the state may want you to get a Class A/B license based on weight.

3/4 tons can be tongue/payload limited.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    To All,

IF I was going "full-timer" again, I would look for a NORTHERN-built trailer, as the trailers made to be used "way up yonder" are much TIGHTER & MUCH BETTER insulated & so easier/cheaper to heat & AC.

Imo, "going cheap" in a RV is FALSE economy.

yours, satx

Define a northern builder????? 90%+ are built in Indiana and are still not built for cold.

I don't care what they say you can't get the R rating they tout in a 2.5" thick wall.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    about why I ask

The place I work currently been there 25+ years was sold to investors 3 years ago and every year its been going down hill. At this point I can see its a sinking ship and I am a rat ready to get off so looking for that chunk of wood to escape with.

I have no intentions of staying in this small town if it shutters. Not really sure where I will end up but want to be ready to go if I need to. I will most likely rent out my current home as rent is 200-400 more than my monthly costs and I know I do not want to live in the home if I put it up for sale been there done that.

Right now I have a 2018 tacoma so very limited on towing it will put me in at the biggest a ultra light 23' and more realistic a 19'. I am single with 1 dog so might be able to swing it.

One problem I see is my empty gun safe would overload any 19'er and then there is the ammo fort.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Between the two, the truck & trailer option for sure.

Be sure though, no matter what sized trailer you fall into, that it has a fiberglass, or similar, shell. And definitely get something a little larger than you think you'll need. It's amazing how quick one of those will fill up once you put all your everyday essentials in one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    about why I ask

The place I work currently been there 25+ years was sold to investors 3 years ago and every year its been going down hill. At this point I can see its a sinking ship and I am a rat ready to get off so looking for that chunk of wood to escape with.

I have no intentions of staying in this small town if it shutters. Not really sure where I will end up but want to be ready to go if I need to. I will most likely rent out my current home as rent is 200-400 more than my monthly costs and I know I do not want to live in the home if I put it up for sale been there done that.

Right now I have a 2018 tacoma so very limited on towing it will put me in at the biggest a ultra light 23' and more realistic a 19'. I am single with 1 dog so might be able to swing it.

One problem I see is my empty gun safe would overload any 19'er and then there is the ammo fort.
    While I understand being ready to go I believe you need to figure out where that may be before you commit to a purchase.

You could always get a bigger trailer and have it delivered to the park of your choosing.

If you rent your home out you don't want to be too far away. Got to keep your eye on it.

Lots of cheap deals on used trailers online and it doesn't sound like you plan on pulling it a bunch so I would go as big as possible.

Top Bottom